Out of Town Thread: 2018-2019 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The problem with all the hot takes about the "hot takes" made about Tkachuck is that its taken out of context.

The context of drafting for the team that is the Habs. A team that has many players with a similar impact to Tkachuck. Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Domi, Byron to an extent Scherback, Lekhonen.

It'd be fun if people stopped trying to make the people that take their precious time to give out information about prospects dumb, by acting dumb. The narrative that we should not draft Tkachuk stemmed from the Draft thread, were Im a regular, and I can assure you what Tkachuk is doing doesn't change anything to what was said.

No offense, but your assurance is worth very little to me and I'm confident that Tkachuk continuing to play the way he is will change most of those "opinions / hot takes".

Personally, I had hot takes as well regarding last draft. I said I watched a bunch of Zadina vids and found him to be lacking. Furthermore, I thought that the fact his combines were so underwhelming was a a problem considering where he was supposed to be in his development. But it remains a hot take because I've only seen some vids and I knew that my opinion wasn't worth a lot. I don't mind posting my hot takes on this board, I don't mind others doing the same... as long as they know it's a hot take.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No offense, but your assurance is worth very little to me and I'm confident that Tkachuk continuing to play the way he is will change most of those "opinions / hot takes".

Personally, I had hot takes as well regarding last draft. I said I watched a bunch of Zadina vids and found him to be lacking. Furthermore, I thought that the fact his combines were so underwhelming was a a problem considering where he was supposed to be in his development. But it remains a hot take because I've only seen some vids and I knew that my opinion wasn't worth a lot. I don't mind posting my hot takes on this board, I don't mind others doing the same... as long as they know it's a hot take.
But what we've been saying hasn't been formed around some vids. We genuinly watch the games.

I don't even think you actually know what was said, and like I mentionned above, just like everyone else mentioning Tkachuk, takes the comments out of context.

What was said was that we do not need a top 6 winger, has this changed today ? With the emergence of Tatar, it's even more true.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not sure. The power forward is alive and well, from Thornton, Getzlaf, Benn, Perry, Lucic to the Tkachuks, Wilson, Kane, etc. There's plenty of those types, big players than can play with the best, hit and can fight
Premature with the Tkachuks. Lucic score 30 once. Wilson. Heavy hitter, BUT...........

Power forwards like Benn that can be top 10 in scoring too boot?? More rare these days. As i put in another post. These guys could fight, hit , lead, score 40 to 50 goals, and play for Team Canada. Lindros, Shanny, Neely, Verbeek, Iggy, Nolan, Roberts, Nuendyke, Tochett, Messier, Wendyl, Kevin Stevens, Tkachuck (last two team USA) All these guys in the league at the same time playing against one another. All stars. First line players. Most of them captains and HOF'ers.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The problem with all the hot takes about the "hot takes" made about Tkachuck is that its taken out of context.

The context of drafting for the team that is the Habs. A team that has many players with a similar impact to Tkachuck. Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Domi, Byron to an extent Scherback, Lekhonen.

It'd be fun if people stopped trying to make the people that take their precious time to give out information about prospects dumb, by acting dumb. The narrative that we should not draft Tkachuk stemmed from the Draft thread, were Im a regular, and I can assure you what Tkachuk is doing doesn't change anything to what was said.

This is 100 %. As I recall, most people were taking a view of Tkachuk of him becoming a bigger version of Gallagher. Now we all know everybody loves Gallagher, so what's not to like having a bigger version of him ?

The thought was that for this team, we needed a player to create plays more than a guy like Gallagher or Tkachuk can, especially in the form of a possible 1C. Many acknowledged that if we had the other fundamental pieces we needed, then Tkachuk would be a fine selection.

So yes, regardless of what Tkachuk is doing, those discussions and opinions stand and are unaffected.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Premature with the Tkachuks. Lucic score 30 once. Wilson. Heavy hitter.

Power forwards like Benn that can be top 10 in scoring too boot. More rare these days. As i put in another post. These guys could fight, hit , lead, score 40 to 50 goals, and play for Team Canada. Lindros, Shanny, Neely, Verbeek, Iggy, Roberts, Nuendyke, Tochett, Messier, Wendyl, Kevin Stevens, Tkachuck (last two team USA) All these guys in the league at the same time. All first line players. All stars. Most of them captains.
Matthew clearly is a first line forward, Lucic has 6 seasons of 50 points or more, I mean, I think you're confusing being elite with a first liner/top 6er. Guys like Tocchet, Tkachuk, Nieuwendyk, Verbeek, Roberts, are most likely not better than Matthew Tkachuk today. Even Kevins stevens, I don't know.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Matthew clearly is a first line forward, Lucic has 6 seasons of 50 points or more, I mean, I think you're confusing being elite with a first liner/top 6er. Guys like Tocchet, Tkachuk, Nieuwendyk, Verbeek, Roberts, are most likely not better than Matthew Tkachuk today. Even Kevins stevens, I don't know.
:laugh:

Nuendyke won three cups with three different teams. First line for Team Canada. Con Smythe trophy winner as MVP in the play offs.

Stevens , Verbeek and Shanahan all in exclusive club of scoring 50 goals and 200 penalty minutes in the same season.

Clarke could lead leafs in goals while fighting Bob Probert for fun.

Rick Tochett Stanley Cup winner and 50 goal scorer broke his jaw, came back and with jaw wired shut fought Shane Corson.

I like both Tkchucks and Lucic could play on my team any time btw. Just not as many of the tough great power forwards today. The ones that used to be on your first line and the highest paid players on the team as well. For good reason.

Thats what Tyson meant by " Benn from another era"

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Issue I had with the Tkachuk takes is they seem to have more to do with his perception as a Bergrvin type of player.

Ignoring that he had qualities, unto himself, that made him a top 5 pick on almost every draft board.

There are people on this board whose opinions on prospects I have a tremendous amount of respect for and I always defer to them.

But it did seem like their thoughts on Bergevin were bleeding into their evaluations of Tkachuk.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Pens holding the Leafs scoreless more than halfway through the game, interesting to see how long that lasts

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
:laugh: Nuendyke won three cups with three different teams. First line for Team Canada. Con Smythe trophy winner as MVP in the play offs.

Stevens , Verbeek and Shanahan all in exclusive club of scoring 50 goals and 200 penalty minutes in the same season.

Clarke could lead leafs in goals while fighting Bob Probert for fun.

Rick Tochett Stanley Cup winner and 50 goal scorer broke his jaw, came back and with jaw wired shut he fought Shane Corson.

I like both Tkchucks and Lucic could play on my team any time btw. Just not as many of the tough great power forwards today. The ones that used to be on your first line and the highest paid players on the team as well. For good reason.

Thats what Tyson meant by " Benn from another era"

But is he really when Thornton, Benn, Getzlaf, Perry, Lucic, Tkachuk, etc is a better group than the nostalgia filled one ?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
But is he really when Thornton, Benn, Getzlaf, Perry, Lucic, Tkachuk, etc is a better group than the nostalgia filled one ?
No. I agree with you on those players.. The guys you mentioned with Benn (from this decade)go well with the twelve guys I mentioned from the 90's.

I agree with Tyson though. There used to be more of them. Even though there were less teams.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Issue I had with the Tkachuk takes is they seem to have more to do with his perception as a Bergrvin type of player.

Ignoring that he had qualities, unto himself, that made him a top 5 pick on almost every draft board.

There are people on this board whose opinions on prospects I have a tremendous amount of respect for and I always defer to them.

But it did seem like their thoughts on Bergevin were bleeding into their evaluations of Tkachuk.

He is a Bergevin type of pick though, isn't he ? Toughness, character, bloodline, attitude, etc.

But theyre not mutually exclusive, anyway.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No. I agree with you on those players.. The guys you mentioned with Benn (from this decade)go well with the twelve guys I mentioned from the 90's.

I agree with Tyson thought. There used to be more of them. Nothing wrong with that. Just a fact.
You mentionned players spanning thirty years :laugh: From Verbeek to Iginla, that's from 1980 to 2015

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He is a Bergevin type of pick though, isn't he ? Toughness, character, bloodline, attitude, etc.

But theyre not mutually exclusive, anyway.
I think those characteristics are characteristics that many GM's covet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad