Ovechkin not in the top 50 in goalscoring

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
The North division's stars will always be up there. But if you think that they would be scoring this much, you are crazy.

Matthews is scoring 0.91 goals per game right now. That means Matthews is on pace for like 74 goals in a normal season.

McDavid has a 1.82 points per game pace going. That's about 150 points.

These numbers are unheard of since what? The 80's?

You don't think the North division has something to do with it?

Of course I think the division these people play in matters. I'm just not naive enough to assume it's the only reason a bunch of early to mid 20's elite players are in the top ten in goal scoring. Every year people come flying out of the gates and cool off in the last half of the regular season as the wear and tear builds and teams find their defensive rhythms. Boeser's only scoring at a .5 goal per game pace, despite shooting at 20%. For a guy some thought had the tools to score 40 goals regularly because of his shot, that's not exactly a major surprise. Should his shooting luck come down a bit, he'd probably still pace over 30 goals in a full season. I think the biggest reason you're seeing the Canadian division players at the top is because they've played more games at this point than the other divisions, and the usual suspects like Pastrnak, Laine, and Kucherov have missed games due to injury, and trade quarantine. I'm not surprised to see my Jets players picking it up with Laine being traded, someone has to score and guys like Scheifele, Connor, and Ehlers are here for precisely that. People are focusing too hard on the small picture here, Ovechkin isn't going to continue to struggle on the PP and he's only shooting at half the rate of Boeser currently. Over the course of a full season these things would naturally sort themselves out. There's no point in getting bent out of shape about it when two thirds of the teams in the league haven't even played 20 games of the season yet.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Of course I think the division these people play in matters. I'm just not naive enough to assume it's the only reason a bunch of early to mid 20's elite players are in the top ten in goal scoring. Every year people come flying out of the gates and cool off in the last half of the regular season as the wear and tear builds and teams find their defensive rhythms. Boeser's only scoring at a .5 goal per game pace, despite shooting at 20%. For a guy some thought had the tools to score 40 goals regularly because of his shot, that's not exactly a major surprise. Should his shooting luck come down a bit, he'd probably still pace over 30 goals in a full season. I think the biggest reason you're seeing the Canadian division players at the top is because they've played more games at this point than the other divisions, and the usual suspects like Pastrnak, Laine, and Kucherov have missed games due to injury, and trade quarantine. I'm not surprised to see my Jets players picking it up with Laine being traded, someone has to score and guys like Scheifele, Connor, and Ehlers are here for precisely that. People are focusing too hard on the small picture here, Ovechkin isn't going to continue to struggle on the PP and he's only shooting at half the rate of Boeser currently. Over the course of a full season these things would naturally sort themselves out. There's no point in getting bent out of shape about it when two thirds of the teams in the league haven't even played 20 games of the season yet.

Oh it wouldn't surprise me if Ovechkin has a down year in goals (he's actually got quite a few points). Like everyone says, he's 35 now. And honestly, I love him but he's fat Ovie right now and the Ovie gut is back this year from the weird pandemic situation + actually spending 34234923849 hours at home with his still new-ish family. And I am ok with it.

I actually don't take issue with Ovechkin not being near the top this year, was just pointing at the premise of yours' and other posters' posts about the North division's star forwards. Yes, it's the usual suspects that you would see in a normal year. But you don't expect all of them to dominate like they have been doing this year during a normal year.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovechkin is a game time decision on Saturday. Looks like he’s been dealing with a LBI recently.

Could explain why he’s looked awful...

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Lol I love this narrative that the Canadian division is just a joke.

I'm not picking apart you as an individual at all, I don't like fighting on the internet it's pointless.

Having said all that, the north division is full of the future of hockey and players entering their prime or in their prime. Top 4 in the league and this could be arguable but not insane to imagine by any stretch. McDavid, Drai, Matthew's, Marner.

These dudes are amazing players and deserve more credit than just a "weak division".

People get old, it happens, not everybody is Tom Brady, Ovie has been an amazing goalscorer in this league, he will continue to score.

But his rocket days are over, and he will not score 50 again. I'd bet you if you'd like but nothing crazy, I'm not a rich man by any stretch lol.
Ovechkin is irrelevant to how weak that division is.
There are a ton of good forwards, and a ton of weak players out there. It looks like the 80s, basically.

Reactions: Another AZ

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Meanwhile Backstrom have 24 points in 19 games, impressive from someone who is just a mere product of Ovechkin's scoring.

I don't think many people ever felt that way or atleast they shouldn't have. The guy has hovered around the top 10 center range for many years with peaks even higher than that. Him and Ovi are just the perfect fit, but feeding arguably the best goal scorer of all time has certainly helped his career statistics as it would any great play maker. I'm sure Ovi appreciates all the work he's done too and the great feeds he's received over the years. When the Caps won the cup and both them 2 went for a skate together, that was a pretty awesome moment, both knowing the long road to that point and how much they've both meant to each others career.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Alex has 6 goals and is not in the top 50 in goalscoring this season. This will be his first season under 30 goals in his career. He is at an impressive 10 assists in 15 gp though. What do you make of his low goalscoring this season?

It's Ovechkin. He can score 20 goals in the next 20 games. I mean yes, he is already 35, but it's Ovechkin.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
At this point, he's probably just saving it for the Olympics - his final shot at Olympic glory.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Crosby and Ovi have the same amount of points with Crosby playing 18 games vs Ovechkin’s 15.

So is Crosby slowing down too?

Think it’s too early to say really.
Come back when we have passed the halfway point of the season.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Ovi has aged better than any other hockey player in history to this point.

Ovechkin fell off of his dynamic 2007–2010 peak pretty steeply and reinvented himself as a designated sniper.

What does that even mean?

When Ovechkin and Crosby fans say "in history" what they really say is "since 2005–06" because that's all they know.

So is Crosby slowing down too?

Could very well be so. Age happens. It's a crazy concept I know.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Ovechkin fell off of his dynamic 2007–2010 peak pretty steeply and reinvented himself as a designated sniper.

When Ovechkin and Crosby fans say "in history" what they really say is "since 2005–06" because that's all they know.
Rude and uncalled for, and also incorrect. On both counts, I meant in history history, and Ovechkin's goal scoring didn't fall off much at all from his peak seasons. Only the 65 year really stands out. The rest of his game game has nothing to do with this thread (although I will remind you that Oates reinvented him for reasons unrelated to aging).

Ovechkin's lack of falloff in goal production after his mid-20s is very rare, and his essentially flat curve into his mid-30s is unheard of. Not even Howe held his production that well. Naming a few seasons where others did well later in life isn't the point because it's about the overall trend and consistency, and Ovechkin has defied age totally in that view. He has pretty much hovered a little over 0.6 g/gp for what, 13 of 15 years? People have crunched the numbers and shown this many times.

Again, check the over 30 scoring records. Most goals, most rockets, most <number> goal seasons, etc. Ovi is only 35 and has already stomped a hole in most of them.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Ovie is fighting the puck a bit, like he has cement hands right now with the puck just bouncing around on him but he’s fine.

Hes looking like 35 year old Ovie not 30 year old Ovie .... bc hes 35 year old Ovie. He’s right where he naturally should be in the circle of life. He’s got a few good years left in him.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He’s put two off the posts in the last few games and I’m only half watching, so he could have a couple more. Not playing his best, but he’s still dangerous.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
6 in 16, good for 70th in nhl. only good news for him is auston isn't playing

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Been watching a lot of their games. He looks offs.

Injuries will do that. He is struggling though for sure. JMHO.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
He isn’t getting nearly as many chances on the PP. They don’t draw many penalties to start with, and so far this season the opposing PKers have worked hard to cut off the passing lane from Carlson. As a result, he’s been getting MAYBE one one-timer off per game? Considering that’s been his bread and butter, it’s unsurprising he’s in a bit of a slump.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I hate Ovechkin as much as the next Pens fan but its obvious to anyone not hiding under a rock that his numbers are suffering just as much as from the new division alinement as it is due to aging.

Likewise I expected Mcdavid and Matthew's to put up carrer years but their numbers would be no where near as impressive if they weren't playing against North division opponents all year round. Must be nice playing the worst defensive team assembled in decades - the Ottawa Senators, 10 times a year

I'm glad this season is only 56 games as it'll limit the overall impact of this years final numbers on a players career in hindsight. Because whatever stats they put will not be an accurate or legitimate measure of their talent.

Last edited:

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
It's a strange season...he had the covid ban and now learning a new system. He's done his thing with his career. Anything else now is a cherry on top. Same with Crosby.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Ovechkin is going to score under 30 goals in a 56 games season playing in a tough division all year? Craaaazy!

I’m sure it’s a coincidence that 7 out of the top 10 goalscorers are playing in the Canadian division.

This is so overblown.

Out of the top 15 teams in the NHL for goals per game, the North make up for 4 of those teams.

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
for the entirety of his career he couldn't get a break from people.

the guy has eight 50 goals seasons. two very likely ones cut short by lockout/pandemic, a 49 and a 46 goal season. he's currently 7th all time with 712 goals. he's also currently over a PPG.

but even now, at 35, after a "slow" start people feel the need to post things like that... like "ah see! he's not THAT good.. I was right all along"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad