Out of Town Thread - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
A touchdown by the Hawks, yet the Sens had to settle for a FG and a safety to this point.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If Tampa wins the cup, they'll do something impossible which is have a winger as its best player. Except Washington of course.... Aaaand Chicago.

I think we can put that theory to rest. You can build around a winger as long as you have depth and multiple top talent. Your center doesnt have to be your best player.
jonathan-drouin-2018-45.jpg

Reactions: Runner77

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If Tampa wins the cup, they'll do something impossible which is have a winger as its best player. Except Washington of course.... Aaaand Chicago.

I think we can put that theory to rest. You can build around a winger as long as you have depth and multiple top talent. Your center doesnt have to be your best player.

Tampa, Washington, and Chicago all had top notch centres to surround those wingers too.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Kucherov is their best player, but the team's central pillar is still with Stamkos, Point and Johnson manning the middle. Same with Washington having Backstrom, Kuznetsov and, to a lesser extent, Eller.

Reactions: PaulD and Runner77

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Brutal post...those wingers need centers like Stamkos, Point, Toews, Backstrom, Kuzy to perform at the level their currently performing at.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD and Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sportsnet chose to use a NESN feed for the BOS@SJS game instead of going with the NBCSN one. :(

Interwebs to the rescue!

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Brutal post...those wingers need centers like Stamkos, Point, Toews, Backstrom, Kuzy.

(mod) Who said otherwise ?

Kucherov is their best player, but the team's central pillar is still with Stamkos, Point and Johnson manning the middle. Same with Washington having Backstrom, Kuznetsov and, to a lesser extent, Eller.

Their central pillar is the guy with 99 points in 60 games. Just as Washington has been Ovechkins club for all of Ovies career.

Tampa, Washington, and Chicago all had top notch centres to surround those wingers too.

Of course. Chicago had one. Their third best forward was another winger. I never said or implied you can ice a shit team and center line with an elite winger. I've heard, many times, you can't build your team around a winger as your best player. It's patently false. You can. Its all about how you build the rest of your team, but theres no set formula.

Last edited by a moderator:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Of course. Chicago had one. Their third best forward was another winger. I never said or implied you can ice a **** team and center line with an elite winger. I've heard, many times, you can't build your team around a winger as your best player. It's patently false. You can. Its all about how you build the rest of your team, but theres no set formula.

You just have to have a winger that is a top 5-10 NHL player as your winger to build around.

That is what Kucherov, Kane, and Ovechkin are.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Brutal post...those wingers need centers like Stamkos, Point, Toews, Backstrom, Kuzy to perform at the level their currently performing at.

Interesting edit. It resounds as weaker than your initial post. What Ovy needed was Dainius Zubrus to reach 50 goals and 100 points. Kane had his MVP season with Anisimov. Both St Louis and Kucherov have had higher point peaks than Stamkos.

But yeah. Its those wingers that needed them :rolleyes:.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You just have to have a winger that is a top 5-10 NHL player as your winger to build around.

That is what Kucherov, Kane, and Ovechkin are.

I dont disagree. But, this is likely true for defensemen and centers too. It just shows the value of truly elite players for cup contenders, regardless of position, and the importance of having multiple elite talents.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Sportsnet chose to use a NESN feed for the BOS@SJS game instead of going with the NBCSN one. :(

Interwebs to the rescue!

Sportsnet does that for every Bruins game they televise. I've never heard the other teams announcers on Sportsnet when they show the B's.

Old man Chara scores. 2-0 B's.

Edit: Make that 3-0 B's. Some B's rookie just scored his 1st NHL goal.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Duchene with only 10 minutes of ice time so far. I guess the sens dont want to risk him getting injured before the deadline.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sportsnet does that for every Bruins game they televise. I've never heard the other teams announcers on Sportsnet when they show the B's.

Old man Chara scores. 2-0 B's.
I don't even mind Edwards all that much, but the clown AKA Brickley is someone I could not stomach.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I don't even mind Edwards all that much, but the clown AKA Brickley is someone I could not stomach.

I hear ya. I could stomach Brick at one time and not Edwards but now I'm with you regarding Brick. The guy just irritates me now for some reason. Jack is fine when he sticks to just calling the game. It's when he goes full Bruins homer that he gets nauseating to listen to.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I hear ya. I could stomach Brick at one time and not Edwards but now I'm with you regarding Brick. The guy just irritates me now for some reason. Jack is fine when he sticks to just calling the game. It's when he goes full Bruins homer that he gets nauseating to listen to.
Ironically enough the exact same thing has happened with me over time.

But even at the height of my displeasure with Edwards that feeling never reached the point I'm currently at with Brickley. I can't even do a full minute of listening him talk anymore.

Reactions: sheed36
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad