The Seattle Kraken

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Absolutely.

If there's one thing that could save MB, aside from learning to have vision, would be to fix the drafting. Because, if a GM can acquire guys like Petry, Suzuki, Danault, Tatar, Domi like he did, he would usually ice a contender with a semi competent drafting team.
he probably think his drafting staff is good enough, just like when he thought Alzner and Slomo were good enough replacements to Markov.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wings 3
Bruins 1

So the bruins get to stew over this loss for a few days before playing the habs next. They will bring their A game.

These damn red wings have been a thorn in the backside for Montreal all year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
LA:
Anze Kopitar 11th OA
Traded for Jeff Carter who was 11th OA
Dustin Brown 13th OA
Traded for Mike Richards who was 24th OA

Anaheim:
Ryan Getzlaf 19th OA
Corey Perry 28th OA
Traded for Ryan Kesler who was 23rd OA

San Jose:
Traded for Joe Thornton who was 1st OA
Patrick Marleau at 2nd OA
Joe Pavelski 205th OA
Marc Edouard Vlasic 35th OA
Logan Couture 9th OA
Traded for Brent Burns who was 20th OA

Detroit also did it without high picks, at least when Yzerman was gone. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom were not even first rounders, and in the case of Datsyuk, and Zetterberg, it was not even close.

I don't think the devils had very high end pick in their core either during their dominant years, outside of neidermayer.

I look at Boston right now, and it seems they have created a pretty good team without that high first round pick as well, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well those are the 2 guys that lead them for a cup... Don't waste your time because you are wrong. Well Selanne too but he was 10th OA.
Anaheim won the cup because they fell out of the luck tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Chris Pronger would only go to a few select cities so they got him. Then Scott Neidermeyer wanted to join his brother. Then they got Selanne who looked washed up in Colorado... Three HOF players out of nothing. THAT'S why they won the cup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Detroit also did it without high picks, at least when Yzerman was gone. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom were not even first rounders, and in the case of Datsyuk, and Zetterberg, it was not even close.

I don't think the devils had very high end pick in their core either during their dominant years, outside of neidermayer.

I look at Boston right now, and it seems they have created a pretty good team without that high first round pick as well, unless I'm forgetting someone.
Devils drafted high for years. Got tons of really good players out of it. They got the shaft on the Stevens RFA acquisition losing Shanahan but at the end of the day Scott Neidermeyer was a monster for them. And then later for the Ducks.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So the bruins get to stew over this loss for a few days before playing the habs next. They will bring their A game.

These damn red wings have been a thorn in the backside for Montreal all year.
No excuse we simply have to beat Boston end of story.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Anaheim won the cup because they fell out of the luck tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Chris Pronger would only go to a few select cities so they got him. Then Scott Neidermeyer wanted to join his brother. Then they got Selanne who looked washed up in Colorado... Three HOF players out of nothing. THAT'S why they won the cup.
And Selanne only wanted to go to Anaheim because he’s an avid surfer and his favorite spot is in Orange County not far from the Honda Center. Gainey threw boatloads at him with Koivu also trying to lure his compatriot, instead Selanne signed a Kovalchuk deal to stay in surf city.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Devils drafted high for years. Got tons of really good players out of it. They got the shaft on the Stevens RFA acquisition losing Shanahan but at the end of the day Scott Neidermeyer was a monster for them. And then later for the Ducks.

I think alot of those high picks were in the 80s. I know they took muller 2nd. They got Shanahan 2nd as well, and Guerin 5th.

Looking at their cores from that 10 year period where they were winning cups, I think of brodeur, sykora, stevens, neidermayer, rafalski, Arnott, Gomez, gionta, lemieux, Elias etc..

I define high pick as a top 5. Arnott was close, but they got him through trading guerin.

Stevens is a strange one. I think the devils were losing Shanahan as a rfa to the Blues, but the Blues didn't have the compensatory draft picks to complete their obligations, and then the compensation turned out to be stevens.

I think much of their club was homegrown, and were not top 5 picks, but their 80s high picks did indirectly play a role in getting a couple of those core pieces (Shanahan for stevens and Guerin for arnott)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I was wondering about Galchenyuk. I looked up his stats. He has very low time on ice. Anyway, look up his numbers.
I'm concerned in the way that I feel like he's driving himself out of the league, the way his former Sarnia's Sting teammate, Nail Yakupov did.

galchal01-2020.jpg

Alex Galchenyuk

Position: C • Shoots: Left
6-1, 207lb (185cm, 93kg)
Team: Pittsburgh Penguins
Born: February 12, 1994 (Age: 25-360d) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin us
More bio, uniform, draft, salary info
27 17 18
2019‑20Pittsburgh PenguinsCurrent Season445121710-6
NHL Totals 534132181313195-59
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
84133015_498276980832612_2495474482576097280_n.png
I watch the Pens alot. Did not enjoy seeing Chucky work his own way to the 4th line. Ill say this......He earned that spot. May be gone from league by end of next season

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The pick that was used to select Scott neidermayer actually belonged to the leafs, they traded it away for Tom kurvers the year prior.

God bless the leafs and their misfortune

Reactions: DAChampion

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The pick that was used to select Scott neidermayer actually belonged to the leafs, they traded it away for Tom kurvers the year prior.

God bless the leafs and their misfortune
If I remember correctly, it was looking for a little while like they might've traded away Lindros. I think they wound up making another trade to insure that the Nords would have a first overall.

Just brutally dumb.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If I remember correctly, it was looking for a little while like they might've traded away Lindros. I think they wound up making another trade to insure that the Nords would have a first overall.

Just brutally dumb.

It was actually Quebec. Leafs & Nordiques were neck & neck for worst team that year. Leafs were scared they were about to giveaway Lindros to New Jersey in that Kurvers deal. Meanwhile, Quebec wanted to tank & get that 1st overall pick. They traded with Toronto to help the Leafs get better a bit, while they became the worst team that year.

Lindros wouldn't report. Quebec traded him to Philadelphia AND New York. Arbitration ruling was that Lindros had been traded to Philadelphia first. Quebec got that package which included Forsberg.

Ha. Ha. As I was writing this, you changed it from Flyers to Nords. :thumbu:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It was actually Quebec. Leafs & Nordiques were neck & neck for worst team that year. Leafs were scared they were about to giveaway Lindros to New Jersey in that Kurvers deal. Meanwhile, Quebec wanted to tank & get that 1st overall pick. They traded with Toronto to help the Leafs get better a bit, while they became the worst team that year.

Lindros wouldn't report. Quebec traded him to Philadelphia AND New York. Arbitration ruling was that Lindros had been traded to Philadelphia first. Quebec got that package which included Forsberg.

Ha. Ha. As I was writing this, you changed it from Flyers to Nords. :thumbu:
Yeah, I wrote it and then came back and realized I'd put in Philly. Of course it was Quebec. :)

And yep, I remember when Quebec had traded him to two teams. So classic.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad