Out Of Town Scoreboard VII The Cup Results Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fleury has as many cups as Marty now lol

Only 1.5 were as a starter.

Osgood also has 3 cups, with just 2 as a starter.

I don't really see Fleury as having a legit chance at the HOF, though I did think it was possible if he started this entire playoffs and they won the cup. I do think it's also possible if he wins another one as a starter. I wouldn't bet on him getting in if that happens, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Osgood isn't in and I'm doubting he will be. It would have to be a really weak year.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Only 1.5 were as a starter.

Osgood also has 3 cups, with just 2 as a starter.

I don't really see Fleury as having a legit chance at the HOF, though I did think it was possible if he started this entire playoffs and they won the cup. I do think it's also possible if he wins another one as a starter. I wouldn't bet on him getting in if that happens, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Osgood isn't in and I'm doubting he will be. It would have to be a really weak year.

MAF was a key player this Spring.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
didn't realize he doesn't turn 30 until this year...i thought he was a loooot older than that. really impressive...i don't know, i find it very hard to hate him as much as other fans do.

I find it easy to hate him due to the oft-whiny attitude and little rat cheap shots he throws when he gets into a temper tantrum (I'll always remember one game vs the Devils several years ago where he slew footed one player and then cup checked Elias on the same shift).

But I can't help admire his talent and ability as a player. He's closing in on top 5 all time player level.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
MAF was a key player this Spring.

I think the only reason they took him out is because he's in lame duck status there. I think if they can help it, they'll either hope Vegas takes him or sell him cheap to Calgary or some other team with no starting goalie. And retain salary if they have to.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I doubt MAF gets in the HHOF, but then again 2000-2010 was very lean for top goalies. He might get in by default. Luongo, Lundqvist, and Price are the only guys who entered the league at that time that seem to be surefire HHOF guys. Tim Thomas I think gets in, his peak was insane.

After that we're it's pretty muddy. Guys like Marty Turco and Ryan Miller belong nowhere near the HHOF. Tuukka Rask? J Quick? Possibly but I doubt it. MAF may very well be the next in line on compiling alone.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think the only reason they took him out is because he's in lame duck status there. I think if they can help it, they'll either hope Vegas takes him or sell him cheap to Calgary or some other team with no starting goalie. And retain salary if they have to.

LV should take him IMO, give them instant name recognition and a vet who's won Cups in the locker room.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I doubt MAF gets in the HHOF, but then again 2000-2010 was very lean for top goalies. He might get in by default. Luongo, Lundqvist, and Price are the only guys who entered the league at that time that seem to be surefire HHOF guys. Tim Thomas I think gets in, his peak was insane.

After that we're it's pretty muddy. Guys like Marty Turco and Ryan Miller belong nowhere near the HHOF. Tuukka Rask? J Quick? Possibly but I doubt it. MAF may very well be the next in line on compiling alone.

I think Thomas and his lack of longevity will cost him from getting in.

I do think Quick is on pace to get in and have argued this several times, which brings a lot of laughs on the main board.

Quick will be the US born leader in goalie wins by the time he retires, he'll have at least two cups as a starter (even though he wasn't very good in the 2014 playoffs) and a Conn Smythe and he already has the most shutouts among US born goalies as it is. I don't think he'd get in if he abruptly retired today, Barrasso had two cups as a starter and a Vezina and Calder and almost 370 wins and never got in. I do think he's well on pace though. Lundqvist is the only active goalie that I think is a lock. Luongo probably should get in, but I can see him being snubbed completely or at least snubbed for a long time.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My heart really goes out to Nashville, what a God awful way to lose. They deserved a better end than this.

Agreed. I feel terrible for their fans. I almost think the soft penalties called on the Penguins in the 3rd was the ref attempting to atone for that obvious "no goal" mistake.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I find it easy to hate him due to the oft-whiny attitude and little rat cheap shots he throws when he gets into a temper tantrum (I'll always remember one game vs the Devils several years ago where he slew footed one player and then cup checked Elias on the same shift).

But I can't help admire his talent and ability as a player. He's closing in on top 5 all time player level.

Yup. Hate him.

Legendary player, but I can't stand him.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think Thomas and his lack of longevity will cost him from getting in.

I do think Quick is on pace to get in and have argued this several times, which brings a lot of laughs on the main board.

Quick will be the US born leader in goalie wins by the time he retires, he'll have at least two cups as a starter (even though he wasn't very good in the 2014 playoffs) and a Conn Smythe and he already has the most shutouts among US born goalies as it is. I don't think he'd get in if he abruptly retired today, Barrasso had two cups as a starter and a Vezina and Calder and almost 370 wins and never got in. I do think he's well on pace though. Lundqvist is the only active goalie that I think is a lock.

Ehh, I see what you're saying but I don't think Quick has really done much to distance himself from a guy like JS Giguere who I would certainly not put in the HHOF.

Quick still has plenty of time but he would needs to sustained regular season success - a few Vezina finishes would do wonders for his legacy IMO. Right now he strikes me more as a guy who got hot at the right time. I think if you plugged any number of goalies into that spot they could have replicated his success.

For him to get in he needs to distinguish himself from the team. Now that LA is fading, if he puts up some great seasons with poor support I'd be happy to revisit him. His status as the top compiling American goalie doesn't really factor into my evaluation.

I think Luongo 100% gets in, from 2004-2011 he was never worse than the 3rd best goalie in the league. He matched Marty's Hart caliber season in 2007 and will end up 3rd all time in wins when he retires. He was very easy to hate because of the Canadian media hype surrounding him, but he was an outstanding goalie. It's kind of a shame he never got a Vezina while guys like Miller, Theodore, and Bobrovsky did.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

well, i agree with that to a certain extent...but you have to remember, the guy takes more **** than anyone else I can think of. every single shift...that can take a toll.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ehh, I see what you're saying but I don't think Quick has really done much to distance himself from a guy like JS Giguere who I would certainly not put in the HHOF.

Quick still has plenty of time but he would needs to sustained regular season success - a few Vezina finishes would do wonders for his legacy IMO. Right now he strikes me more as a guy who got hot at the right time. I think if you plugged any number of goalies into that spot they could have replicated his success.

For him to get in he needs to distinguish himself from the team. Now that LA is fading, if he puts up some great seasons with poor support I'd be happy to revisit him. His status as the top compiling American goalie doesn't really factor into my evaluation.

I think Luongo 100% gets in, from 2004-2011 he was never worse than the 3rd best goalie in the league. He matched Marty's Hart caliber season in 2007 and will end up 3rd all time in wins when he retires. He was very easy to hate because of the Canadian media hype surrounding him, but he was an outstanding goalie. It's kind of a shame he never got a Vezina while guys like Miller, Theodore, and Bobrovsky did.

Don't get me wrong, I personally wouldn't put Quick in the HOF, but because of his compiling of these stats among US born goalies, I think that gives him the edge as far as the committee goes. Don't get me wrong, if he retired today, I don't think he'd be in the HOF. Unlike Lundqvist and Luongo (Assuming Luongo DOES get in), whereas Lundqvist is a lock and if Luongo does get in, he's probably gonna get in or not get in whether he retires today or in two years. Although passing Ed Belfour should definitely get Luongo in, no matter what.

I do think Luongo should be in, I'm just afraid that he has this weak and negative reputation among people, hopefully not those in the committee. I don't even consider Ryan Miller a pimple. He made a career out of being incredibly average. To his credit, he still remains very average at age 36/37, but he had that one great season and Olympics and hasn't even hit .920 in any other season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Don't get me wrong, I personally wouldn't put Quick in the HOF, but because of his compiling of these stats among US born goalies, I think that gives him the edge as far as the committee goes. Don't get me wrong, if he retired today, I don't think he'd be in the HOF. Unlike Lundqvist and Luongo (Assuming Luongo DOES get in), whereas Lundqvist is a lock and if Luongo does get in, he's probably gonna get in or not get in whether he retires today or in two years. Although passing Ed Belfour should definitely get Luongo in, no matter what.

I do think Luongo should be in, I'm just afraid that he has this weak and negative reputation among people, hopefully not those in the committee. I don't even consider Ryan Miller a pimple. He made a career out of being incredibly average. To his credit, he still remains very average at age 36/37, but he had that one great season and Olympics and hasn't even hit .920 in any other season.

Yes to Luongo

No to Quick (nor Frazee)

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Debriefing this series, for anyone who still wants to think about it -

Nashville was clearly outclassed on the front line. They did not match up in scoring skill up front with Pittsburgh and once the checking got tight, well, it's impossible to win if you don't score. Having Johanson and Fiala hurt did not help.

In their absence they needed Forsberg to step up in the series and he gave them nothing, besides steady positional play. Guys like Sissons and Smith showed they have talent. They may develop and push them over the top, but . . .

When they are talking about getting back here (as all losers do) I don't think it's going to be that easy. They will catch no one by surprise next year. Unless they add a couple or three top end forwards, they may have had their shot for the time being.

For Pittsburgh a big unsung hero was Kunitz. Great assist on the winning goal. A Jacques Lemaire type player who's a winner, meaning the guy who's more than fundamentally sound and raises his game every time the team needs a play.

Pittsburgh showed in the series and playoffs as a whole that they were able to adjust their entire style of play when needed; become a tight back checking team, controlling their counterattacks, and living off the forecheck when necessary. A good cohesive well coached group; maybe the best pure coaching job I've seen in a decade in this playoffs, because of the way they were able to adjust their style when necessary. A very mentally strong and intelligent team along with having all that talent.

I completely overlooked Kunitz being a four-time champion until last night.

Also did not realize he is 37.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
well, i agree with that to a certain extent...but you have to remember, the guy takes more **** than anyone else I can think of. every single shift...that can take a toll.

I don't really agree with this. He doesn't get anymore or any less than any other star player IMO. He is just way more vocal about it, and the media is way quicker to point it out and make a big deal of it when it's Crosby.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

Luongo is a shoe-in for the HOF

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes to Luongo

No to Quick (nor Frazee)

Why not Frazee? Are you kidding me? Frazee has a .1000 save percentage and a 0.00 GAA! How many goalies in the history of the NHL can say that? Welcoming in all these goalies who allowed all these goals into the HOF but snubbing a guy that's never allowed any? :laugh:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
WIth the pens winning the cup does that let the caps off the hook for a "choke"? Hard to choke a series to the back to back champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad