Ovechkin not in the top 50 in goalscoring

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
And a cup, conn smythe, more rockets than anyone, most hits in nhl history when career ends most likely, The captain of winningest franchise in total wins in last decade, and more overall points than any player since he came into the league (including Crosby). Forgot to mention that.

oh, and by far the most marketable player in nhl.
All the more surprising when it was announced after Sundays game that the great 8 is a minus -13 against the Bruins this season. Ouch !

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
3rd game in 4 days and a back to back afternoon game vs a team fighting for playoffs coming on a day off - every caps fan knew bruins game was a scheduled loss. It’s fine. It happens.
Bruins played 3 games in 3 1/2 days.........without the multitude of excuses you just coffed up for OV and the Caps.
Bruins out scored Islanders, Islanders , Caps 13-4 .
OV now a minus -13 against the Bruins this season.
Caps coach should keep them away from the Bruins big line. Bergevin and company are eating OVs line alive.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Bruins played 3 games in 3 1/2 days.........without the multitude of excuses you just coffed up for OV and the Caps.
Bruins out scored Islanders, Islanders , Caps 13-4 .
OV now a minus -13 against the Bruins this season.
Caps coach should keep them away from the Bruins big line. Bergevin and company are eating OVs line alive.

Didn't BOS lose 8-1 to WSH recently?

Like... I don't really get what you're bragging about. Okay, Ovechkin's struggled against BOS this season, but it's not like BOS has WSH's number or something.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Like... I don't really get what you're bragging about. Okay, Ovechkin's struggled against BOS this season, but it's not like BOS has WSH's number or something.
Who's bragging ?
I'm not playing for the Bruins. Ha!
Those stats surprised me.
You saying they don't surprise you?
Find me another team where OV is a minus - 13 in a season . I doubt it's ever happened.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Yea Buins lost 8-1.
Without coffing up the plethora of excuses you did for Sundays Caps loss.
Considering the 8-1 caps win......how the hell is OV still a minus - 13 against the big line of the Bs.

Reactions: tread102

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
As far as Hull I've watched games from his era and he played a complete game in the ones I've seen. Not familiar with comments of his about neglecting his defense and from what I've seen and heard that was not the case. I wonder if it was just that self denigrating type of thing that hockey players say?

I watched a lot of Esposito and he was a complete player as well. He may have slowed down and been a weaker defensive contributor later in his career but he certainly didn't play like that from what I recall.

Frankly, prior to sometime during the 90's, the non-complete player syndrome didn't really exist. Back then one dimensional player styles [at least on the offensive side] was not really a factor.

Hull might seem like a complete player by today’s standards, but in his day - not so much.
We judge players relative to their contemporaries because the game is constantly evolving. Comparisons based on the ‘time machine’ premise does a disservice to all involved.

Almost all of Hull’s accolades were obtained playing an old-time equivalent of a ‘run and gun’ hockey. Luckily Mikita was there to hold down the defensive responsibilities.
Calling Hull a defensively responsible player in his era is pure revisionism. Don’t do with Hull or Esposito with what you accuse others of doing with Ovechkin.

Frederick Daily Leader: May 4 1971
Only a few years back Bobby Hull was the same dominant force for Chicago that Bobby Orr is now for Boston. The Hawks played hockey only one way. Offense, offense and more offense. But then they finished in the basement two years ago and decided to change their entire style. They became a defensive club and Bobby Hull, the celebrated golden jet, had to change along with them whether he liked it or not.
The change came hard for Hull. "I was used to having the puck all the time, skating with it, and playing 45 minutes of the game," he says. "After the club and I had a little contract difficulties I guess I didn't have the right attitude to begin with. When I came back the team was playing very well defensively. They wanted us wingmen to just go up and down in a straight line and simply watch the guy we were playing against so that they wouldn't do anything against you.
"That's what I did, I started going up and down and watching my guy and I just got into playing the different style of hockey. Oh, every once in a while you like to go back, pick up the puck and go with it, I expect you always have something left that you had before."
Bobby Hull showed everybody he did last Sunday afternoon.
That was the old Bobby Hull out there, not the new one. He was playing offensively, not defensively. He was playing the way he always had for most of the 14 years he has been with the Hawks.
Now with the Montreal Canadiens coming up in the finals, Hull will return to the Hawks' present style of play. That means he'll ne playing defensively again because that figures to be the way all the rest of the Hawks are going to play the Canadiens. Why abandon a successful formula, one that brought you two straight division championships and this far up to now?
Don't become startled though if Bobby Hull suddenly returns to his old way. Particularly if the series goes right down to the wire.
"Every once in awhile you like to go back, pickup the puck and go with it..."

Last edited:

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
No, I post to motivate the players. They read the threads and improve their performance.
If any Penguins players actually read "these" threads for motivation, may they be banished to constantly practice their center ice goal scoring skills until they meet their new permanent roommate in hell, Billy Tibbetts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad