Out of Town Thread Part 40

The Seattle Kraken

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Would be cool to see OV get to 1000 goals. If anyone could do it, it would be him.

That would be insane, but he has to be amongst the very top goal scorers each year from now until around age 40. Its a huge ask. Him getting to the Gretzky mark is still improbable on its own, let alone 1000, but I'd love to see him sustain his goal scoring dominance, and at least make it interesting.

And it's not just about staying healthy and highly productive, although he has been superhuman in that regard. It's about how he sees life as he gets older, and whether hockey still holds the same weight in his mind. How is the ambition to keep going with his child at home, and when does he want to go back to Russia?

The thing with jagr was that he had no kids or wife. He absolutely poured himself into his craft, and it made him into the player he was, who could play at a high level into his mid 40s. A guy with wife and kids may not have the same ambition to do that.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Big three California teams are 1,2,3 from the bottom. What the hell happened? :sarcasm:
It does seem weird to see the 3 of them where they are at. But in the last 15 years Anaheim and San Jose have won twice the amount of playoff series we did and LA has 2 Stanley cups to account for. Seeing Detroit missing the playoffs for the 4th season in a row does also feel strange, since they have been dominant for years. I would have love to have my team being as successful as those organizations the last 15 to 20 years.

Of those 3 teams, San Jose seems in the worst spot going forward.

Reactions: DAChampion

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That's what happen when you dominate for a long time. You draft late and no matter what some CH fans want you to believe the reality is you got to draft high to draft skills.
LA:
Anze Kopitar 11th OA
Traded for Jeff Carter who was 11th OA
Dustin Brown 13th OA
Traded for Mike Richards who was 24th OA

Anaheim:
Ryan Getzlaf 19th OA
Corey Perry 28th OA
Traded for Ryan Kesler who was 23rd OA

San Jose:
Traded for Joe Thornton who was 1st OA
Patrick Marleau at 2nd OA
Joe Pavelski 205th OA
Marc Edouard Vlasic 35th OA
Logan Couture 9th OA
Traded for Brent Burns who was 20th OA

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
LA:
Anze Kopitar 11th OA
Dustin Brown 13th OA

Anaheim:
Ryan Getzlaf 19th OA
Corey Perry 28th OA
Ryan Kesler 23rd OA

San Jose:
Joe Pavelski 205th OA
Logan Couture 9th OA

Anaheim had a truck load of top 10 picks before drafting Perry and Getzlaf. They got lucky it happens (they had two picks the same year though). But anyway i'm not wasting my time anymore.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Anaheim had a truck load of top 10 picks before drafting Perry and Getzlaf. They got lucky it happens (they had two picks the same year though). But anyway i'm not wasting my time anymore.
Well those are the 2 guys that lead them for a cup... Don't waste your time because you are wrong. Well Selanne too but he was 10th OA.

Reactions: japhi

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
LA:
Anze Kopitar 11th OA
Dustin Brown 13th OA

Anaheim:
Ryan Getzlaf 19th OA
Corey Perry 28th OA
Traded for Ryan Kesler who was 23rd OA

San Jose:
Joe Pavelski 205th OA
Logan Couture 9th OA

7 of these guys were first rounders from the legendary 2003 draft. They would have been top 10 picks in any other draft.

Come on man. This pretty much nails home the importance of top 10 picks. There won't be a 2003 anytime soon.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
7 of these guys were first rounders from the legendary 2003 draft. They would have been top 10 picks in any other draft.

Come on man. This pretty much nails home the importance of top 10 picks. There won't be a 2003 anytime soon.

Agree 100 % .
To add a sidenote to this and add to a point I have been hearing about playing outside the NHL when your 18/19 . This draft was followed by the lockout ... so all the prospects played in the AHL or International or in the Minors which has led some people to say that helped them a lot and is a big reason why that draft is considered one of the best ever .

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

What's the f***ing point if we make the wrong decision almost every time? Galchenyuk is about to head to the KHL and it sure as f*** wasn't because MT and CJ "ruined him". The guy was a flawed top 6 player who had a 30 goal season, he was then awful in his next 2 teams. Development wasn't good but there is no way in hell Galchenyuk would have been anywhere close to those guys with top notch development.

And now it looks like passing up on Hughes was another terrible decision. 40 f***ing points(41 he just got another one) in 54 games as a dman. Idk how you can tell me that size is crucial for a dman when Torey Krug was a dominant force in the finalists in the playoffs for a midget. Can't draft top 5 besides Price and the only great NHLer we drafted outside the 1st were Subban and Gallagher. Those teams managed to trade and draft top end players later on, we have failed miserably at both.

Reactions: the

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What's the ****ing point if we make the wrong decision almost every time? Galchenyuk is about to head to the KHL and it sure as **** wasn't because MT and CJ "ruined him". The guy was a flawed top 6 player who had a 30 goal season, he was then awful in his next 2 teams. Development wasn't good but there is no way in hell Galchenyuk would have been anywhere close to those guys with top notch development.

And now it looks like passing up on Hughes was another terrible decision. 40 ****ing points(41 he just got another one) in 54 games as a dman. Idk how you can tell me that size is crucial for a dman when Torey Krug was a dominant force in the finalists in the playoffs for a midget. Can't draft top 5 besides Price and the only great NHLer we drafted outside the 1st were Subban and Gallagher. Those teams managed to trade and draft top end players later on, we have failed miserably at both.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. You don't have to bring up Hughes every time either.

I was just pointing out that citing a bunch of 2003 picks to dispell the notion that picking top 10 will get you the good players is kind of being in agreement instead.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. You don't have to bring up Hughes every time either.

I was just pointing out that citing a bunch of 2003 picks to dispell the notion that picking top 10 will get you the good players is kind of being in agreement instead.
Ya but picking top 10 alone wont be enough. Even if you do a good job of that. You need to trade and/ or sign other players and absolutely need to draft well outside the 1st. To me that's a lot more important than top 10. Of course it helps if you do it right, but that's not enough. We have failed to do all those in many ways, but those teams I listed traded for big skilled guys, drafted them in the first and outside the first.

Reactions: the

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Ya but picking top 10 alone wont be enough. Even if you do a good job of that. You need to trade and/ or sign other players and absolutely need to draft well outside the 1st. To me that's a lot more important than top 10. Of course it helps if you do it right, but that's not enough. We have failed to do all those in many ways, but those teams I listed traded for big skilled guys, drafted them in the first and outside the first.

Absolutely.

If there's one thing that could save MB, aside from learning to have vision, would be to fix the drafting. Because, if a GM can acquire guys like Petry, Suzuki, Danault, Tatar, Domi like he did, he would usually ice a contender with a semi competent drafting team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad