Ovechkin not in the top 50 in goalscoring

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
cool and he will have taken more shots than any other player in the nhl history by a wide margin. (That’s not counting all the shots that go wide or into the shins of defenders) Great player, and one of the greatest goal scorers of all time but not the greatest.
Really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this argument.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I am also old enough to have watched Lemieux play, and not just his last years. He was an incredible player, top 3 all time. But he's not the greatest goal scorer, and he wouldn't have the same goal stats if he played in the same era as OV.

The fact OV has a chance to beat Gretzky, even after losing multiple seasons to lockouts is astonishing. He deserves the crown
Its so close to call.
But down 2-1 late in a big game and I can pick one forward from the top 10 pure goal scorers to put out there??? It's Mario. Without hesitating.

Reactions: tread102

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Ovechking roaring back?
7vmeew1ne5p61.jpg

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If I can have an under 6ft tall stand up goalie in the nets, I am with you
I take Mario regardless of your height restrictions . Short or tall goalies mattered not to Mario . He scored on them all rather easily....he is the ultimate scoring machine.

Last edited:

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Something that doesn't get talked about enough. Ovechkin scored 25 goals the final 24 games on the shortened 2012-13 season. And then he started his MVP runner up season the next year with 23 goals in the first 25 games. I don't care that it's spread over two seasons, 48 goals in a 50-game stretch in that era, which now is legit lower scoring than today's environment, is incredible.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Something that doesn't get talked about enough. Ovechkin scored 25 goals the final 24 games on the shortened 2012-13 season. And then he started his MVP runner up season the next year with 23 goals in the first 25 games. I don't care that it's spread over two seasons, 48 goals in a 50-game stretch in that era, which now is legit lower scoring than today's environment, is incredible.

At the time people on these boards were tracking it and talking about it and it was pretty well known. It was super unofficial, but 50 goals in 50 consecutive games played would have been beyond unreal.

The reason it doesn't get talked about these days is simply because he fell short. If he actually managed to do it, it would get brought up in every discussion about Ovie for the rest of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad