Ovechkin not in the top 50 in goalscoring

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
It's only 4 of the top 10, actually. Laine moved divisions and I'm not sure where you're getting the other two.

NHL Stats

And if you don't think McDavid, Matthews, and Scheifele would be top 10 playing in any other division, well...

Matthews, McDavid, Boeser, Toffoli, Scheifele, Draisaitl, Connor and Ehlers are all in the top 10 goal scorers.

And considering that Boeser, Toffoli, Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers have combined for 1 top 10 goal finish in their careers, it's 100% fair to say it's because of the division. They didn't just magically reach a new level. Matthews has never played at this pace either. The North division is crap which is resulting in crazy stats for the players.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
People get old, it happens, not everybody is Tom Brady, Ovie has been an amazing goalscorer in this league, he will continue to score.

But his rocket days are over, and he will not score 50 again. I'd bet you if you'd like but nothing crazy, I'm not a rich man by any stretch lol.
This is what, year 10 of the same narrative? I mean, if you say this enough times you'll eventually be right, but nobody will care. Ovi has aged better than any other hockey player in history to this point.

The guy won a rocket less than a year ago with a far beyond 50 goal pace, is having a fairly typical start all things considered, but based on nothing this is the year it all ends? Without giving a reason you just sound like a bitter homer (especially when matched up to the very us vs them "we are the only true division!!!" nonsense in the rest of your post).

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Each year we wonder if Ovechkin will finally cool off
Could be this year, although he's not usually a good candidate to write off

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not a East division fan here, just an OV keeper owner. I notice teams like the Pens really overload on his side on the PK. Would there be any truth in saying the East plays against OV in a more targetted manner?

This is not new, they always did that against him. Only difference is that he was able to deal with it in the past.

Ovechkin and Malkin are the two players that regressed the most. They look like 2nd line players most games, 3rd line players at their worst and they’ll have flashes of greatness once in a while.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
This is what, year 10 of the same narrative? I mean, if you say this enough times you'll eventually be right, but nobody will care. Ovi has aged better than any other hockey player in history to this point.

The guy won a rocket less than a year ago with a far beyond 50 goal pace, is having a fairly typical start all things considered, but based on nothing this is the year it all ends? Without giving a reason you just sound like a bitter homer (especially when matched up to the very us vs them "we are the only true division!!!" nonsense in the rest of your post).

1. 10 years? People have been saying Ovechkin has been washed up since he was 25? News to me. Hyperbole much?. And that may be true that a broken clock is right twice a day, but I've never said anything negative about Ovechkin until now so don't create a false narrative that I haven't been behind. I only now think he won't score 50 again and stand by what I said.

2. I sound like a bitter homer because I said my opinion? It's a hockey forum, the dude is not a god, calm down, you sound like a spoiled child yelling kicking and screaming, when all I said was that I think his 50 goal days are over because father time comes for us all, there's my reason, I explained it in my first post as well, get better with your reading comprehension skills kiddo.

3. I blatantly said I'm not attacking you but just voicing my opinion in the first post, you come back saying I gave no reason (lies, because I gave age) (called me a homer, not a nice move by any stretch)

4. "US vs them narrative" lmao because I said that the north division has amazing hockey players that are the future in this league? Are you saying McDavid Matthew's Drai and Marner are not the future or hockey? That they are not top 10 players? That's all I said. Never said anything close to this true division nonsense.

Seriously, get better with reading comprehension and stop creating these false narratives, I never attacked you or Ovie, never said the North division was the chosen division. Just voiced my opinion which clearly has caused an aneurysm for you.

Reactions: sanscosm

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Look at the players though. Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers are all entering or in their prime years. Toffoli and Boeser are shooting at nearly 20%, they're outliers based on a small sample of only 20~ games just like Dustin Brown, Pavelski, and Couture. Guys that could be up there in scoring like Pastrnak and Laine both missed games due to injury and trade quarantine. Kucherov is out the entire season. I think it's a bit of a cop out to just say Ovechkin is struggling because it's a tougher division. He's produced at this exact pace in the last few years (2016-2017 season), he's just 4 years older now. Everyone hits the wall eventually, and he's only got 2 powerplay goals through 15 games so far which seems pretty snakebitten. I'm sure he'll bounce back.

The North division's stars will always be up there. But if you think that they would be scoring this much, you are crazy.

Matthews is scoring 0.91 goals per game right now. That means Matthews is on pace for like 74 goals in a normal season.

McDavid has a 1.82 points per game pace going. That's about 150 points.

These numbers are unheard of since what? The 80's?

You don't think the North division has something to do with it?

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The Kings will give you Amadio for him and then Dustin Brown will teach him how to score goals again...

:P

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The North division's stars will always be up there. But if you think that they would be scoring this much, you are crazy.

Matthews is scoring 0.9 goals per game right now. That means Matthews is on pace for like 74 goals in a normal season.

McDavid has a 1.81 points per game pace going. That's about 150 points.

These numbers are unheard of since what? The 80's?

You don't think the North division has something to do with it?

Well the East has a bunch of terrible defensive teams in their division.

In GA per game:

27-PIT
26-WSH
24-PHI
18-BUF

And nobody in that division is doing anything amazing offensively.

The individual players has a lot to do with it.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Well the East has a bunch of terrible defensive teams in their division.

In GA per game:

27-PIT
26-WSH
24-PHI
18-BUF

And nobody in that division is doing anything amazing offensively.

The individual players has a lot to do with it.

But doesn't this just mean that you have to take all scoring this year with a grain of salt?

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Cotton

May 13, 2013

What does that even mean? Are you not aware of a guy named Mario Lemieux, who at 35 (Ovechkin’s age) came out of a 3 year retirement and put up 4 points in his 1st game back. Then went on to have 35 goals in 43 games. Or Howe who scored 44 goals at 40 years old.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
35 year old Ovi is still over a point per game (16 points in 15 GP) despite missing 4 games due to COVID protocol and then getting iced for another week on top of that because a bunch of Caps games were rescheduled.

Are we going to start a thread about how Crosby is below a point per game this season? (16 points in 18 GP)

Or how about 34 year old Malkin with his 11 points in 18 games played? (less points than HF Boards' favorite goon, Tom Wilson)

Not to knock those other superstar players but the point is, age catches up to everyone. Especially when you don't have training camp and are then forced into a more compact schedule with less time off between games. It's not like these guys dropped off a cliff and are underperforming in the middle of their prime years, and this isn't thread-worthy.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Ovi is surely "over the hill" considering his age, but he's absolutely not washed up as a goal scorer. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of weird statistical anomalies like this across the league this season because of the weird divisions, compressed season, lack of training camp, and other factors.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
1. 10 years? People have been saying Ovechkin has been washed up since he was 25? News to me. Hyperbole much?
2011 is actually the exact year the Ovechkin is washed up narrative started. If you haven't been around or done enough research to at least know that you really shouldn't be talking down to people.
2. I sound like a bitter homer because I said my opinion? It's a hockey forum, the dude is not a god, calm down, you sound like a spoiled child yelling kicking and screaming, when all I said was that I think his 50 goal days are over because father time comes for us all, there's my reason, I explained it in my first post as well, get better with your reading comprehension skills kiddo.
You sound like a bitter homer because there's no way to say something like 'the North division is the division of the future!' without sounding like a homer, and doing it in response to a thread about Ovechkin reeks of bitter.
3. I blatantly said I'm not attacking you but just voicing my opinion in the first post, you come back saying I gave no reason (lies, because I gave age) (called me a homer, not a nice move by any stretch)
Seriously, get better with reading comprehension and stop creating these false narratives, I never attacked you or Ovie, never said the North division was the chosen division. Just voiced my opinion which clearly has caused an aneurysm for you.
so... don't call people homer when they're in a thread about a player from a team in a different division trumpeting their guys, but all that stuff at the bottom is fine, cool good to know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad