Out of Town Thread 2021: Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
You sure about that?
The amount of NFL ties is negligible. Only 26 ties total in 46 seasons since the OT was introduced. That's something like 3.5% of all games played.

That said, the amount of ties has been creeping up since the 2017 OT rules change (~6%).

Of 48 games that went to OT in the last 4 seasons there have been 4 ties (~8%).

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
This is not a loser point. By loser point i don't mean giving a point to a team losing in OT i mean giving an extra loser point out of thin air. Sorry was not clear. This is a 3 points system where all games no exception are worth 3 points. With the loser point system a normal game is worth 2 points and you give an EXTRA loser point to a team losing in OT which means somehow for absolutely no reason at all OT games are worth 3 points and non OT games only 2.

This means that a team playing lot of overtime will participate in a lot of 3 points games and a team not playing in a lot of OT will play in 2 points games. At the end of the year it creates a league where the points% are ridiculously high and where 527 points % is actually a pretty bad points %.

If i was taking the decision i would just remove the point for a loss in OT and call it a day and have only the wins column and the losses column. But the league absolutely wants to give a points for losing in OT. That's fine but if you say a loss in OT is not as bad as a loss in regular time then you must also think that a win in regular time is worth more than a win in OT. Logically and mathematically this is the only way to make sense of giving a point to a team losing in OT.

Yeah, basically the way the NBA does it

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm genuinely asking. Are all teams covered by the same insurance company? Does it serve the entire league? What is their reputation? Do they have a history of that kind of thing? It really seems like people are talking out of their own ass and are kind of shamelessly confident in doing so. Again, would not be surprised if we're talking about a couple of games, but the idea that this is some sort of 3D chess move planned 9 months ahead by different parties is f***ing moronic. Because yes, it matter a shit ton who is paying who. Of course it does.

I can understand why people think it’s suspicious. The word going around as soon as it was announced he would miss the whole season was he’d be 100% as soon as the playoffs started and sure enough that happened. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to have an opinion that this was planned given how cap strapped the Lightning were at the time. The league needs to do something about the cap in the playoffs. Teams should not be allowed to be $10 million over it.

Reactions: Runner77

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
This is the same insurance company that allowed Hossa on LTIR for a mysterious skin condition that showed up conveniently when his salary dropped around league minimum. I think Kucherov was legitimately hurt obviously, but I’m not surprised that Tampa was able to play around with Kucherov on LTIR for atleast a couple of weeks. $5 million of his contract was signing bonuses and most of the other salary was already paid off. Even if he was deemed fit to play 3-4 games before the season ended, Tampa would’ve been screwed.
For sure. If the playoffs would've started 2 weeks ago you can bet your pants Kuch would be in the lineup. That Hossa thing was so convenient lol.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah, basically the way the NBA does it
NBA does it by winning percentage. It has no points system. A win in OT or regulation is identical there.

Winning percentage standings is what I'd like for the NHL to implement as well.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I can understand why people think it’s suspicious. The word going around as soon as it was announced he would miss the whole season was he’d be 100% as soon as the playoffs started and sure enough that happened. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to have an opinion that this was planned given how cap strapped the Lightning were at the time. The league needs to do something about the cap in the playoffs. Teams should not be allowed to be $10 million over it.

People think it's super suspicious because they refuse to live in the real world and instead look at everything through fandom. It never occurs to them that there's different actors involved with different interests.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
People think it's super suspicious because they refuse to live in the real world and instead look at everything through fandom. It never occurs to them that there's different actors involved with different interests.

I respect your opinion. At the end of the day, we can really only speculate the truth because we don’t actually know. I’m on the side that this was a bit of a work by the Lightning. I see several red flags. I don’t think Tampa had any concern losing Kucherov would have any effect on making the playoffs which is the only thing they care about. They didn’t break any rules so I won’t roast them for doing it if they did. That’s just my opinion tho.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yes I disagree because no single player will win a cup by himself and the Oilers teams have been ridiculously bad.
Its like taking something away from Eichel because the Sabres never make the POs.
Dont confused individual skills for team accomplishments.
Well, Ovie won scoring title after scoring title and I'd bet that winning the cup is probably his biggest accomplishment. Individual stats are great accomplishments but winning trumps all else.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, Ovie won scoring title after scoring title and I'd bet that winning the cup is probably his biggest accomplishment. Individual stats are great accomplishments but winning trumps all else.
I mean ya but that's not what we are discussing. Obviously it's way more meaningful to win a cup than an individual trophy.
Aaron Ward won multiple cups, is he one of the greatest Dmen of modern times for it? Of course not.
So winning the cup doesn't mean you're a better player.
Crosby is an amazing talent and is a better all around player than McDavid but in terms of offense, CM is just above everyone.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
How much before? Because what you're suggesting is that the Tampa Bay Lightning were committing insurance fraud and everyone else just took it. By the end of the regular season, insurance was paying Kucherov, not the Bolts.
I don’t know how it really work in the NHL but at my job. Paramedic/ambulance. There is many many many people on « arrest job » because of « injury ». Its weird cause most of these injury come the summer and end the fall. Im wondering why! Or they are injured on a long long long term lol. Its Easy when you know how to talk to the doctor

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I mean ya but that's not what we are discussing. Obviously it's way more meaningful to win a cup than an individual trophy.
Aaron Ward won multiple cups, is he one of the greatest Dmen of modern times for it? Of course not.
So winning the cup doesn't mean you're a better player.
Crosby is an amazing talent and is a better all around player than McDavid but in terms of offense, CM is just above everyone.
I mean it in the context of how the recognition changes once a great player wins a cup. Ovie was always one of my favorite players but when he was mentioned as one of the greatest ever, there were always comments about his lack of a cup. That talk doesn't exist now because he finally has it. McDavid is great but he is also lucky enough to play in a time where the smallest infractions get called, even more than when Crosby was in his prime thus inflating his point totals and being in an all Canadian division is also helping. He will always put up points but I don't see him pulling off these totals with regular division alignment.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I mean it in the context of how the recognition changes once a great player wins a cup. Ovie was always one of my favorite players but when he was mentioned as one of the greatest ever, there were always comments about his lack of a cup. That talk doesn't exist now because he finally has it. McDavid is great but he is also lucky enough to play in a time where the smallest infractions get called, even more than when Crosby was in his prime thus inflating his point totals and being in an all Canadian division is also helping. He will always put up points but I don't see him pulling off these totals with regular division alignment.

I don't think Ovi is in the talk for GOAT status outside of goalscoring.

Ya sure playing in this weak division probably helped pad his stats this season but I'm not even looking at that. I just pay attention to how he plays and he's done it in previous years in normal seasons. His ability to skate as fast as he does with the puck is just nuts. His ability with the puck is next level, and that's based off years in the league, not just this season.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
after watching TB/Fla last night, habs are on another, weaker planet. no way we get past these two teams + boston and toronto next year.
no playoffs

Without a change in direction, this team will be fighting with Buffalo & Detroit for the basement of the Atlantic next year...tanking without thinking we're tanking...worst of both Worlds...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Without a change in direction, this team will be fighting with Buffalo & Detroit for the basement of the Atlantic next year...tanking without thinking we're tanking...worst of both Worlds...

I said this was going to happen 3 years ago after we had the collapse in 17/18 if they wouldn’t pick a direction and here we are. They want to have it both ways with being competitive and challenging as contenders and it’s not realistic. Especially with how bad our drafting has been and the lack of interest players have with being here. We’re getting a couple of back to back playoffs only because of a once in a life time pandemic but the team is just spinning circles with the exact same GM that put us in this position still here. I’ve almost ran out of words to describe the mess we’re in.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's just entering his prime now. He'll still have teams he can pad his stats against in regular play and the schedule won't be nearly as insane. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see 150 points from him next year.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Insurance companies would have their own doctors evaluate Kucherov. They don't need folks on the inside.
Perhaps. However it's not like shady stuff never happens behind the scenes either. I don't know at what frequency they would evaluate him either. I'm very skeptical that they would evaluate him that regularly. With all the injuries occuring in a season, they have to rely on the integrity of the medical groups of the teams. If it's anything like the real world anyway.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
People still pissed at Tampa for playing the Cap to their advantage is silly...Laffs just did the same damn thing and all of a sudden no one is critical of that...teams do it every year...if Bargain Bin had a brain in his head, he would have done it with Shyterot and actually improved this team going into the playoffs instead of making it worse...

Reactions: Andrei79

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Why are the TVA Habs PBP guys calling the Caps-Bruins? They'll be exausted by the end of the series. Or it could be a blessing and other PBP guys might do the Habs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad