Ovechkin passes Selanne,Super Mario,Yzerman and Messier for career goals. 2 more for 700 goal club.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Road Sens crowd chanting Ovi as the clock rolls down on a loss for their team. The man is transcendent.

As a longtime fan of Washington, DC sports, I have to say it’s the first time we’ve had a legend of this magnitude. He’s passing the all-time greats and people who love hockey from all over appreciate the gravity of his accomplishments, and what he’s meant to the game.

It’s been a f***ing incredible ride. I, for one, will enjoy every second of it while it lasts.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
As a long time fan of Washington, DC sports, I have to say it’s the first time we’ve had a legend of this magnitude. He’s passing the all-time greats and people who love hockey from all over appreciate the gravity of his accomplishments, and what he’s meant to the game.

It’s been a ****ing incredible ride. I, for one, will enjoy every second of it while it lasts.
Hey you had Michael Jordan for a bit.

Reactions: The Shovel Penguin

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Classy Sens fans. I like that their team is still playing hard and aren’t giving up on the season.

I hope they win the draft lottery and get LeFren.

Sens fans deserve many props. :)
So they can ride him for 10 years and trade him when he’s broken down? Let us have him we’ll take care of him. 20 year career with multiple cups. :nod:

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
CDA85041-6867-456B-AAA9-67C1421872AB.jpeg

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
This is highly probable pure fantasy and completely ridiculous and I have no problem being called out for this projection but whatever here it goes

age 34- 60 goals (718)
Age 35- 53 goals (771)
Age 36- 45 goals ( 816)
Age 37- 41 goals ( 857)
Age 38- 41goals (898)
Age 39- 37 goals (935)
Age 40- 35 goals (970)
Age 41- 30 goals (1000)

In all reality tho hes 199 goals behind Wayne and it’s becoming more and more realistic every day to get to 895.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I have to admit, he ripped through that portion of the all time list as fast as one possibly could and it’s been crazy. 11 freaking goals in his last 5 games. Just 5 games to move out of a tie with Selanne and pass Lemieux, Yzerman and Messier.

Are you kidding me?? At this given moment, I still don’t believe he passes Gretzky in the end, but he’s now exactly 200 goals from passing him. And my doubt lessened in just a span of a handful of games.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
This is highly probable pure fantasy and completely ridiculous and I have no problem being called out for this projection but whatever here it goes

age 34- 60 goals (718)
Age 35- 53 goals (771)
Age 36- 45 goals ( 816)
Age 37- 41 goals ( 857)
Age 38- 41goals (898)
Age 39- 37 goals (935)
Age 40- 35 goals (970)
Age 41- 30 goals (1000)

In all reality tho hes 199 goals behind Wayne and it’s becoming more and more realistic every day to get to 895.

I can believe these numbers if they include playoffs and aim at Ovechkin beating Gretzky's total in RS+PO (894+122=1016).

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Ovi's recent astronomical surge got him back on pace for breaking 50 goals once again this season. I really hope he'll reach 60 goals for the second time in his career. I feel it would make quite a substantial difference in what is considered his peak goal scoring performance, after this long string of 49-53 games.

Considering he'll only be able to 81 games at best, he's now on pace for 58.8 goals so he'll have to turn it up just a but more. The sluggish month of December hurt him in this regard, but extending the current five game goal scoring streak would work wonders in terms of the eventual total.

Also, this season's goal scoring race is shaping up to be one the tightest in years with Pasta and Matthews being dead even, winning the ninth Rocket would be crazy impressive.

Reactions: Another AZ

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Arbitrary statistical take.

Hypotetical all time great, average player Teemu Mario Yzermess would've played career of 1464 regular season games, in which he would've been scoring the awesome total of 690 goals, which means career G/GP rate of 0.47 goals per game.

OV surpassed that hybrid hockey player entity at career regular season game #1135 while overperforming the dude over his career with rate 0.61 goals/game. It took only 5 games to get ahead of that all time great concentration of elite goal scoring genes of various eras. OV actually improved his position on the all time regular season goal scoring list from 12th to 8th during those games, meaning that he improved his position on average 0.8 standings per game over last 5 games.

Since the start of his career, OV has improved his goal scoring standing on the all time goal scoring list on average 6.13 spots per game (to this date, according and referencing to NHL.com listed total of 7169 NHL players). That average naturally goes lower, higher a player is climbing on the all time list, due gaps at the top end, but also because of new NHL players coming in every year.

All in all, beating Teemu Mario Yzermess in just 5 games is incredible feat! It probably takes several hundred years to that happen next time, that some futuristic specimen from near-700G dimension could somehow fix his career goal scoring streak in way he will need only 5 games to surpass T.M. Yzermess. That is going to be incredibly hard thing to achieve.

OV did it.

#uselessstatistics

Last edited:
Reactions: Another AZ

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
So, er, what I really meant a few weeks ago was 11 goals in 5 games :eek:

Its insane. Every time someone has underestimated OV, he has been able to 'comment' that in some ridiculous way.

I still recall Granpa Selänne at near the end of his career, hoping he would manage score few more goals to get into to that Mario-Yzer-Mess flock. He didn't.

OV just turbo boosted through whole group in manner that I tend to think that doing so gave some extra motivation for him. And he is still about 10 years short of what it was for other awesome number 8, Teemu Selänne.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Doesn’t he now have 95 goals in about 145 games going from 600 to 695? That's insane. Pace nearly the same that he had in his best days.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Crazy that his numbers are what they are WITH one and a half lockouts. :amazed:

Yes. That's legit If-question, but it is career background of all players having active careers during those lockout seasons. It is not only OV who potentially lost stats from those seasons.

The worst impacted were players whom active careers contained seasons 1994-95 to 2012-13 (OV isn't one of them). The list: NHL.com Stats

OV appears top 50 even on that list, which is another nice take to his extraordinary career, but he isn't one of those who suffered the most.

Jumbo Joe is probably that One. Maybe Selänne. Jagr lost too but he wouldn't have made his career without those necessary off-years unrelated to NHL lockouts.

EDIT: I realized that Selänne benefited from the lockout as that allowed him to go surgery and recover from his near career ending knee injury and become later Stanley Cup winner. He also won Masterton for his recovery. Ultimately lockout was critical factor for him to make so long and successful career.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad