Out of Town Thread Part 40

The Seattle Kraken

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think alot of those high picks were in the 80s. I know they took muller 2nd. They got Shanahan 2nd as well, and Guerin 5th.

Looking at their cores from that 10 year period where they were winning cups, I think of brodeur, sykora, stevens, neidermayer, rafalski, Arnott, Gomez, gionta, lemieux, Elias etc..

I define high pick as a top 5. Arnott was close, but they got him through trading guerin.

Stevens is a strange one. I think the devils were losing Shanahan as a rfa to the Blues, but the Blues didn't have the compensatory draft picks to complete their obligations, and then the compensation turned out to be stevens.

I think much of their club was homegrown, and were not top 5 picks, but their 80s high picks did indirectly play a role in getting a couple of those core pieces (Shanahan for stevens and Guerin for arnott)

I mean, fine, we can use the Devils and Red Wings as example. But if we do, we should also mention how much they emphasized development, keeping their prospects for years in Europe or in the AHL. You're likely to get better long term success being patient and sacrificing a few wins that way then by chasing the 15th pick.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If I remember correctly, it was looking for a little while like they might've traded away Lindros. I think they wound up making another trade to insure that the Nords would have a first overall.

Just brutally dumb.
Yup, Quebec traded them three roster players for picks so that Toronto could be better and Quebec could embrace the tank.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Dorion is watching Lafreniere closely cause he thinks thats hes gonna come in OTTawa. I really dislike the system of drafting right now. Each team should have the same chsnce to pick first overall. Dynasty are dead cause this reason and it helps Dumb GM like Dorion to draft high without work well. They received literally a candy for their bad job

Reactions: CHarlie

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Dorion is watching Lafreniere closely cause he thinks thats hes gonna come in OTTawa. I really dislike the system of drafting right now. Each team should have the same chsnce to pick first overall. Dynasty are dead cause this reason and it helps Dumb GM like Dorion to draft high without work well. They received literally a candy for their bad job
I agree totally.....every team should get at least one ball in the lottery........heck I would even reward the Stanley Cup champs two balls for being the best.....then work your way down to the bottom with more odds equals more balls.

Reactions: PaulD and Hins77

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Lots of articles are bring written about Ovechkin potentially breaking Gretzky's record. I had not realized but Ovechkin is actually at a disadvantage not just because it's not the 1980s anymore, but also because he lost time to two different labour stoppages. He lost 116 games to stoppages, so that's potentially a lot of goals.

But it would be so incredible if Ovechkin were still a dominant athlete until age 39 or 40. That's what he needs to break the record.

Aside, something that Gretzky once said in one of his interviews is that he believes that 50 goals in 39 games will be the hardest record for someone else to break. Due to my limited understanding, I never got how that was the most impressive achievement.
Well 50 in 50 was the best until that winter.

To beat it by 11 games bordered on ridiculously impressive. I remember picking up the Sun on the way to work the morning after he did it. He scored 5 goals in his 39th game. Against the Flyers.

Both OV and Gretz have enjoyed advantages the other didnt have. Gretz had the high scoring 80s with some stinko goalies. OV in todays game gets way more powerplays, 5 on 3s, plus the 3 on 3 overtime.

Who will score the most ? Its great that OV has even entered the conversation for passing Wayne.

But regardless, Mario is the best goal scorer of all time. imo

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

This would definitely result in Montreal having more trouble becoming successful. Only chance they have now is teams with elite talent falling down...with the system you propose, the elite teams will just stay elite. Leafs for example would have kept their 1st and have been drafting high last 3 years. No longer do teams with expensive players have to worry since they can use high picks to draft ELC fillers.

Funny thing is, Dorion will have 2 top 10 picks this year (probably 2 top 5). They have actually said to be rebuilding. If he can be called dumb for losing Bowen Byram in the deal for Duchene, he is smart for getting Sharks pick for Karlsson.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Anaheim had a truck load of top 10 picks before drafting Perry and Getzlaf. They got lucky it happens (they had two picks the same year though). But anyway i'm not wasting my time anymore.
yea Lap. Its all luck.

Bergevin would have a couple of Cups if not for bad luck. :sarcasm:

Taking over a team with goalie about to win the Hart trophy in net. A stud about to win the Norris trophy on the blue line. Add a third over all pick, a proven 35 goal scoring winger in his prime. Throw in Brendan Gallagher as a rookie.

Poor Marc "No Luck" Bergevin and the Canadiens just cant catch a break.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yup, Quebec traded them three roster players for picks so that Toronto could be better and Quebec could embrace the tank.
Yep. Two Statsnys I believe. Anton and Marian.

Plus Quebec went with two rookie goalies to all but solidify the quest for last.

But the leafs still gave them a good run for last.....while trying not to. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Huge loss for the Jackets and their playoff push. Hopefully he isn't out for too long.

Flames lose Giordano
Canes lose Hamilton
Leafs lose Rielly
Canadiens lose Weber
Jackets lose Jones

Injuries are part of the game and part of every teams quest for positioning.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
This would definitely result in Montreal having more trouble becoming successful. Only chance they have now is teams with elite talent falling down...with the system you propose, the elite teams will just stay elite. Leafs for example would have kept their 1st and have been drafting high last 3 years. No longer do teams with expensive players have to worry since they can use high picks to draft ELC fillers.

Funny thing is, Dorion will have 2 top 10 picks this year (probably 2 top 5). They have actually said to be rebuilding. If he can be called dumb for losing Bowen Byram in the deal for Duchene, he is smart for getting Sharks pick for Karlsson.
Problem is management of detroit/ottawa/nj manage their team to lose right now instead of win. And thats what im not agree.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Let them draft Lafreniere. He’ll leave that hole once he starts demanding real money and Melnick won’t pay up.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Problem is management of detroit/ottawa/nj manage their team to lose right now instead of win. And thats what im not agree.

Forfeiting the short term is a standard and very human thing.

Google "marshmallow test".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad