Ovechkin Wins Eighth Career Rocket Richard Trophy

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Too bad he can't stay healthy.

Bingo!

I love Matty, and he has all the talent in the world, but he "seems" to lack the drive, and cannot stay healthy (I still think he is hurting)

He maybe my guy, but he needs to stay healthy and engaged, until that point he is a great talent with huge flaws.

Reactions: Tuomas Rauhala

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Ovechkin will win this again, but he needs to pick it up again. Would be too bad if he didn't score 50 this season.

Many players had great goal scoring seasons this season yet not a single one of them was able to catch Ovechkin in the goal scoring race, no matter how hot they were.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Bingo!

I love Matty, and he has all the talent in the world, but he "seems" to lack the drive, and cannot stay healthy (I still think he is hurting)

He maybe my guy, but he needs to stay healthy and engaged, until that point he is a great talent with huge flaws.

I mean if you can produce at 40 goal pace without that extra gear that says something.

Reactions: DanM

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Caps have had a very very rough schedule. Have to play Tampa 3 times in 2 weeks.

Yeah but Ovi owns Tampa. Vasi has had some unreal saves on him in the first two matchups. He’s been playing really well during this “slump.” Flood gates will open.

Just wish he hadn’t passed on that ENG chance on Sunday. That was a layup. I think he has something against them this year. He’s decided to pass on 3 or 4 ENGs that I can think of off the top of my head. Like they aren’t worthy.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Thing just got really interesting....

Tavares passes Leon and is only 3 off Ovechkin. Draisaitl is 2 behind Johnny.

However I don't doubt for a second that Ovi is gonna go off any second now and end up with like 55.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovie is one of the most consistent players and goal scorers in NHL history. He had 49 goals in 82 games last season. He's at 48 goals with 75 games played so far (missed 1). How is that considered 'slowing down'?

Matthews has missed 14 games this season. After missing 20 games last season. Wake me up when he can stay healthy, play close to 82 games and put up 50+ actual goals.

Actually doing things is highly underrated

lol

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It wouldn’t exactly shock me to see Ovechkin remain ice cold for the remainder of the year. Everyone jumped on the guy saying he’s showing signs of slowing down. Are we already forgetting he had 29 goals in his first 32 games this season? Here we are with 6 games to go and he has a grand total of 48?

As much as we love Ovechkin, the day is coming sooner rather than later that he will not be a 50 goal scorer (or near it like the 49 last year and 48 so far this year). We’re going to see just how hard the remaining 240 goals to passing Gretzky’s record is going to be, compared to what has come before (aka he could pass Howe but Gretzky just seems out of reach).

Reactions: WingsFan95

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Ovi showing major signs of slowing down I think the age is finally getting to him. Mattews will take the rocket next season

He opted to pass on an empty net against the Flyers, and did the same earlier in the season so Backstrom could get a hat trick.

If he shoots both those pucks, he's already at 50 and we're not having this discussion.

member 262271

I'm thinking Ovie takes it. Tavares winning the rocket would be the absolute best though cause then we'd talk about how all of his goals were garbage - holy crap I see can see the future!! :laugh:

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Ovi has it hands down. IMO Tavares maybe gets 1-2 more.

I would love to see Tavares hit 50 though. Just don’t see it

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
2 goals in 9 games and only scoring in 1 game.

Me no likey.

It wouldn’t exactly shock me to see Ovechkin remain ice cold for the remainder of the year. Everyone jumped on the guy saying he’s showing signs of slowing down. Are we already forgetting he had 29 goals in his first 32 games this season? Here we are with 6 games to go and he has a grand total of 48?

As much as we love Ovechkin, the day is coming sooner rather than later that he will not be a 50 goal scorer (or near it like the 49 last year and 48 so far this year). We’re going to see just how hard the remaining 240 goals to passing Gretzky’s record is going to be, compared to what has come before (aka he could pass Howe but Gretzky just seems out of reach).

Ugh, it's tough from a fan perspective to be let-down in later stages after such hot starts.

Anywho, of course 894 will be hard but it's a matter of health and time not so much if he can do it given the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad