Out of Town: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

We knew there was a real good chance JT would stay with the Isles. But a short while ago, there were no talks but now the report is they're in daily discussions.

Reactions: groovejuice

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We knew there was a real good chance JT would stay with the Isles. But a short while ago, there were no talks but now the report is they're in daily discussions.

What has changed though? They couldn't of been playing hard ball with him on $? I'll believe it when I see it cause Lou needs to improve that back end before Tavares re-signs.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
FWIW, my co-workers in Nashville say there is nothing to this. It’s been brought up (trades), but so has the names Rinne, RyJo, Turris, etc. I asked them point blank on one of our team meeting calls on Tuesday, so it’s recent.

Like the rest of us, they are just fans though so Poile might very well be cooking something.

Maybe not this year, but Nashville will have to make some moves real soon as Ellis' contract is up next season and Josi's the year after that. Depending what Ellis gets would have an effect on Josi's negotiations. And at some point, they won't be able to afford all four at the same time, even with the cap going up.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What has changed though? They couldn't of been playing hard ball with him on $? I'll believe it when I see it cause Lou needs to improve that back end before Tavares re-signs.

On the surface, what's changed is it's no longer Garth Snow that runs the show. And that could have been what made JT not want to re-sign there. Or that maybe Lou has come in and has been more aggressive in communicating with JT than Snow was, who may have been a tad bit more passive.

Lou definitely has to fix up the defense and goaltending. But he may have a plan in place that he's currently selling JT on.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Management changed. It amazes me that the Islanders allowed Tavares to float in limbo up until now. Sign him already and let the rest of us stop fantasizing about pipe-dreams.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On the surface, what's changed is it's no longer Garth Snow that runs the show. And that could have been what made JT not want to re-sign there. Or that maybe Lou has come in and has been more aggressive in communicating with JT than Snow was, who may have been a tad bit more passive.

Lou definitely has to fix up the defense and goaltending. But he may have a plan in place that he's currently selling JT on.

I agree Lou is likely more aggressive but I think all that is happening right now is discussions. Maybe Lou is asking Tavares and his agent who they could trade for or sign where they would be contenders. Islanders should dangle the 11/12 picks for Karlsson. Maybe this is what is happening in the negotiations?

I just can't see $ being the hurdle... unless Tavares is asking for $12M+ and this prevents the Islanders from making the moves they want to make.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Management changed. It amazes me that the Islanders allowed Tavares to float in limbo up until now. Sign him already and let the rest of us stop fantasizing about pipe-dreams.

But we have to assume the previous management offered him a solid contract right? Does Tavares have more faith in Lou turning this team around more? And this is the reason why he would re-sign prior to seeing the improvements after July 1st?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Tavares stays in Long Island
Stastny stays in Winnipeg takes a little less money
Plekanec comes back to Montreal and Bergevin comes out with a shit load of pathetic excuses!!!!!! On a Drouin au centre qui a progresser durant les 15 derniers match qui n'avait aucune importance ......

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
But we have to assume the previous management offered him a solid contract right? Does Tavares have more faith in Lou turning this team around more? And this is the reason why he would re-sign prior to seeing the improvements after July 1st?
Who the hell knows. Possible that Garth Snow wanted to head in another direction altogether, or Snow made him an offer but Tavares wasn't interested in his vision for the team. Whatever the case, I'd guess ownership saw an incompatible link between the previous GM and coach and keeping the team's franchise player. They chose the player over management.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Lou the wheeler and dealer working his act. Probably told JT they'd be replacing the display car in the stands with a Bentley.

Whatever it is he's promising, it has to be a lot. It wouldn't be out of the norm to see him sign there -- wouldn't be the first time that a high level potential UFA decided to stay where he was.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I'm not surprised that Tavares is looking to re-sign with the Islanders. I just feel bad for people that were expecting Dahlin and Tavares when the season ended.

There's this kid by the name of Jack Hughes, heard he's not too shabby. If only we would get lucky.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Lou the wheeler and dealer working his act. Probably told JT they'd be replacing the display car in the stands with a Bentley.

Whatever it is he's promising, it has to be a lot. It wouldn't be out of the norm to see him sign there -- wouldn't be the first time that a high level potential UFA decided to stay where he was.

I legit laughed on the changing the car on the display part.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
IF you thought Tavares was coming here, you were delusional

I don't know any Habs fan that thought Tavares was coming to Montreal for sure. It was more like keeping the door open and imagining what he could do for our team if we could sign him. Why bother even make the post you just made? It's bordering flaming.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
I don't know any Habs fan that thought Tavares was coming to Montreal for sure. It was more like keeping the door open and imagining what he could do for our team if we could sign him. Why bother even make the post you just made? It's bordering flaming.
There has been more than one post were Tavares (and Dahlin for that matter) was penciled into the lineup because "we have the cap space, he gets to play with Price and Weber!!1!11".

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There has been more than one post were Tavares (and Dahlin for that matter) was penciled into the lineup because "we have the cap space, he gets to play with Price and Weber!!1!11".

It was a hypothetical line-up and how it would look if we could magically pull it off... Not what people thought would happen for sure. Attacking them on this is hate.

Reactions: DAChampion

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I hope the NHL has another Stanley Cup because I don't think Ovie is ever giving it back at the rate that he's going. :laugh:

Also, how long until we have to have an intervention for him? :sarcasm:

The Stanley Cup time is over, now it's time to create a new Trophy for the playoffs winner

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Tavares stays in Long Island
Stastny stays in Winnipeg takes a little less money
Plekanec comes back to Montreal and Bergevin comes out with a **** load of pathetic excuses!!!!!! On a Drouin au centre qui a progresser durant les 15 derniers match qui n'avait aucune importance ......

lol ..call me crazy but i would take a punt on Yakupov...if Habs are looking for speed ..he got it ,,...Yes first round bust ok.....but i really would like to give him a shot for a league minimum deal....

Reactions: Laurentide

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
FWIW, my co-workers in Nashville say there is nothing to this. It’s been brought up (trades), but so has the names Rinne, RyJo, Turris, etc. I asked them point blank on one of our team meeting calls on Tuesday, so it’s recent.

Like the rest of us, they are just fans though so Poile might very well be cooking something.
I really would not understand this move. Subban is hands down their best Dman in the POs. Even in the regular season. It's really just haters that need to just bend backwards to downplay PK for some inexplicable reason and pretend like he's a 2nd pairing D. I mean, it's senseless.

They are not going to trade the guy they just traded for, who's their best PO Dman, and could very well win the Norris this year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You understand how important and impactful change in management can be?
If you just don't believe in your boss, see the business headed in the wrong direction conflicting with your own personal career objectives, well then you may start to seriously consider moving organizations.
But just as you are doing that, there is a complete change in management. So all your disagreements are gone and now you want to find out what are the plans, vision and objectives of this new leader.

Let's see what happens.

Reactions: Zam Boni

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Sweet Lou always had a way of getting guys to sign team friendly deals with the Devils. Don't underestimate his negociation skills. Few GMs have his ''aura'' and cup winning history, those can be powerful tools at the bargaining table.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If the Islanders want to prove to Tavares they are serious then trading for Pacioretty and/or Weber would be perfect for us.

Reactions: Andrei79

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
LOL ... but one never knows, anything can happen in a World Cup game. They are all good teams just to get there. :)

Oh ... wait ... in 1958, it was only West Germany, half of Germany playing then. In 1974 East Germany even played against West Germany. Now it's the full reunited country and better together. :D

True but since unification only a couple of the players have been born in the former East Germany. In this WC team I believe only Toni Kroos is from the former East Germany.

Btw, sportsnet yesterday was an orgy of Leafs fans posting about the Marlies. How many games do you think if any, would the Marlies win if they played in the NHL?

Reactions: NovaLeaf

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Very true and it was mostly the pro Bergevin crowd that made it appear that he only saved the cap space for a big fish like JT because he's just that smart.

Reactions: Peanut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->