GDT: Out of Town NHL Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Gotta be honest, don't think Emelin should be suspended. A little reckless, but it looked like Spezza was going to take the puck and skate forward, but he did the little half turn at the last second.

A 5 minute major seems like a fair enough punishment for probably not being careful enough.

He still put stick on him causing injury.Its a crosscheck.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Kassian is an idiot.

Yeah, they didn't call the first one, but they will call the retaliation. They obviously will, that was just completely blatant. They should have called the elbow, which was the catalyst I guess, but that doesn't excuse what he did.

If you think Marchand and Lucic take stupid penalties, he takes 10x more while being 10x worse. I don't get the obsession with him. He's ****ing awful. He stepped up for his teammate, great, but he hurts them even more in the game. He would be the whipping boy within 5 minutes.

I was not saying it was the smartest time to do it, just that there was a little more of an explanation than "frustration" from a missed scoring chance. can't believe the announcers didn't put two and two together (and we rail about jack :laugh:).

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Gotta be honest, don't think Emelin should be suspended. A little reckless, but it looked like Spezza was going to take the puck and skate forward, but he did the little half turn at the last second.

A 5 minute major seems like a fair enough punishment for probably not being careful enough.

Yep. Hard to put much blame on Emelin for that hit.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Meh ... didn't think it warranted anything.

Theres pictures showing Spezza on knee n Emelin with stick right across his back..Hitting a guy on numbers is not the guy who turns fault.Emelin smoked Gionta this year with 100% headshot and nothing either. The NHL plays what jersey you wear trivia or name on it before they decide if anything warranted.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Theres pictures showing Spezza on knee n Emelin with stick right across his back..Hitting a guy on numbers is not the guy who turns fault.Emelin smoked Gionta this year with 100% headshot and nothing either.NHL plays what jersey you wear before we decide.

There were also pictures "showing" Z guiding Pacioretty's head into a stanchion.

The contact looked awfully light and Spezza turned. Penalty, sure, but I'm not even convinced 5+game was warranted let alone a suspension. Emelin's done far worse things IMO.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
There were also pictures "showing" Z guiding Pacioretty's head into a stanchion.

The contact looked awfully light and Spezza turned. Penalty, sure, but I'm not even convinced 5+game was warranted let alone a suspension. Emelin's done far worse things IMO.

Agreed on all fronts. Spezza turned, wasn't that aggressive a cross-check....meh.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
So a guy turns and gets smoked in the back and it his fault.Busted nose whole works and the player that CROSSCHECKED him nothing.No fine nothing.He put the stick on him not the body remember.And here is the laughable part.Cal Clutterbuck gets fine for diving in NHL same day..hahaha

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
I agree with you and EM for the most part. Spezza took a weird route to the puck then turned at the last minute, but that hasn't stopped the league before. If that was another player, (cough Lucic cough), they would have gotten some games.

I think 5 minutes was enough, but I also don't see why a player should be criticized for turning against the flow of the play...happens often when the other lane is clogged up...:dunno:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I think 5 minutes was enough, but I also don't see why a player should be criticized for turning against the flow of the play...happens often when the other lane is clogged up...:dunno:

I don't think it needs to be criticized, but it needs to be taken into account when evaluating the play.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I be fine he used body but pictures and video clearly show he put stick on him.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
I don't think it needs to be criticized, but it needs to be taken into account when evaluating the play.

But players have been criticized for making that move even tho it was the right play to reverse the flow

It's a tough call for a ref to make

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not criticizing Spezza. Didn't think he was turning away from the hit, just turning. Sometimes guys see a hit coming and turn. That's on them. Sometimes you are just making a hockey play and something bad happens, like in this case.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
wish ovechkin would get traded. he isn't going to win in washington.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Nice to see Downie get bloodied in a fight. Little puke has been doing his typical slashing, interfering, and chirping all game. Caps are playing a really solid game in all three zones tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad