Ovechkin not in the top 50 in goalscoring

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Alex has 6 goals and is not in the top 50 in goalscoring this season. This will be his first season under 30 goals in his career. He is at an impressive 10 assists in 15 gp though. What do you make of his low goalscoring this season?

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Alex has 6 goals and is not in the top 50 in goalscoring this season. This will be his first season under 30 goals in his career. He is at an impressive 10 assists in 15 gp though. What do you make of his low goalscoring this season?
It's been 15 games.

w/o looking, I promise you he has had multiple 15 game stretches with fewer than 6 goals scored. I bet he even did it in one of his Hart seasons.

EDIT: he scored 5 goals (and 5 assists) in his first 16 games of the 48 game, strike-shortened 2012-13 season... I'll let OP look up who won the Hart that year :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It's been 15 games.

w/o looking, I promise you he has had multiple 15 game stretches with fewer than 6 goals scored. I bet he even did it in one of his Hart seasons.

I'll echo the poster above me. Stop it.

EDIT: he scored 5 goals (and 5 assists) in his first 16 games of the 48 game, strike-shortened 2012-13 season... I'll let OP look up who won the Hart that year :sarcasm:

The problem is that he only has 37 games left. He was suspended for 4 games. I’m not going to count him out, but it’s a hell of an ask at this point to reach even 30 goals, let alone Rocket contention.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Ovechkin is going to score under 30 goals in a 56 games season playing in a tough division all year? Craaaazy!

I’m sure it’s a coincidence that 7 out of the top 10 goalscorers are playing in the Canadian division.

Look at the players though. Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers are all entering or in their prime years. Toffoli and Boeser are shooting at nearly 20%, they're outliers based on a small sample of only 20~ games just like Dustin Brown, Pavelski, and Couture. Guys that could be up there in scoring like Pastrnak and Laine both missed games due to injury and trade quarantine. Kucherov is out the entire season. I think it's a bit of a cop out to just say Ovechkin is struggling because it's a tougher division. He's produced at this exact pace in the last few years (2016-2017 season), he's just 4 years older now. Everyone hits the wall eventually, and he's only got 2 powerplay goals through 15 games so far which seems pretty snakebitten. I'm sure he'll bounce back.

Reactions: Dondini and meng666

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Not a East division fan here, just an OV keeper owner. I notice teams like the Pens really overload on his side on the PK. Would there be any truth in saying the East plays against OV in a more targetted manner?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Look at the players though. Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers are all entering or in their prime years. Toffoli and Boeser are shooting at nearly 20%, they're outliers based on a small sample of only 20~ games just like Dustin Brown, Pavelski, and Couture. Guys that could be up there in scoring like Pastrnak and Laine both missed games due to injury and trade quarantine. Kucherov is out the entire season. I think it's a bit of a cop out to just say Ovechkin is struggling because it's a tougher division. He's produced at this exact pace in the last few years (2016-2017 season), he's just 4 years older now. Everyone hits the wall eventually, and he's only got 2 powerplay goals through 15 games so far which seems pretty snakebitten. I'm sure he'll bounce back.

Are you trying to argue that the Canadian division isn't a free for all for goals? The quality of hockey is far less than the other divisions. There's not even much rough stuff going on like you'd expect in an Oilers/Flames game

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Not a East division fan here, just an OV keeper owner. I notice teams like the Pens really overload on his side on the PK. Would there be any truth in saying the East plays against OV in a more targetted manner?
I think this has always been team by team. Some teams staple a guy to Ovi on the PK and make the rest of the Caps beat them 4v3, some coaches seem to consider this a trap. When it happens Ovi tends to play away from the puck and just back out (sometimes past the blue line) and drag the guy along with him while Backs carves up the remaining D, he definitely generates fewer shots and passes (and therefore goals and assists) in those cases. I'm not sure if East teams are more likely than others to do it, but I've definitely seen both strategies from around the league.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Ovechkin is going to score under 30 goals in a 56 games season playing in a tough division all year? Craaaazy!

I’m sure it’s a coincidence that 7 out of the top 10 goalscorers are playing in the Canadian division.

It's only 4 of the top 10, actually. Laine moved divisions and I'm not sure where you're getting the other two.

NHL Stats

And if you don't think McDavid, Matthews, and Scheifele would be top 10 playing in any other division, well...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This guy is 35 years old. Did we expect him to light the world on fire in this type of season. His production is exactly where I’d expect it to be. He isn’t playing in a weak division either.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Are you trying to argue that the Canadian division isn't a free for all for goals? The quality of hockey is far less than the other divisions. There's not even much rough stuff going on like you'd expect in an Oilers/Flames game

Lol I love this narrative that the Canadian division is just a joke.

I'm not picking apart you as an individual at all, I don't like fighting on the internet it's pointless.

Having said all that, the north division is full of the future of hockey and players entering their prime or in their prime. Top 4 in the league and this could be arguable but not insane to imagine by any stretch. McDavid, Drai, Matthew's, Marner.

These dudes are amazing players and deserve more credit than just a "weak division".

People get old, it happens, not everybody is Tom Brady, Ovie has been an amazing goalscorer in this league, he will continue to score.

But his rocket days are over, and he will not score 50 again. I'd bet you if you'd like but nothing crazy, I'm not a rich man by any stretch lol.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Ovechkin's old and declining. Age takes it's toll and that's okay. If he takes a discount on his next contract and comes in in the same range as Backstrom but for lesser term I'd be totally okay with it. The problem is he's most likely gonna get an 8 figure annual salary around 11M mark and that would just kill any purpose of watching caps hockey in the upcoming years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad