OT: Out of Town Hockey Reports thread - MOD ALERT POST 778 - NO PATRICK KANE TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
The benefit of the doubt has to end somewhere. Sure, Torres might just be a misunderstood Orpik type player who regularly goes for big, borderline hits, and it's just that he more often than not happens to cross that border. That's a possibility. There's also a possibility that Bertrand Russell's teapot exists, it's just not very likely. A public figure who repeatedly endangers other people's lives (especially in light of all the recent attention given to former concussion victims' struggles and tragic deaths) can't expect not to be called out on it. He has to just shut it out.

I wonder how many death threats have been directed towards Justin Bieber, and unless his spit directed at fans was heavy as ****, I haven't seen him actively endanger anyone, with the possible exception being his drag-racing (few of the death threats were caused by that incident, I'm fairly certain).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I'm not a fan of Torres, but some of the media and personal comments people have written about him are over the line. Imagine if you woke up one day on Yahoo news with people saying how much they hate you, what a pile of **** you are, and cheering your job suspension.

I think it's over the line the way people talk about Torres. The vast majority of people don't know him. I guess what I want to say is, you can dislike the way he has played the game (and I do), but you won't find me on the Internet typing pages of hate.

Or you could imagine being unconscious on ice and waking up to be loaded into ambulance and rushed to hospital with your health/career in jeopardy while your family/friends rush to hospital

In that scenario you would be Marian Hossa or countless other victims

Raffi Torres like Matt Cooke has no place in game and his disregard for safety of his fellow players is a blight on league

jdz

May 22, 2013
Its just as much the fault of the clubs that continue to give these guys a deal and the coaches that continue to give these guys minutes.

Its a poor reflection on your club when one of your players does something like that.

Its not like John Scott, Torres, or Cooke are going to give your team a consistent point output.

Pretty much my fear with Rinaldo unfortunately.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm not a fan of Torres, but some of the media and personal comments people have written about him are over the line. Imagine if you woke up one day on Yahoo news with people saying how much they hate you, what a pile of **** you are, and cheering your job suspension.

I think it's over the line the way people talk about Torres. The vast majority of people don't know him. I guess what I want to say is, you can dislike the way he has played the game (and I do), but you won't find me on the Internet typing pages of hate.

Torres in his formative years was taught by some coach to play that way and now it is instinct.

There is a very successful college hockey coach in New England that has taught players how to play dirty and it carries over.

My high school coach in 1968 wound up coaching the Whaler's briefly in the 80's but he instilled discipline in me I still carry today.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Its just as much the fault of the clubs that continue to give these guys a deal and the coaches that continue to give these guys minutes.

Its a poor reflection on your club when one of your players does something like that.

Its not like John Scott, Torres, or Cooke are going to give your team a consistent point output.

Pretty much my fear with Rinaldo unfortunately.

I don't see him in that class yet. I may sound a little biased (of course I am a little) but his rep isn't as bad as that, and I feel Boston can tame him. Not only that, I don't think any club would want him, so if he ****s up in Boston, hes out for good. I think people will see a different side to him this year. Ive heard from some that his 'offence' that is all but non existent will be the surprise.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Torres in his formative years was taught by some coach to play that way and now it is instinct.

There is a very successful college hockey coach in New England that has taught players how to play dirty and it carries over.

My high school coach in 1968 wound up coaching the Whaler's briefly in the 80's but he instilled discipline in me I still carry today.

This is partially true. I was coached in my early years by my brother, who was as dirty a player who ever lived (led the NEJHL in points for a defenseman and PIMS over two seasons). Dirty stuff (hacking, slashing, slew-footing, face washing) is one thing, hitting is another. I know for my entire career, each time I had a guy lined up to hit (and I liked to hit) I had a choice: Blow through him shoulder to chest, go low and get him ass over tea kettle, or knock his ****ing head off. If you have him lined up, like Torres did, that choice is always there, and Torres chose to knock his ****ing head off. Now if you don't have him lined up and miss the guy, instinct can cause you to stick out a leg or throw an elbow. But once you have him and he can't avoid the hit, you have a choice, and Torres seems to choose the headshot every time. That's on him, regardless of what he was taught.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Problem with Torres is he continually goes for blindside predatory and situational hits. He tries to catch players in vunerable positions. I am sure they have explained that time and time again to him. He just doesn't get it. So they needed to whack him for it

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Problem with Torres is he continually goes for blindside predatory and situational hits. He tries to catch players in vunerable positions. I am sure they have explained that time and time again to him. He just doesn't get it. So they needed to whack him for it

Exactly. There's a way to hit someone blindside where you separate him from the puck and get the "WOW!" factor from the crowd, but you don't hit the head or knees. See Ference leveling Steve Ott in the Dallas brawl game, or anytime Johnny Boychuk catches a guy after a suicide pass. Those are textbook cases of great hits that the puck carrier didn't see coming, hits that could have been predatory, but the hitter makes the decision to hit clean. Torres and Cooke would have hit the head instead of the body, and that's why they are predators who should not have a job in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg