Out of Town Thread 2021: Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
More importantly since the insurance kicks in after 30 games (unless i'm wrong) technically that could 100% be considered a fraud.

Which also makes it likely that Kucherov was evaluated by exterior doctors with no vested interest in the Tampa Bay Lightning and was cleared. People are ridiculous. Kucherov was injured and Tampa caught a 'break' (if you really want to call it that...they played a whole season without their best forward) but there's no conspiracy.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I really, really want someone to explain to me how they can come to the conclusion that one of the best players in the world would accept to forfeit a season in his prime. Let alone a ton of other actors who would be excusing it as well and foregoing professionalism.
His injury was real. His recovering wasnt. He would probably be recover and okay to play before before but if he would did it. His team would cap crunch.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
His injury was real. His recovering wasnt. He would probably be recover and okay to play before before but if he would did it. His team would cap crunch.

How much before? Because what you're suggesting is that the Tampa Bay Lightning were committing insurance fraud and everyone else just took it. By the end of the regular season, insurance was paying Kucherov, not the Bolts.

Reactions: zeeto

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
We'd be literally the only major sport in North America that allows ties if we were to revert back. MLB, NFL, NBA all make sure there's a winner at the end.

Again, not a huge 3 on 3 guy but the reason it's there is so teams stop playing for shootouts. I remember teams just sitting back and playing for the tie when it was close enough just so each of them could leave with a point. That leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to entertaining sports.

And in general, I think that's better for sports. Sports comes hand to hand with emotions, and you feel more strongly with a win or a loss than an anticlimactic tie.

You sure about that?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
How much before? Because what you're suggesting is that the Tampa Bay Lightning were committing insurance fraud and everyone else just took it. By the end of the regular season, insurance was paying Kucherov, not the Bolts.
Is that so far fetched though? When there's money involved...

I mean coming back from a long term injury and important surgery, not having played in almost a year in reality and coming back right where you left off and score 2 goals and 3 points and play 20 minutes in the game looks suspect at the very least.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Is that so far fetched though? When there's money involved...

I mean coming back from a long term injury and important surgery, not having played in almost a year in reality and coming back right where you left off and score 2 goals and 3 points and play 20 minutes in the game looks suspect at the very least.

Yes, it is, when we stop thinking strictly in terms of hockey advantage and realize that we're discussing health, professionals and adults living and working in the real world. Is there a possibility where they realized that having Kucherov play a game or two in the regular season wasn't worth it and/or that he'd also play in game 1 if he wasn't 100% but still able to go? Yeah, sure. But that's about it. There wasn't some massive conspiracy to keep this guy out for weeks if he was healthy enough to play. Why would external actors such as insurance companies and doctors accept that?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Yes, it is, when we stop thinking strictly in terms of hockey advantage and realize that we're discussing health, professionals and adults living and working in the real world. Is there a possibility where they realized that having Kucherov play a game or two in the regular season wasn't worth it and/or that he'd also play in game 1 if he wasn't 100% but still able to go? Yeah, sure. But that's about it. There wasn't some massive conspiracy to keep this guy out for weeks if he was healthy enough to play. Why would external actors such as insurance companies and doctors accept that?
It's possible that he would have been able to come back for only a handful of games; it's an entirely possible explanation. However, you assume the integrity of every person involved. High stakes generally tend to help bend integrity principles.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's possible that he would have been able to come back for only a handful of games; it's an entirely possible explanation. However, you assume the integrity of every person involved. High stakes generally tend to help bend integrity principles.

What's the upside for the insurance company to payout a very high salary when they do not have to...?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
What's the upside for the insurance company to payout a very high salary when they do not have to...?
I doubt that the insurance company has people on the inside. In any case, I'm just playing the devil's advocate. I'm a little bit on the fence about this situation.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
We'd be literally the only major sport in North America that allows ties if we were to revert back. MLB, NFL, NBA all make sure there's a winner at the end.

Again, not a huge 3 on 3 guy but the reason it's there is so teams stop playing for shootouts. I remember teams just sitting back and playing for the tie when it was close enough just so each of them could leave with a point. That leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to entertaining sports.

And in general, I think that's better for sports. Sports comes hand to hand with emotions, and you feel more strongly with a win or a loss than an anticlimactic tie.
Hockey is the only sport who accept fighting, yet I don't see a lot of posters here challenging that. NFL also accepts ties, it's just not that often. The idea to preserve the lead is endemic to the sport and has nothing to do with having a tie or not. Scoring a goal is hard, in hockey or in soccer, that's why we see this trend in both sports, while we aren't seing this in football or basketball.

The main problem with a tie game system (which was not resolved by 3on3 and SO) is bad teams play overly defensibly to get a point cause they know they can't win against good team most of the time. If you are old enough to have seen the dead puck era at the end of the 90ies i can tell you the 3rd period and specially the 5on5 OT were boring as hell. As soon as an unskilled team was involved in a game against a good team said bad team was starting to defend in the middle of the 2nd period and would lock down the center of the ice for over 30 minutes.

Watching a game against Hasek's Sabres was worse than poking your own eyes with a red hot iron bar and then blowing up a grenade right beside your own ears. This was unbearable. But the current system doesn't solve that outside of giving a chance for good teams to actually get 2 points in OT or SO and at least make the OT somewhat fun to watch. Bad teams will still play for the extra point in the 3rd period. I think it's still a better system since it rewards skilled teams after the 3rd period which is what you want to do. The only way to force bad teams to play for the win in the 3rd period would be to make a wins-losses system where losing the game in OT would give 0 point.
I doubt it would change much for the reasons presented above. I'm all for a 3pts system, but stupid 3-3 hockey and shoutouts must go.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The main problem with a tie game system (which was not resolved by 3on3 and SO) is bad teams play overly defensibly to get a point cause they know they can't win against good team most of the time. If you are old enough to have seen the dead puck era at the end of the 90ies i can tell you the 3rd period and specially the 5on5 OT were boring as hell. As soon as an unskilled team was involved in a game against a good team said bad team was starting to defend in the middle of the 2nd period and would lock down the center of the ice for over 30 minutes.

Watching a game against Hasek's Sabres was worse than poking your own eyes with a red hot iron bar and then blowing up a grenade right beside your own ears. This was unbearable. But the current system doesn't solve that outside of giving a chance for good teams to actually get 2 points in OT or SO and at least make the OT somewhat fun to watch. Bad teams will still play for the extra point in the 3rd period. I think it's still a better system since it rewards skilled teams after the 3rd period which is what you want to do. The only way to force bad teams to play for the win in the 3rd period would be to make a wins-losses system where losing the game in OT would give 0 point.

I think the main problem back then was the officiating standard. Guys were literally allowed to waterski off other players, and it made it alot easier to defend.

Even the best teams teams took advantage of it. As skilled as Detroit was, they could lock down as well as anybody for the 3rd period.

The officiating today is still corrupted by game management, but it's leaps and bounds better in terms of providing more of a platform for stars to shine. There's a huge decrease in the tolerance for hooks, and slashes especially.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Toronto promotes Hayley Wickenheiser and hires Danielle Goyette.. they also have someone evaluating and developing coaches and executives at all levels.

Meanwhile Bergy is probably asking his personal trainer if he wants to be an AHL assistant coach.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Toronto promotes Hayley Wickenheiser and hires Danielle Goyette.. they also have someone evaluating and developing coaches and executives at all levels.

Meanwhile Bergy is probably asking his personal trainer if he wants to be an AHL assistant coach.

The Wickenheiser move is weird. I remember reading that she’s just starting a residency. How TF will she have time to do anything else?

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010

Funny and sad at the same time.

This org. is so behind the times....and then people wonder why we haven't won anything in close to 30 years. But hey, we need to focus on getting those gars de chez nous or else!

Reactions: WeThreeKings

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
It is a treat to watch games from the Florida arena. The cameras are so low it feels like you are at the game and makes the pace seem even quicker. ACC is kind of like this too while the Bell Centre cameras almost feel like they are on a blimp.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

This is the same insurance company that allowed Hossa on LTIR for a mysterious skin condition that showed up conveniently when his salary dropped around league minimum. I think Kucherov was legitimately hurt obviously, but I’m not surprised that Tampa was able to play around with Kucherov on LTIR for atleast a couple of weeks. $5 million of his contract was signing bonuses and most of the other salary was already paid off. Even if he was deemed fit to play 3-4 games before the season ended, Tampa would’ve been screwed.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
This is the same insurance company that allowed Hossa on LTIR for a mysterious skin condition that showed up conveniently when his salary dropped around league minimum. I think Kucherov was legitimately hurt obviously, but I’m not surprised that Tampa was able to play around with Kucherov on LTIR for atleast a couple of weeks. $5 million of his contract was signing bonuses and most of the other salary was already paid off. Even if he was deemed fit to play 3-4 games before the season ended, Tampa would’ve been screwed.

What insurance company is that? Do you have a name?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
No idea. I’ve never really cared enough to look into it. Does it really matter in the grand scheme whose paying tho? Whoever it is doesn’t seem to have tight rules.

I'm genuinely asking. Are all teams covered by the same insurance company? Does it serve the entire league? What is their reputation? Do they have a history of that kind of thing? It really seems like people are talking out of their own ass and are kind of shamelessly confident in doing so. Again, would not be surprised if we're talking about a couple of games, but the idea that this is some sort of 3D chess move planned 9 months ahead by different parties is f***ing moronic. Because yes, it matter a shit ton who is paying who. Of course it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad