habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
The big 4 was

Howe
Orr
Lemieux
Gretzky
ok, sure. Let me ask you this, at what point did Howe dominate the competition?
I know Gretzky did, head & shoulders above everyone else. Lemieux did. Orr did. Howe? Not so much. During his hey days, would you have taking him over Richard? Over Hull? Esposito (who had some dominant years btw)?
Howe played great for a long time, acknowledged. But not a "generational talent" by my eyes. If he played as many games as Lemieux, would he be in that list?

Reactions: dralaf

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Oh God, Rutherford is way too much of a gambler. Matheson could, I mean there's maybe a 20% chance he does (they did strike gold on Schultz who was a total liability in EDM), but given his contract he's the last team I would have expected to acquire him. They needed to shed salary and Hornqvist made sense but this is a bad deal IMO. Hornqvist was a respected vet who could fit anywhere in your line-up.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Still hard to go by stats because Lemieux started out in the most wide open, high scoring era where if a goalie had a goals against average under 4.00 it was considered good. If you have a chance, look up Grant Fuhr's numbers. He's in the hall of fame.

Look at Lemieux' number in the 90 with big goalies, clutch and grabbing, red line, hooking etc..

As mentionned..far from his prime in 2000...he scored 35 goals in 42 games....after missing 4 seasons...think about that....

There were less goals scored in the league at the time than now.

He was on another planet.

Always remember what my friend told me in 93 when he had 104 points in 39 games...then got cancer..came back and did 56 points in 21 games.....my friend told me:

Lemieux est trop fort pour la ligue....

He never told me that for anyone else after that..

Reactions: 26Mats

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Or just move one of the big salaries.
Exactly. It's really not complicated. It's not like the Leafs have big contracts tied to unproductive players. All their giant contracts are attached to top end talent playing like top end talent.

Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Nylander can all be moved very easily and they are talented enough to bring back assets.

It reminds me what people were saying about Tampa last season, how they would be in hell. They moved Miller and a couple of pieces and were able to IMPROVE their club.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Rutherford has firmly shut the Penguins window.

Seriosuly, he did some solid moves by finding great players in order to help them win that back to back.
But in the last year, besides the gem he got in Marino, his trades have been brutal. The old man is losing his marbles lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seriosuly, he did some solid moves by finding great players in order to help them win that back to back.
But in the last year, besides the gem he got in Marino, his trades have been brutal. The old man is losing his marbles lol

He's aggressive when the team has struggled. Lucky or does he actually have a plan? :laugh:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Look at Lemieux' number in the 90 with big goalies, clutch and grabbing, red line, hooking etc..

As mentionned..far from his prime in 2000...he scored 35 goals in 42 games....after missing 4 seasons...think about that....

There were less goals scored in the league at the time than now.

He was on another planet.

Always remember what my friend told me in 93 when he had 104 points in 39 games...then got cancer..came back and did 56 points in 21 games.....my friend told me:

Lemieux est trop fort pour la ligue....

He never told me that for anyone else after that..

I'm a huge Lemieux fan and think a lot of the points you make are great.

I just think the 690 goals in 915 games has to be taken with a grain of salt because of the era he played in. Is it a coincidence that he and Gretzky were far and away the best in goal scoring and play making and just happened to play in the same era? I'll go one step further: is it a coincidence Michael Jordan is the best ever in the NBA and played at the exact same time. At that point, it was right before serious weight training and attention to physical form came into sports. And, right before analytics and serious analysis of systems came into the game. These factors may level the playing field and prevent individuals from standing out as much. Furthermore, there was a revolution in the technology of the equipment. Really hard to play basketball on those old chuck taylor shoes - when you cut, you have to wait a fraction of a second before your body weight shifts. Also hard to skate and carry the puck with those old skates and thick flat curved wood sticks from the 70's and before. Perhaps the equipment changes that started in the 80's allowed talented individuals to stand out even more...

The year he came back at 35 and had 35 goals in 42 games was unbelievable. But still, that (2000-2001) was not the clutch and grab era. The Avs won the cup with a loaded offensive team. And, Lemieux was playing with 3 of the top 6 point getters in the league (Jagr, Kovalev, Straka). No doubt Lemieux helped them. But Jagr was unreal too.

And, the next year he had 6 goals in 24 games.

We'll never know what could have been. Same with Mike Bossy and even Bobby Orr. With modern medicine and physiotherapy they would have all played more games. I do respect Ovechkin for longevity. You can't help the team by scoring goals if you're unable to play because you're body is breaking down.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I'm a huge Lemieux fan and think a lot of the points you make are great.

I just think the 690 goals in 915 games has to be taken with a grain of salt because of the era he played in. Is it a coincidence that he and Gretzky were far and away the best in goal scoring and play making and just happened to play in the same era? I'll go one step further: is it a coincidence Michael Jordan is the best ever in the NBA and played at the exact same time. At that point, it was right before serious weight training and attention to physical form came into sports. And, right before analytics and serious analysis of systems came into the game. These factors may level the playing field and prevent individuals from standing out as much. Furthermore, there was a revolution in the technology of the equipment. Really hard to play basketball on those old chuck taylor shoes - when you cut, you have to wait a fraction of a second before your body weight shifts. Also hard to skate and carry the puck with those old skates and thick flat curved wood sticks from the 70's and before. Perhaps the equipment changes that started in the 80's allowed talented individuals to stand out even more...

The year he came back at 35 and had 35 goals in 42 games was unbelievable. But still, that (2000-2001) was not the clutch and grab era. The Avs won the cup with a loaded offensive team. And, Lemieux was playing with 3 of the top 6 point getters in the league (Jagr, Kovalev, Straka). No doubt Lemieux helped them. But Jagr was unreal too.

And, the next year he had 6 goals in 24 games.

We'll never know what could have been. Same with Mike Bossy and even Bobby Orr. With modern medicine and physiotherapy they would have all played more games. I do respect Ovechkin for longevity. You can't help the team by scoring goals if you're unable to play because you're body is breaking down.

You're saying these things as if Lemieux and Gretzky had access to modern equipment while everyone else was stuck in 70s gear...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Exactly. It's really not complicated. It's not like the Leafs have big contracts tied to unproductive players. All their giant contracts are attached to top end talent playing like top end talent.

Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Nylander can all be moved very easily and they are talented enough to bring back assets.

It reminds me what people were saying about Tampa last season, how they would be in hell. They moved Miller and a couple of pieces and were able to IMPROVE their club.
Moved very easily in a flat cap world??.....don’t think so.......at least not for fair value.

Every team in the NHL will see the Leafs coming from 100 light years away.....they gonna get gutted, strung and beat

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You're saying these things as if Lemieux and Gretzky had access to modern equipment while everyone else was stuck in 70s gear...

No, I'm saying advancements in equipment may have allowed star players' talent to be accentuated more than in other eras.

There have been huge changes in the technology of rackets in tennis. Is it a coincidence Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal are considered 3 of, if not the 3 best and all play in the same era?

In soccer there has been a huge change in the soccer ball. There are now springs inside the balls. A goal tender can effortlessly kick the ball from his own box into the other team's box. Is it a coincidence Ronaldo and Messi are considered both the best ever and play in the exact same era?

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I wouldn't have put Howe on that list. Generational talent is a term being used a little too loosely.
woulnd even put Mcdavid there, he's note even the #1 center at the moment and if you compare generation with the rest of their competition, Lemieux and Gretz are far ahead of Mcdavid who is competing with 2-3 guys every year.

Lemieux and Gretz were so far ahead of their time and the scoring showed, Mcdvid , the scoring isn't showing a direct correlation like Lemieux or Gretz

Ex: 85-86 Gretz and Lemieux were 2 times a head than the 3rd.... Is Mcdavid so far ahead ? I don'T feel like Mcdavid is dominating every facet of the game like they were.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Get what in return??

when you say big salaries you talking about Tavares/Marner/Matthews right?

Yes I am, you can throw Nylander in there too with his 7M price tag. Move him and Hyman, that's over 9M of free space you just created.
Or move one of the three you mentioned. If I told you Nashville was going to move Subban you would have probably said there's no way they're not getting big money in return or retaining either.
New Jersey still has a crap load of space too.

Whatever Toronto asks in return would have to come in picks and prospects or very low cost players (either depth veterans or RFAs with controlled salaries).

They could create space to bring in Pietro and add more picks/prospects to help fill their empty cupboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad