Ovechkin not in the top 50 in goalscoring

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
There some guys who for some odd reason barely get mentioned when the question of the top goal scorer of all time gets brought up.

Bobby Hull - for all the lame sauce bellyaching we hear about how poor Ovechkin has had to miss games [partially at least because of him wanting more money leading to an entire season being missed and portions of two (2) - not that he was the sole player in on this]

Hull played 7 seasons [] really only 6 seasons as he only played in 4 games in 78-79 [] He scored 303 goals in the WHA, these goals could roughly be transitioned to the NHL.

Charlie Conacher - Amazingly won the goal scoring title five (5) out of six (6) seasons. His scoring feats are legendary and largely ignored in modern times.

Phil Esposito - won the goal scoring title an incredible six (6) times in a row. It really is odd how he gets so little fan fare but a large casual fan base crusade which disparages him simply because he was on the same team as Bobby Orr has had a negative impact. Ovechkin has never been able to really come close to this achievement.

Ovechkin is a good goal scorer, though not particularly good as an overall player, which all of the above guys were. He may even maybe possibly be the best of all time at strictly goals but if he is it's not like it's a slam dunk. Of course there are other options I haven't even bothered to list.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
There some guys who for some odd reason barely get mentioned when the question of the top goal scorer of all time gets brought up.

Bobby Hull - for all the lame sauce bellyaching we hear about how poor Ovechkin has had to miss games [partially at least because of him wanting more money leading to an entire season being missed and portions of two (2) - not that he was the sole player in on this]

Hull played 7 seasons [] really only 6 seasons as he only played in 4 games in 78-79 [] He scored 303 goals in the WHA, these goals could roughly be transitioned to the NHL.

Charlie Conacher - Amazingly won the goal scoring title five (5) out of six (6) seasons. His scoring feats are legendary and largely ignored in modern times.

Phil Esposito - won the goal scoring title an incredible six (6) times in a row. It really is odd how he gets so little fan fare but a large casual fan base crusade which disparages him simply because he was on the same team as Bobby Orr has had a negative impact. Ovechkin has never been able to really come close to this achievement.

Ovechkin is a good goal scorer, though not particularly good as an overall player, which all of the above guys were. He may even maybe possibly be the best of all time at strictly goals but if he is it's not like it's a slam dunk. Of course there are other options I haven't even bothered to list.
This whole post puzzles me.

"for all the lame sauce bellyaching we hear about how poor Ovechkin has had to miss games [partially at least because of him wanting more money leading to an entire season being missed and portions of two (2) - not that he was the sole player in on this]"
-> If you are talking about Ovechkin, this is false. He missed the first season because of a lockout, not a choice. And then missed parts of 3 seasons due to another lockout + COVID. Not anything to do with his own choices or from being injured.

"Hull played 7 seasons [] really only 6 seasons as he only played in 4 games in 78-79 [] He scored 303 goals in the WHA, these goals could roughly be transitioned to the NHL."
-> Hull played in the WHA in his 34 to 39 year old seasons, and there is no way you can translate those WHA goals into NHL goals. The WHA was a joke at the time. There were guys who couldn't score more than 20 goals in the NHL that went to the WHA and potted 50. Ovechkin has 2 more goalscoring titles than Hull had, despite playing a more competitive international NHL.

"Phil Esposito - won the goal scoring title an incredible six (6) times in a row. It really is odd how he gets so little fan fare but a large casual fan base crusade which disparages him simply because he was on the same team as Bobby Orr has had a negative impact. Ovechkin has never been able to really come close to this achievement."
-> 7 Rockets in 8 years is just as impressive of an achievement than 6 in a row. So is 9 overall rockets vs. 6. Ovechkin did all that without having a top-4 player of all time feeding him. Ovechkin's goal finishes blow him out of the water.

"Ovechkin is a good goal scorer, though not particularly good as an overall player, which all of the above guys were."
-> Ovechkin is not just a "good" goalscorer, he is at minimum one of the best all time, and at best THE best all time. And it is also completely false that he is not good as an overall player. That's just laughable. He's been top-20 in points every year of his career (might have been one that he wasn't), won NINE rockets, and has 50% more goals than anyone since coming into the league, and has won THREE harts and Lindsays. If that doesn't make him a good player 'overall' - then there might only be a few good players in league history.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
"Ovechkin is a good goal scorer, though not particularly good as an overall player, which all of the above guys were."
-> Ovechkin is not just a "good" goalscorer, he is at minimum one of the best all time, and at best THE best all time. And it is also completely false that he is not good as an overall player. That's just laughable. He's been top-20 in points every year of his career (might have been one that he wasn't), won NINE rockets, and has 50% more goals than anyone since coming into the league, and has won THREE harts and Lindsays. If that doesn't make him a good player 'overall' - then there might only be a few good players in league history.

It is completely false that it is completely false about him not being a very good overall player.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
It is completely false that it is completely false about him not being a very good overall player.
You’re entitled to have an opinion that is completely biased and not reflective of reality. So fine, Ovechkin isn’t a good player LOL.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
You are quite literally the only person who holds this horrendous opinion. You’re wrong. Accept it.

Awwww. You are literally the only person who holds this despicable attitude. Personally, I know numerous hockey people who agree with me. It may help you to grow once you realize that this internet forum is NOT a microcosm of hockey opinion and knowledge. It's calculated that close to 90% of the posters here have never even played hockey. That in it's own right is okay but the nuances of the game are more important then a little bit of sizzle.

Accept it or not. :teach2:

Reactions: kp61c

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Awwww. You are literally the only person who holds this despicable attitude. Personally, I know numerous hockey people who agree with me. It may help you to grow once you realize that this internet forum is NOT a microcosm of hockey opinion and knowledge. It's calculated that close to 90% of the posters here have never even played hockey. That in it's own right is okay but the nuances of the game are more important then a little bit of sizzle.

Accept it or not. :teach2:
I wish I could be as confident as you about being so incredibly wrong.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
If I'm wrong I fully admit it and look forward to being wrong about something at least once a day [cue the childish comment].

I suspect you'll grow into it. You certainly have enough data for it.
I actually do have the data for it. Every data point supports the fact that Ovechkin is an extremely good hockey player (especially at his peak).

Your “data” is your old timey attitude and your imaginary “numerous hockey people” who agree with you.

Saucechucker99

Feb 10, 2008

I got a good chuckle reading this post. I needed that today. Thank you.

Reactions: Smokin krak koken

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007

Were do these ideas come from? Check out some of WHLs leading scorers of all time, and compare their stats to what they had in the NHL. You have guys that were 0.5 ppg players in the NHL that suddenly became 1.4 ppg players in the WHA, and when they later merged back to the NHL they...drumroll...went back to 0.5 ish territory.

Last edited:

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
If 1 goal requires 2 assists... then 730 goals is like 1460 assists... ami doing this rt?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad