Out of Town: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I really would not understand this move. Subban is hands down their best Dman in the POs. Even in the regular season. It's really just haters that need to just bend backwards to downplay PK for some inexplicable reason and pretend like he's a 2nd pairing D. I mean, it's senseless.

They are not going to trade the guy they just traded for, who's their best PO Dman, and could very well win the Norris this year.
Their goalie might win the Vezina too. That plus a dollar will buy you a cheap cup of coffee. Clearly the Preds have figured out that having one of the best goalies and one of the best defensemen in the league didn't get them where they wanted to go this season. So rather than keep doing the same thing over while expecting a different result, they're exploring the possibility of making changes.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Their goalie might win the Vezina too. That plus a dollar will buy you a cheap cup of coffee. Clearly the Preds have figured out that having one of the best goalies and one of the best defensemen in the league didn't get them where they wanted to go this season. So rather than keep doing the same thing over while expecting a different result, they're exploring the possibility of making changes.

Debatable.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

We knew there was a real good chance JT would stay with the Isles. But a short while ago, there were no talks but now the report is they're in daily discussions.

The odds of Tavares resigning in NY are substantially better with Lou than with Snow, IMO. I'd also suggest that Tavares won't even consider the Habs.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Debatable.
It wasn't debatable when they announced the finalists for the Vezina but after the way the playoffs went for him I doubt we'll see Rinne play for Nashville ever again. Perhaps moving on from him prompted Preds management to reevaluate a lot of things, including the possibility of what they might be able to get in return for Subban.

The thing we have to remember is that only the Habs management group is so self-satisfied that they would spike the ball at the 50 yard line and pretend like they've scored a touchdown. Other teams which fall short of winning the Cup ask themselves hard questions and make moves designed to get better, like firing people, trading guys away, acquiring other guys or a combination of all three.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It wasn't debatable when they announced the finalists for the Vezina but after the way the playoffs went for him I doubt we'll see Rinne play for Nashville ever again. Perhaps moving on from him prompted Preds management to reevaluate a lot of things, including the possibility of what they might be able to get in return for Subban.

The thing we have to remember is that only the Habs management group is so self-satisfied that they would spike the ball at the 50 yard line and pretend like they've scored a touchdown. Other teams which fall short of winning the Cup ask themselves hard questions and make moves designed to get better, like firing people, trading guys away, acquiring other guys or a combination of all three.

Absolutely true, and the Nashville Predators are at the extreme end of that. They add Subban and Johansen. They then lose in the Cup finals, and add Hartman, Turris, Bonino, and Emelin. I expect more changes from them, David Poile is a brilliant man and thus he makes the NHL more interesting.

But looking back at that, Poile's style has been to address positions of weakness. He got a top centre, a mobile dman, and after last year he added additional centers and tried to fix the third pair. The issues this year for Nashville were poor goaltending a lack of offensive depth, so I can see those being the targeted areas.

I don't think that Nashville is actively looking to trade Subban. He's a great player for them on a good contract, and also he's great for marketing. He's growing their brand. However, if some other team offers a great package, then he's likely to be traded. For example, the Habs might be able to acquire Subban by offering Weber+ Galchenyuk. Somehow, I don't see that happening.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely true, and the Nashville Predators are at the extreme end of that. They add Subban and Johansen. They then lose in the Cup finals, and add Hartman, Turris, Bonino, and Emelin. I expect more changes from them, David Poile is a brilliant man and thus he makes the NHL more interesting.

But looking back at that, Poile's style has been to address positions of weakness. He got a top centre, a mobile dman, and after last year he added additional centers and tried to fix the third pair. The issues this year for Nashville were poor goaltending a lack of offensive depth, so I can see those being the targeted areas.

I don't think that Nashville is actively looking to trade Subban. He's a great player for them on a good contract, and also he's great for marketing. He's growing their brand. However, if some other team offers a great package, then he's likely to be traded. For example, the Habs might be able to acquire Subban by offering Weber+ Galchenyuk. Somehow, I don't see that happening.
Subban does not have a good contract....and Poile is not a brilliant man....ZERO cups in 35 years say's so.

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
True but since unification only a couple of the players have been born in the former East Germany. In this WC team I believe only Toni Kroos is from the former East Germany.

Btw, sportsnet yesterday was an orgy of Leafs fans posting about the Marlies. How many games do you think if any, would the Marlies win if they played in the NHL?
I remember Habs fans doing the same thing when Price led the Bulldogs to the Calder Cup final. We all thought it boded well for the future. Now that future is all behind us and we have sweet F. A. to show for it.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Totally understandable Poile is looking to move PK. I think his cap hit is almost as much as Josi, Ekholm and Ellis combined. Those 3 are going nowhere because they are on sweet deals. Trading Pernell is their best option to get good return and gain cap space to improve offense.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Totally understandable Poile is looking to move PK. I think his cap hit is almost as much as Josi, Ekholm and Ellis combined. Those 3 are going nowhere because they are on sweet deals. Trading Pernell is their best option to get good return and gain cap space to improve offense.

Without Subban their defensive game isn't a shadow of what it is now. It's a horrible move for Nashville to make. Josi is not a great defender and Ellis is below average. Ekholm is a good defender.

Trading the former Norris winner and twice more finalist (so far) who's not yet even 30 makes absolutely no sense to me. Ellis is the odd man out in that top 4.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Without Subban their defensive game isn't a shadow of what it is now. It's a horrible move for Nashville to make. Josi is not a great defender and Ellis is below average. Ekholm is a good defender.

Trading the former Norris winner and twice more finalist (so far) who's not yet even 30 makes absolutely no sense to me. Ellis is the odd man out in that top 4.
They need much more help up front than at the back. If they get a good offer for PK it's a no brainer they will trade him and improve the team.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Really ?

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
That Nashville defense would not skip a beat by replacing Subban with a cheaper defenseman that is a true defender to play with either Josi or Ellis. They would still have 2 pmd and 2 good defenders on both pairs. With money saved they should invest in forwards because as they are set-up they are not getting through that western conference. Their defense was not very good against Avs and really struggled against big Jets forwards. They seem a little overrated to me.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
They need much more help up front than at the back. If they get a good offer for PK it's a no brainer they will trade him and improve the team.

Tolvanen will likely be on the team next year and they have other skilled forward prospects. If they lose Subban the defence is much worse than the offence. Plus its not a fact that Subban is being shopped. It's an unconfirmed rumour, and Poile has denied it.

Subban is the anchor of a great two-way D corps. You value him like a middle of the road player.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Josi sure is overated in his zone. Ellis never has been anything special defensively either.
They don't need to be special in their zone, they are primarily pmd defensemen, they just need to play with solid defenders that can handle physical forwards that press.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Wow their defense must actually be terrible then. Subban isn't that great defensively.
None of them really excel in their own end, we all saw how much they struggled to contain the Jets forwards. I think I would rank Ekholm the best defensively on that team. He seems to be the best at containing forwards 1 on 1 because of his size and reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad