Out of Town Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Was reading an article about when the next season should begin and it doesn't look good... Here are some tidbits:

- If the U.S./Canada border remains closed beyond the time when the NHL is ready to begin next season, it’s possible a one-time, all-Canadian division would be an option or at least beginning play with the Canadian teams playing only in Canada.

- Multiples sources at various levels and positions in hockey told The Athletic they believe it’s much more likely the start of next season is pushed back to, at the very earliest, early January 2021 – and even that is marked by a host of qualifiers.

- If there aren’t bubbles and teams are flying from city to city a la Major League Baseball, there are some lessons from that model.
For instance, one facilities expert said, NHL teams could all use the same hotels in a given city to establish protocol for check-ins, cleaning, etc.
Take it a step further, he suggested, restaurants could be designated in those cities where teams would congregate to help reduce the risk of exposure to COVID. Or teams simply agree to eat all their meals in the team rooms in the hotels.
If the teams are traveling from city to city, one team president suggested the baseball model of playing three or four games against the same opponent to try and cut down on the amount of travel, thus reducing costs and the risk of the virus’s spread.

- In the end, the better question might be: does it even work economically to have say 6,000 fans in an 18,000 building if restrictions keep occupancy at 25 or 30 percent?A number of executives and industry observers suggest it does not and that at least 10,000 fans would be needed for teams to break even on costs

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
If there was no cap, I'd agree with you. Right now, they have 18 players signed with $6M in cap space. Mikheyev and Dermott as key RFA's to sign. Dermott should not get too much of a raise on his 1st 1 way contract but Mikheyev is 25 and probably wants a deal close to what Johnson and Kapanen got with the Leafs.

Pietrangelo at $9M? Moving Nylander would not be enough. It would have to be Marner or both Nylander and Kerfoot. Then sign Spezza and Thornton to $1M deals?

Roster would look like this... Their offense would take a major hit IMO.

Hyman / Matthews / Marner
Johnsson / Tavares / Robertson
Mikheyev / Thornton / ????
Engvall / Spezza / ????

Rielly / Pietrangelo
Dermott / Muzzin
Sandin / Holl
Marincin

Anderson
Campbell
Pretty sure Toronto will move Andersen and Johnsson. Also the player to be moved should be Marner out of the 4.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure Toronto will move Andersen and Johnsson. Also the player to be moved should be Marner out of the 4.

Still results in addressing the RD hole and creating other holes. I hope they trade Anderson... They are going to miss him big time if they do! Their are in cap hell for a few years yet. Great top end pieces but not enough ELC guys like Sandin and Roberston

How do you move Marner and not take a contract back? Futures only? I think moving that contract is difficult... even for someone with his talent.

Matthews is almost as good as gone in 4 more years IMO.... if they move Marner or Nylander.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Still results in addressing the RD hole and creating other holes. I hope they trade Anderson... They are going to miss him big time if they do! Their are in cap hell for a few years yet. Great top end pieces but not enough ELC guys like Sandin and Roberston
For sure losing Marner would cost them but don't forget Marner can return good stuff. Pretty sure they are gonna resign Spezza and Clifford at minimum. They were not bad at for them. 2 vets that cost close to nothing.

Marner sure wouldn't be easy to trade but hes only 23. Im sure a team would like him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For sure losing Marner would cost them but don't forget Marner can return good stuff. Pretty sure they are gonna resign Spezza and Clifford at minimum. They were not bad at for them. 2 vets that cost close to nothing.

Marner sure wouldn't be easy to trade but hes only 23. Im sure a team would like him.

Many teams would love to add Marner but who has the futures to spare and the cap space? Leafs can't take a contract back? Name me 3 teams you feel can fit him in their cap and has futures to spare where the timing would be right to make a move like that?

What is Rielly going to ask for in his next contract? I think the Leafs are in a difficult spot with the cap. They need the cap to be above $90M before Matthews contract ends.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Many teams would love to add Marner but who has the futures to spare and the cap space? Leafs can't take a contract back? Name me 3 teams you feel can fit him in their cap and has futures to spare where the timing would be right to make a move like that?
Any rebuilding team would like him first. Hes 23 its not like it takes 10 year to rebuild.
Calgary if they trade Gaudreau. They are going hard on Hall. Marner could be a cheaper option but will lose players
Nashville trading 5m in return could afford him
Carolina could easily make space for him in a good hockey trade

No team in the NHL minus Ottawa can take a 10m without giving any salary back.

Unless they trade him in Seattle (God that would be funny)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any rebuilding team would like him first. Hes 23 its not like it takes 10 year to rebuild.
Calgary if they trade Gaudreau. They are going hard on Hall. Marner could be a cheaper option but will lose players
Nashville trading 5m in return could afford him
Carolina could easily make space for him in a good hockey trade

No team in the NHL minus Ottawa can take a 10m without giving any salary back.

They need to clear about $8M at least. So I think this is easier said than done where the trade partner only sends back a $2M or under contract in a Marner deal. There will be lots of interest but I have a hard time finding good trade ideas to be honest.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
They need to clear about $8M at least. So I think this is easier said than done where the trade partner only sends back a $2M or under contract in a Marner deal. There will be lots of interest but I have a hard time finding good trade ideas to be honest.

Most likely but like i said , Im still pretty sure Pietrangelo will sign in STL. Im sure they will find a way

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
ESPN had an article and they spoke with players in the bubble under the guise of anonymity. And they were able to share some stories on how life in the bubble was/has been.

Here is one player who spoke about Montreal:

You see anonymous NHL player that could be you and any of your NHL player friends being treated like this if you would just sign with a deep pocketed team like the Habs. Until then enjoy your vending machine snickers bar. :)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

They're not moving Marner, he's their best player.
He would be very easy to trade, team don't have a problem figuring out how to make space for elite players. It's only a problem on HF.

Reactions: japhi and LaP

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They're not moving Marner, he's their best player.
He would be very easy to trade, team don't have a problem figuring out how to make space for elite players. It's only a problem on HF.

I don't think dubas would trade him. It's his investment, and if he came back to the board so early into the investment and says he wants to explore moving him, it won't look good on him.

Whether he's their best player or not is up for debate. I don't feel he is, and I think a growing number of leaf fans are becoming disenchanted with him.

I know that comes with the territory when you sign a mega deal, but Matthews also signed one of those but their fans tend to look at him more positively.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't think dubas would trade him. It's his investment, and if he came back to the board so early into the investment and says he wants to explore moving him, it won't look good on him.

Whether he's their best player or not is up for debate. I don't feel he is, and I think a growing number of leaf fans are becoming disenchanted with him.

I know that comes with the territory when you sign a mega deal, but Matthews also signed one of those but their fans tend to look at him more positively.

Leafs fans reacting is hardly an indication of anything. They've proven to be as crazy as a lot of Habs fans.
Marner is the guy I'd build around in Toronto. I'd move Tavares, no idea why they even brought him in. Overkill.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Leafs fans reacting is hardly an indication of anything. They've proven to be as crazy as a lot of Habs fans.
Marner is the guy I'd build around in Toronto. I'd move Tavares, no idea why they even brought him in. Overkill.

Who becomes their second line center without Tavares and without Kadri?

I guess they could trade Tavares for a second line center and futures, and use the cap savings to sign Pietrangelo.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Who becomes their second line center without Tavares and without Kadri?

I guess they could trade Tavares for a second line center and futures, and use the cap savings to sign Pietrangelo.

Depends how they want to go about things. A low end 2nd center could be pulled forward by someone like Matthews. Not to the exact same effect but similar to how Kane carried Handzus.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
ESPN had an article and they spoke with players in the bubble under the guise of anonymity. And they were able to share some stories on how life in the bubble was/has been.

Here is one player who spoke about Montreal:

Aaron Ward shared a couple of stories of what he heard from his "anonymous sources" about the goings on from inside the bubble tonight on his TSN690 segment.

Interesting story about an all star top 10 NHL player (in Ward's opinion anyway) who was quite pissed off about having to come back and play that it turned into an altercation with a player on another team which had to be broken up by a player currently playing in the finals. Melnick then named off the top 10 names on this years Hart Trophy votes list to see if it was one of these players and Ward said no. Then Melnick named the other players on the bottom half of the Hart Trophy votes list and Ward laughed and said maybe.

Also said bartenders that were "perhaps" bikini clad were somehow smuggled into one of the hubs who ended up maybe getting fired. Was told by a couple of players that they can't believe that more stories haven't yet come of these hubs and that some of these stories are awesome.

Here's the audio from the Ward TSN690 segment from tonight if you care to listen. :)
Ward shares stories from anonymous sources in the bubble

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Aaron Ward shared a couple of stories of what he heard from his "anonymous sources" about the goings on from inside the bubble tonight on his TSN690 segment.

Interesting story about an all star top 10 NHL player (in Ward's opinion anyway) who was quite pissed off about having to come back and play that it turned into an altercation with a player on another team which had to be broken up by a player currently playing in the finals. Melnick then named off the top 10 names on this years Hart Trophy votes list to see if it was one of these players and Ward said no. Then Melnick named the other players on the bottom half of the Hart Trophy votes list and Ward laughed and said maybe.

Also said bartenders that were "perhaps" bikini clad were somehow smuggled into one of the hubs which ended up maybe getting fired. Was told by a couple of players that they can't believe that more stories haven't yet come of these hubs and that some of these stories are awesome.

Here's the audio from the Ward TSN690 segment from tonight if you care to listen. :)
Ward shares stories from anonymous sources in the bubble

Still didn't get to listen. But thanks for the link. Ward is one of my favorite segments on that radio station.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Still didn't get to listen. But thanks for the link. Ward is one of my favorite segments on that radio station.

Ward is by far my favorite segment on TSN690 to listen to. Just from listening to him tonight you could just tell he knows way more great hub stories and was just dying to tell more but didn't.

Yet. :)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ward is by far my favorite segment on TSN690 to listen to. Just from listening to him tonight you could just tell he knows way more great hub stories and was just dying to tell more but didn't.

Yet. :)

Top 10 player on bottom half of Hart nominations? I’m going to guess Patrick Kane. Probably figured his season should be over and that the Hawks had no business being there.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Top 10 player on bottom half of Hart nominations? I’m going to guess Patrick Kane. Probably figured his season should be over and that the Hawks had no business being there.

He was my first thought as well and for that reason. Here's the list of the players on the Hart voting list that got the laughing maybe from Ward.

Matthews
Carlson
Kucherov
Ovechkin
Markstrom
Pettersson
Jarry
Kane
JT Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad