Ovechkin poor performer for Russia

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I think the main problem with Ovechkin is, that his combination of explosiveness, power, will and shot was on such a good level on a very young age that he never even heard of the word adjustement till his 20s. similar situation to Kovalchuck's about 2 years ago, who dominated hockey as well, but more thanks to his incredible skills.

If you compare the 2, Kovalchuck's skating and all-around play is so much more graceful and economic to his body. he's very agile, but moves in natural flow(?) , so explosive, but still lightfooted , that it seems he could play on forever without losing a lot of influence.

Ovechkin's body seems to get r-aped for a very long time by his own strengh and will and is forced into very unnatural movements with a lot of pressure on his joints in akward positions, (comparable to a young Nadal) add his heavy hitting, and hard skating, it's hard to imagine him playing all his career on this energy level.

as unique as he is as a talent, he got to adjust his game, or he'll have peaked early. he got one weakness, that was well covered for a long time. his hockey I.Q. is average (and miles behind e.g. Datsyuk or Radulov), and may could be big obstacle on his way to grow smarter. When you take his energy play and physical strengh away, he isn't even close skillwise to the best russian forwards IMO.

that said I'd like to see him on a line with Heartukhin or Kulemin at that stage.... or even better replace him with Tarasenko.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
His mind is clearly somewhere else, probably still in Tampa, because despite what some people have written, he's generally been very good in big games. He shouldn't have come, but he feels an obligation to do so.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
rumor has it that it is his hip, not his knee. He shot down knee rumors on the Caps' break up day. That's on top of the wrist that's bothered him all season long.

regardless of his injury, if he has one then Washington is a terribly run franchise for letting him play in the worlds, combined with saying they will keep BB, and playing green when he has obvious concussion issues still

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I've never seen Ovechkin great in the natiomal jersey, not at all like the player we've seen in the NHL. Looks way slower?

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
this team would have been better off without him. Kulemin was Russia's best player despite his 5 minutes on the ice.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
his game is more suited for the smaller NA ice

Oddly exactly what i was thinking.

This was already discussed. Try reading the entire thread next time.

On a side note, HockeyTown is now GolfTown, so enjoy the offseason. ;)

Sorry, what? I was a little distracted by the the video marathon of the last 4 Wings cups I'm running on the VCR.

Last edited by a moderator:

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
I know it sounds stupid since everyone sees him as one of the most explosive players in the game, but I really wish OV would work on his stride. He wastes so much energy with the way he skates (lots of short quick strides). Can you imagine what he could do if he had Niedermayer's stride to complement his natural speed/explosiveness? That and just improving his fitness, and he'd demolishing his personal scoring records.

Really hope he can find a way back to his old form though..
Honestly, even though he had a solid run in the playoffs... he's just not the same right now. Go watch his old highlights, its like he's missing a whole dimension in his game.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
the Russians should leave him alone. what do they expect?
he comes over just one day after his dream gets destroyed again, is mentally down and for sure he gave it all in the NHL what means he is physically not in top condition (especially after the flight).
not to forget they destroy the line-up for him plus the hugh pressure he has because the whole world is thrilled how the Great8 can boost this already great team

I`m not suprised by his poor performance and I feel sorry for him that he gets bashed, just because he is proud to answer his country`s call, even if he knows that its nearly impossible to be Russias saviour

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm gonna state an unpopular opinion, if you don't agree with me that's fine. But bare in mind that Ovechkin is my favorite non-Swedish player, minus Datsyuk. I just want to see him play the best he can with what he has.

Ovechkin isn't very dynamic, at all. He doesn't do too many things out of his box, or improvise situations that doesn't involve pure skill. He scores at will, uses his lethal shot, strength and skating as much as he possibly could. But he is figured out, in a big way by opponents and coaches by now. That doesn't mean he isn't getting it done, but it has made him far less effective in what he does. Problem two is that his line is always about him, he needs to have the puck and he doesn't use his line mates too much. If it's because it doesn't come naturally, his coaches want it, or that he doesn't want to - that's your call. But when he's not scoring, his line quickly becomes useless since all scoring goes through him.

If he likes to come back to his dominant self, he needs to make adjustments to his game. Like start to become a better passer or try build some chemistry with his lines that isn't solely based on skill. Or what about a new move or three. Because right now coaches put all their reinforcements on him whenever his line is on the ice, and he's yet to chance something to his game that they don't have figured out.

He's a smart player and I'm sure he will make necessary adjustments, I just hope he does it sooner rather than later and is willing to improve each year.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
I've never seen Ovechkin great in the natiomal jersey, not at all like the player we've seen in the NHL. Looks way slower?

Hmmm... ok he couldn't convince in this tournament but in an Olympic game against Finland he scored 5 goals or something like that if I'm not wrong. I just don't remember in which year it was.

At least once he was great in the national russian jersey.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Hmmm... ok he couldn't convince in this tournament but in an Olympic game against Finland he scored 5 goals or something like that if I'm not wrong. I just don't remember in which year it was.

At least once he was great in the national russian jersey.

That was Bure in 98.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Whenever I see Ovechkin he does the same things and he really only knows one speed, I think if he wants to re-gain his 65 goal type form he needs to seriously get a change-up to add to his fastball.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
Larger rink is one thing which makes him look slower. Like some posters have already mentioned, I think Ovechkin as a player type is more suitable to small rink and NA playing style.

In the yesterday's game against Finland I was a bit disgusted about Ovie. He tried to shoot all the time and if he wasn't shooting he was calling for passes. I would understand that if he was a lethal scorer, but at least currently he's not. He haven't been able make a single goal in this tournament and even in NHL during regular season his S% was ~8%, which is quite awful for a player considered a goal scorer.

Maybe he will bounce back, but right now I don't consider him as a lethal scorer.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Ovechkin seems to be pretty solid 3rd grinder these days, delivering all hits to the end with a force and skates fast :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad