Ovechkin poor performer for Russia

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Thank you for proving my point.

The only "meaningful" thing OV has won in his career is a WC gold, which to be honest isn't an amazing accomplishment. His Capitals lost 3 game 7s in a row. I hope he evolves into something more than he is now, and he probably will. His best years are still ahead. He's not a very mature player at the moment, however and that might be something to do with his lack of success.

Ovechkin has one of the highest playoff PPG rates in NHL history. You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

As much as Ovechkin haters would like to believe it, hockey is actually a team sport. Team accomplishments don't tell you anything about the quality of the individual participants -- hence Ray Bourque winning no Cups for the first 20 years of his career.

MR50goalscorer

† Assyrian MMA †
Jan 26, 2008
Canada
as an OV fan, i am dissapointed with his lackluster performance.. yuk.. there is still the third period to be played, if he doesn't get a point here that my oh my ..

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Ovechkin has one of the highest playoff PPG rates in NHL history. You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

As much as Ovechkin haters would like to believe it, hockey is actually a team sport. Team accomplishments don't tell you anything about the quality of the individual participants -- hence Ray Bourque winning no Cups for the first 20 years of his career.

He may be a good goalscorer. He may rack up points. It's obvious the guy isn't a leader though. Capitals should know that the C doesn't always go to the guy with the most points. Also, Ray Bourque played for mediocre teams for most of his career. Ovechkin has been on an elite team for the last 3 years and has not even made it to the ECF. He is just not a winner, plain and simple. If you were to ask Ovi himself, I'm sure he'd trade all the personal accolades for one cup ring.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
so no points, even worse then last year, is he injured/tired after a long season? out of shape perhaps? Lets hope he finds a way to his old self...

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
He may be a good goalscorer. He may rack up points. It's obvious the guy isn't a leader though. Capitals should know that the C doesn't always go to the guy with the most points. Also, Ray Bourque played for mediocre teams for most of his career. Ovechkin has been on an elite team for the last 3 years and has not even made it to the ECF. He is just not a winner, plain and simple. If you were to ask Ovi himself, I'm sure he'd trade all the personal accolades for one cup ring.

Yeah, so neither is Ray Bourque then as pointed out by the wiz.
Stevie Y heard this same garbage for years until the Wings, THE WINGS won the cup.
Please, .......along with Knuble he was the only player that showed up against the Lightning.

Teams win championships.

Who led the Pens over the Wings, as I recall, Malkin won the Conn Smythe. Crosby had 1 goal and 2 assists in 6 games in the Cup final. No points, 2 shots and -1 in the last 2 games.

Not taking anything away from Crosby but aside from "the" goal he was invisible in the Olympics.

Dave Semenko has won 2 Cups. Wow he`s more of a winner than most NHL players....sign that man up !

Gemini

May 12, 2011
The guy should smoke a joint or something. He's constantly in the spotlight, trying to carry the world on his shoulders. He's still young and has tons of chances to win all the things there are to be won. If he was semi-injured, he should have just taken a rest and let it cool down for a while instead of perceiving it as his duty to participate in these games.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Stevie Y heard this same garbage for years until the Wings, THE WINGS won the cup.
Please, .......along with Knuble he was the only player that showed up against the Lightning.

Teams win championships.

Who led the Pens over the Wings, as I recall, Malkin won the Conn Smythe. Crosby had 1 goal and 2 assists in 6 games in the Cup final. No points, 2 shots and -1 in the last 2 games.

Not taking anything away from Crosby but aside from "the" goal he was invisible in the Olympics.

Dave Semenko has won 2 Cups. Wow he`s more of a winner than most NHL players....sign that man up !
Crosby has won so much more than Ovechkin so far in their careers, it's laughable that you're bringing his name up. On top of that, Crosby is still progressing his game (hopefully his concussion won't change him too much) whilst Ovechkin has been figured out. Right now, people have every right to criticize Ovechkin's game.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Crosby has won so much more than Ovechkin so far in their careers, it's laughable that you're bringing his name up. On top of that, Crosby is still progressing his game (hopefully his concussion won't change him too much) whilst Ovechkin has been figured out. Right now, people have every right to criticize Ovechkin's game.

Crosby has played on some really good teams in which he has won. You dont win alone

I would be pretty confident that a Canadian team with ovy and a Russian team with Crosby would still give us the same results at the olympics and WJC. Also the problem with Washington is much more than Ovy

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The reason the Pens won is because the Wings identified Crosby as the Pens' biggest threat and dedicated all of their best defensive players to neutralizing him.

They won the battle but lost the war. Hardly a mark against Crosby.

Crosby finished tied for 2nd in points, was one of the best faceoff men in the tourney, and had 2 game-winning goals.

He didn't play at a Crosby-level, but he was hardly invisible.

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
Whether it's Ovechkin, Crosby, or anybody else, you can't expect an identical level of performance in club play and international play. Some, like Kovalchuk or Jagr, are as productive at both levels. Others are not. Ovechkin has never been a very comfortable fit in the national team lineup (except when centred by Fedorov). It's a different type of hockey. His production was underwhelming too when he played for Dynamo.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Teams win championships.

True, but great leaders put great teams over the top. Great leaders aren't always the best player on the team, though. Ovechkin isn't a leader, never has been a leader and probably never will be. He will win a cup when his team gets a real leader. Ovechkin is the PERFECT "Lafleur/Bossy" "complementary" player. He just needs his Trottier/Cournoyer.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Name ONE big (elimination) game that Ovechkin has played, either for the Caps or Russia, where he really stepped up, was the best player on the ice and lead his team to victory.

lol go watch some hockey before you post newbie

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Russian self destruction was a team effort, Ovechkin's play was a reflection of that and he deserves as much blame as any other player on the team. Great teams and great coaching make great players, and vice versa. This is something that tends to get lost when evaluating players.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
so no points, even worse then last year, is he injured/tired after a long season? out of shape perhaps? Lets hope he finds a way to his old self...

Last summer, I looked at a some summer picture of AO,and it was clear that he`s not train as hard as he did when he was a rookie.
Compared to pictures from 06,he looked fat (for a hockey player) and had less muscles.
Maybe he should start summer training again?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
strange how people are freaking out when he's skating with a bad knee.

Look at Selänne before the lockout, time off, fully recover and hes the best player in the world again.

If Ovechkins knee is bad, then seriously, it can have that big a difference. Best thing for Ovechkin, for Russia and for the Caps would be to give him an extra month or two recovery and take the necessary surgery, no rush - then come back and dominate.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Yes, Ovechkin underachieved, but poorest performer for Russia was IMO Bykov who allowed Kovalchuk & co. to play 2-minute shifts, take stupid penalties and not to participate fully on defensive play. This was tactically maybe the worst Russian team I have ever seen. It looked liked the idea was that we have the best players, go on the ice and make me happy.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
name a better player from finnland

oh yeahhh right.......:sarcasm:

Right now? Almost everyone in the team, yesterday and today and tomorrow.. Ovechkin aint on hes level. Dont know whats wrong with him, but i didint see the great 8 there.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
Yes, Ovechkin underachieved, but poorest performer for Russia was IMO Bykov who allowed Kovalchuk & co. to play 2-minute shifts, take stupid penalties and not to participate fully on defensive play. This was tactically maybe the worst Russian team I have ever seen. It looked liked the idea was that we have the best players, go on the ice and make me happy.

Well during this year Kovy has improved his defensive game immensely (as it used to be non-existant), and I think he tried to utilise that during WHC too. He clearly has a lot to learn there and needs a coach to tell him what to do, so if that was missing, than I think he did more than OK in that department. He is one of few that should be last to get blamed for team perofrmance.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Well during this year Kovy has improved his defensive game immensely (as it used to be non-existant), and I think he tried to utilise that during WHC too. He clearly has a lot to learn there and needs a coach to tell him what to do, so if that was missing, than I think he did more than OK in that department. He is one of few that should be last to get blamed for team perofrmance.

As I said I don´t think it is players´fault, if there is lack of leadership and team tactics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad