Out of Town: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
So the guy doesn't go to the bars after the game with the guys, instead enjoys reading a book. I could give less a crap about that stuff. Dougie is a possession monster who generates tons of shots. He will be loved in Carolina quickly.

One reason I absolutely hate "character' concerns in hockey. For a sport that has such an issue with alcohol abuse and stories of toxic "bro" behavior, the only time these concerns ever come up is when a player has a little bit of a different personality. I guess it's inevitable in such a homogeneous sport, but I'm hoping this mentality slowly dies out.

Reactions: Peanut

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Elias Lindholm and Hanifin were available.

Bergevin could have offered Weber, Pacioretty, and two second rounders. That would have been competitive with Calgary's offer.

Tough.
Not at all competitive with Calgary's offer because it doesn't provide Carolina with what they are looking for; youth. They are in full rebuild currently and have some really good pieces; but their window isn't in the next 3 years. They've acquired some pieces that will be right around their prime as they hit their window.

Reactions: DAChampion

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Elias Lindholm and Hanifin were available.

Bergevin could have offered Weber, Pacioretty, and two second rounders. That would have been competitive with Calgary's offer.

Tough.

Doubt it. Carolina seems to have no interest in UFA Max for 8 years, as well as Weber in his 30's. They are looking to go younger.

I think you need to look at it from the other side which is Hamilton was available and maybe Calgary would of had interest in Max (not Weber). Would you have been gung ho on a Max for Hamilton trade?

I don't doubt for 1 second if Carolina offered Hanafin or Linholm for Max MB would take it. It has been rumored he wants a young NHL player in the deal for Max, which both of those fit.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Well, one person outside the board does... the guy who runs the team.

First of all look at the language, he says he thinks he has the ability to play C. He didn’t come out and say AG will play C. In other quotes he called him centre depth. And they just drafted for organizational need and passed on bpa to get a C.

If AZ thinks he is a C then they will line him up at C to start the year. Maybe camp comes and AG can suddenly win battles down low, is strong in the dot, and shows he can play solid D. Earns a spot at C. Or more likely, he continues to struggle at the things a top 6 C has to do well and they put him on wing where he can be a complimentary player and score a bunch of goals. I know where I’d line him up.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Doubt it. Carolina seems to have no interest in UFA Max for 8 years, as well as Weber in his 30's. They are looking to go younger.

I think you need to look at it from the other side which is Hamilton was available and maybe Calgary would of had interest in Max (not Weber). Would you have been gung ho on a Max for Hamilton trade?

I don't doubt for 1 second if Carolina offered Hanafin or Linholm for Max MB would take it. It has been rumored he wants a young NHL player in the deal for Max, which both of those fit.

Yes but MB would need to add to Max, whereas he probably thinks that the other team needs to add in order to get Max.

Also, if Weber and Pacioretty have no value as you say, why are you so obsessed over the idea of competing with them?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So the guy doesn't go to the bars after the game with the guys, instead enjoys reading a book. I could give less a crap about that stuff. Dougie is a possession monster who generates tons of shots. He will be loved in Carolina quickly.

He's a great young D that 2 organizations traded rather quickly, so I'm going to guess it's more than just he doesn't like bars and prefers museums & reading. I mean if it is only that then that's extraordinarily petty.

But, he's not the first player to have an intellectual side to him.

It definitely is a good trade for Carolina. They weren't interested in paying Lindholm the $5m he wants. Hanifin, although only 21, has not really developed into a quality top 4 yet. With Necas & Svechnikov playing with the organization next year, Lindholm was expendable to improve the D.

Calgary gets a cheaper D and improves their forward core up front. Calgary's prospect strength is on D, so if one of their young guys can step into a top 6, like Rasmus Andersson, they may not be any worse off at that position, while having improved upfront.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Yes but MB would need to add to Max, whereas he probably thinks that the other team needs to add in order to get Max.

Also, if Weber and Pacioretty have no value as you say, why are you so obsessed over the idea of competing with them?

I think both players have value, just not to CAR. I am on the trade Max train so I don't want to compete with him. I would of kept him if JT or ROR were on board to see if he could be deadly with a real C but overall I am ready to let him go.

Weber is a 1D in the league and can help many teams but he has a long contract and a lot of teams don't like big contracts. I think the habs can compete with Weber, but not with the team they have now. But I also don't see the urgency to trade him.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
First of all look at the language, he says he thinks he has the ability to play C. He didn’t come out and say AG will play C. In other quotes he called him centre depth. And they just drafted for organizational need and passed on bpa to get a C.

If AZ thinks he is a C then they will line him up at C to start the year. Maybe camp comes and AG can suddenly win battles down low, is strong in the dot, and shows he can play solid D. Earns a spot at C. Or more likely, he continues to struggle at the things a top 6 C has to do well and they put him on wing where he can be a complimentary player and score a bunch of goals. I know where I’d line him up.
not everyone is obsessed with defensive play you know... not every team and fans expect their four C to be selke candidates...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think both players have value, just not to CAR. I am on the trade Max train so I don't want to compete with him. I would of kept him if JT or ROR were on board to see if he could be deadly with a real C but overall I am ready to let him go.

Weber is a 1D in the league and can help many teams but he has a long contract and a lot of teams don't like big contracts. I think the habs can compete with Weber, but not with the team they have now. But I also don't see the urgency to trade him.

If Weber has no trade value right now than he's not a player worth having. The trade market is the closest thing to objective assessment.

IMO, I suspect that Weber has decent value, and I hope that the Habs trade him. For example, I could see Toronto and Edmonton offering a pair of high draft picks.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
If Weber has no trade value right now than he's not a player worth having. The trade market is the closest thing to objective assessment.

IMO, I suspect that Weber has decent value, and I hope that the Habs trade him. For example, I could see Toronto and Edmonton offering a pair of high draft picks.

I didn't say he has no trade value, I just said his contract wouldn't be very attractive to all teams. But yes EDM or TOR could have an interest. Other teams too, Maybe BUF or FLA if they ever want to stop competing for the basement.

I still think he has value to the habs as our 1D and can help insulate our young D/prospects. Also if the team can turn it around quickly we will ned a Vet like Weber even if its 2 year turnaround. WPG still needed a guy like Bufglying who is older than Weber. Habs don't need the cap space there is no need to trade Weber right now, if the deal comes along then move him.

What are the habs going to do after they draft Hughes next year if they trade Weber? Then the team will be looking for a 1D.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What are the habs going to do after they draft Hughes next year if they trade Weber? Then the team will be looking for a 1D.

The Habs definitely needs two more tanking year, as in one more elite forward, and an elite dman, and a whole lot of darts thrown against the wall (e.g. Romanov) in the hope that something sticks.

Weber will be good for a few more years, but he won't be that good in five years. He will definitely not be a number 1 dman in five years time, so somehow the Habs will have to get another one. Never mind the fact that the Habs cup contention window is at best starting in four or five years, so if it lasts five years they need someone who can be an elite dman in ten years, that obviously won't be Weber.

You do however make a valid point that in the meantime, having Weber can insulate the younger D prospects. If Weber is there, that pushes guys like Juulsen and Mete down to levels where they're more likely to motivate.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The Habs definitely needs two more tanking year, as in one more elite forward, and an elite dman, and a whole lot of darts thrown against the wall (e.g. Romanov) in the hope that something sticks.

Weber will be good for a few more years, but he won't be that good in five years. He will definitely not be a number 1 dman in five years time, so somehow the Habs will have to get another one. Never mind the fact that the Habs cup contention window is at best starting in four or five years, so if it lasts five years they need someone who can be an elite dman in ten years, that obviously won't be Weber.

You do however make a valid point that in the meantime, having Weber can insulate the younger D prospects. If Weber is there, that pushes guys like Juulsen and Mete down to levels where they're more likely to motivate.

They have one really good dman in Weber, one good one in Petry and crap and unknowns elsewhere.

Aside from Jesper, they have zero game breaking blue chip prospects (Poehling is a low end 1C at best, think kesler)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Our incompetent staff had players like Byron and De La Rose ahead of Chucky for center depth. There was no excuse for that, especially when defence was the main argument against Galchenyuk and Drouin was worse in that area as well as in the faceoff circle and it didn’t seem to matter. He got a pass because he was the shiny new Franco toy. Galchenyuk will never be the perfect well rounded center, but he still had enough offensive upside at the position to be playing there with us, especially on a team that was drowning to score goals. Even if it doesn’t work out perfect with Arizona, they will still have him as an option, which we seemed to completely rule out before last season even started. Keeping Galchenyuk away from Pacioretty while Drouin was paired with him with zero chemistry for half the season was one of most brain dead decisions I’ve ever seen.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
He's a great young D that 2 organizations traded rather quickly, so I'm going to guess it's more than just he doesn't like bars and prefers museums & reading. I mean if it is only that then that's extraordinarily petty.

But, he's not the first player to have an intellectual side to him.

It definitely is a good trade for Carolina. They weren't interested in paying Lindholm the $5m he wants. Hanifin, although only 21, has not really developed into a quality top 4 yet. With Necas & Svechnikov playing with the organization next year, Lindholm was expendable to improve the D.

Calgary gets a cheaper D and improves their forward core up front. Calgary's prospect strength is on D, so if one of their young guys can step into a top 6, like Rasmus Andersson, they may not be any worse off at that position, while having improved upfront.

Its was a bad trade for Boston then, and its a bad trade for Calgary now. Maybe there is more to this than presented some drama between teammates but this trade doesn't make Calgary any stronger there had to be a better package available that included a Aho, TT, or Skinner. I would trade pretty much everyone on Calgary except Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk before Hamilton.

Calgary for most of the year was misusing Hamilton so bad he wasn't even on PP1 despite putting up great numbers.

I don't know if it really makes Calgary stronger is Lindholm really that big of a push. Calgary 3M line is probably the best 2nd line in the league maybe he slots in Ferlands spot, but time will tell I understand your reasoning I just think its a big organization mistake by another Canadian franchise.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

5 years gives the team a big window to move Weber. With his injury season I think letting him play is the best option. Of course if a good offer comes go for it. If a team is going to offer a 1st pick I would take it. But without the need for cap space no rush to move. Team had a ton of cap space last year and its looking the same. I would even try and take on players for picks/prospects. Brassard or Brown could be good targets.

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad