Out of Town Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Has anyone called him 'elite'?

There's a difference between 'first liner' and 'elite'. He's a legit first liner but that doesn't make him elite.
I think what begs the question here is what one's definition of elite is. Is being top 10 at your position elite? Or it's more appropriate to use it for top 3 or top 5 players?

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Has anyone called him 'elite'?

There's a difference between 'first liner' and 'elite'. He's a legit first liner but that doesn't make him elite.

I can’t seem to quote the original post but just last page someone posted he was a top 10 winger and elite.

First liner I can agree but calling him elite or even a top 10 winger is going overboard.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A lot of teams would have him second line with their current rosters.
At five on five he's pretty impactful.

Tried looking it up - man all the sites I used to use are gone. It's hard just to compare RW at 5 on 5 now. Where do you guys go for this? You can only get forwards or only get totals. It pisses me off how hard it is to get basic stats now.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Tried looking it up - man all the sites I used to use are gone. It's hard just to compare RW at 5 on 5 now. Where do you guys go for this? You can only get forwards or only get totals. It pisses me off how hard it is to get basic stats now.
Too lazy to dig deeper but from a Dobber article:
Gallagher now has a career-high 33 goals and has reached the 30-goal mark in back-to-back seasons. He’s also taken a minimum of 270 shots in each of the past two seasons. Over the past two seasons, he’s now a top-20 goal scorer and a top-10 shot taker. The low assist totals deflate his overall value in points leagues, but you can easily find assists from other players in multicategory leagues.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
It might not work out that way. We may benefit from the better teams near the end of our schedule resting their best players, if it works out that they can't move up or down in the standings by then.
Depends. Leafs, no chance. Washington and Winnipeg maybe. Tampa it may depend on who they would rather play between us and CBJ. Best case scenario is we grab that WC1 spot but losing another point to Carolina makes it a long shot.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No one thinks Montreal has a shot.

Actually a bunch of people think that if they get in anything can happen. But also don't believe the same is True for Toronto because they have a weak defense which is asinine since our defence isn't better.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Natural stat trick still lets you filter on position. In terms of RW 5-5 Gallys 28 goals leads the league. 5 up on Kane and Kucherov, 11 more than Pasternak. Why the bleep are we not using him on 1st wave of PP- he can`t be worse than the guys we are using.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Islanders vs Blue Jackets. Go Islanders go!

- Habs better not take the Panthers for granted. They have lost two in a row and playing on back/back nights. This team can score so we need to play sound D.

Jul 6, 2016

- Habs better not take the Panthers for granted. They have lost two in a row and playing on back/back nights. This team can score so we need to play sound D.

Florida has lots of firepower. Glad they have bad D and mediocre goaltending.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Natural stat trick still lets you filter on position. In terms of RW 5-5 Gallys 28 goals leads the league. 5 up on Kane and Kucherov, 11 more than Pasternak. Why the bleep are we not using him on 1st wave of PP- he can`t be worse than the guys we are using.
They make it hard to see basic info though. They show goals, then 1st and 2nd assists but I don't see a points column.

Shouldn't be this hard. :laugh: This is basic shit and it's hard to get it now.

Edit: Okay I see it. They have it listed as Total Points rather than just points.

Anyways, Gallagher is 10th in the league at 5 on 5 points and he's first in goals. I'd say that's first line. PP of course is a different story.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
They make it hard to see basic info though. They show goals, then 1st and 2nd assists but I don't see a points column.

Shouldn't be this hard. :laugh: This is basic **** and it's hard to get it now.

Edit: Okay I see it. They have it listed as Total Points rather than just points.

Anyways, Gallagher is 10th in the league at 5 on 5 points and he's first in goals. I'd say that's first line. PP of course is a different story.

I agree with you though all the sites I used to use are gone.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Agreed. They have some great scoring forwards + they add a guy like Drouin passing them the puck on top of that!!!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree with you though all the sites I used to use are gone.
Yeah it sucks.

Digging into these numbers though at 5 on 5 Gallagher's borderline top ten in his position at RW.

This season as I said he's 10th in points and 1st in goals. Over the past two seasons total he's 2nd in goals and tied for 14th in points. First liner for sure. Elite? No. Top ten? Maybe.

But this ignores the fact that he doesn't produce much on the PP. How much of that is his fault is up for debate I guess.

Reactions: CDN24

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We’re we big time losers......ugh....ya!!....firings of GM and coach have been alive and well in these parts

Toronto has the base up front.....for now....sorry, they had a great fwd core, they could’ve traded some for D help on the right side.....they didn’t and now they will have spoiled te best shot they had at going all the way.

Mismanaged by Dumbass, wasting years of his prime players.....now no one will give them the value they had on some of their fwds because everyone knows they gonna be in a crunch....losers they are, and in many ways!!

Great that you totally discarded the main point of your analysis....the famous ''But they did more than what we thought they were....'' Why is that?

As far as wasting years is concern...who is wasting the years of the best goalie in the planet and future hall of fame EVEN if he doesn't win a cup? Who?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Gallagher is definitely a top 15 RWer for me. Koivu has always been underappreciated for elevating the play of his teammates so I think there is some merit to comparing the two although it was presented as an insult at first. Gallagher this year has been elite in terms of shot generation and Even Strength scoring. The only thing affecting him is his lack of assists which is not that big of a deal. Gallagher isn't getting the respect he deserves for a player that was considered either expendable with Shaw in the line-up (yes go back to the 2016 threads) or damaged goods. The people spitting on Koivu or Gallagher are the ones still stuck in the 70's and 80's that don't look at the numbers to see that the average production for a first liner has changed over the years...
Both Koivu and Gally are pretty firmly (Or were) top 15 at their position. The weakness of their teammate is one of the reason why theyre not regarded as better... I mean, come on... 14 assists Gally ? Give him even a 20 goals scorer center on his line and that number probably reached 5 or six higher, give him a DECENT PP and it's probably another 5. Give him a decent palymaking C, it's probably 40 goals.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

UVMCats

Feb 16, 2019
Actually a bunch of people think that if they get in anything can happen. But also don't believe the same is True for Toronto because they have a weak defense which is asinine since our defence isn't better.

Whats even more asinine? You disregarding CP as part of the Habs defense. So your comparison is m double o t

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah it sucks.

Digging into these numbers though at 5 on 5 Gallagher's borderline top ten in his position at RW.

This season as I said he's 10th in points and 1st in goals. Over the past two seasons total he's 2nd in goals and tied for 14th in points. First liner for sure. Elite? No. Top ten? Maybe.

But this ignores the fact that he doesn't produce much on the PP. How much of that is his fault is up for debate I guess.

He is getting plenty PP minutes, primarily 2nd unit but still I don`t get it. he has 195 mins of PP time with 4G and 3A. 1G for every 50 mins. 5-5 he has 28 in a bit less than a 1000 mins or one every 35 mins. It makes no sense.

Other RW with between 185 and 205 PP minutes (+/- 10 mins) include Pasternak 30 pts, Marner 20 pts, Granlund 20 pts, Stone 20 pts, radulov 17 points and Atkinson and Bailey with 13. If this team had a PP they would be up there with Boston fighting for 2nd in the division.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He is getting plenty PP minutes, primarily 2nd unit but still I don`t get it. he has 195 mins of PP time with 4G and 3A. 1G for every 50 mins. 5-5 he has 28 in a bit less than a 1000 mins or one every 35 mins. It makes no sense.

Other RW with between 185 and 205 PP minutes (+/- 10 mins) include Pasternak 30 pts, Marner 20 pts, Granlund 20 pts, Stone 20 pts, radulov 17 points and Atkinson and Bailey with 13. If this team had a PP they would be up there with Boston fighting for 2nd in the division.
It makes no sense ? He's playing on a historically bad PP as a triggerman/slot presence.... It's pretty simple to see why he doesn't produce there.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
It makes no sense ? He's playing on a historically bad PP as a triggerman/slot presence.... It's pretty simple to see why he doesn't produce there.

What makes no sense is that in terms of Goals per minute played he is much worse on the PP than he is 5-5. If he scored 5-5 at the same rate as he does on the PP he would have only 20 5-5 goals instead of 28. Time to save him for 5-5. The rangers/Bruins/bolts goalies have more PP assists than many of our PP regulars.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Weber finished 6th in norris voting in his first year, his only year where he was a regular...
Not as good as Subban. And again, we gave up a clutch playoff performer too. Three years younger...

I just don't get how people can still try to defend this trade. Whatever...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Our PP sucks. If you wanted to you could criticize Gallagher for not making it better but we've got him on the 2nd unit there anyway so...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I can’t seem to quote the original post but just last page someone posted he was a top 10 winger and elite.

First liner I can agree but calling him elite or even a top 10 winger is going overboard.

I did.

He's 100% a first line RW and he's for sure a top 15 RW.

There's
Kucherov
Wheeler
Kane
Pastrnak
Stone
Tarasenko
Marner

That are undoubtedly better.

Then there's a real case to be made for these
Boeser
Atkinson
Radulov
Kessel
Voracek

Then theres these guys
Arvidsson
Palmieri
Kessel
Smith
Laine
Svechnikov
Lindholm

It's not out of the question at all that when you consider
A) His defensive game being better than all of those below him
B) His QoT being the lowest out of all these (Save Svechnikov.)
C) His ES production being better than all of these (Save for Radu, Voracek, Atkinson.)
D) His goalscoring being better than all of those, save Atkinson
E) His intagibles (Lol.)
F) The terrible PP production. He ranks 39th on the PP. Not something he ever really had trouble with, 17 points last year.
G) His shooting % is actually along the lines of his career average
H) He ranks second for shots taken.

He is an elite player, and it's pretty sad how underrated he's got.

He's fifth in goals scored since 2017 for RW, and out of the top ten, he has the lowest shooting percentage after Tarasenko (IE he's not unsustainable a la Laine/Boeser with his 16%)
His TOI is incredibly low too, compared to most elite wingers. They all literally play 2 minutes more, this means more shot on goals, this means more goals.

He's also 20th in PP ice time, over the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad