OT: Out of Town Hockey Reports thread - MOD ALERT POST 778 - NO PATRICK KANE TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Torres deserves all 41 of those games and more.

We could honestly be looking at him being suspended a full season the next offense, which I'm sure most of us would agree will happen again.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
They should have just banned him. 41 games won't change him. He's a predator plain and simple.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
They should have just banned him. 41 games won't change him. He's a predator plain and simple.

IMO he's done in the NHL anyway. He's too heavy a burden for any team if that's the standard the department of player safety has set for his suspensions. That's probably 5 games for the hit and 36 for being Raffi Torres. Not that I'm sorry for the guy or anything, mind you.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
"Although he is not defined as a 'repeat offender' under the terms of the CBA," followed by a laundry list of dangerous hits and suspensions.

Maybe it's time to redefine 'repeat offender' in the CBA?

How many freaking times does it have to be explained??!! "Repeat offender" status, as narrowly defined by the CBA, is only used to assess loss of pay and fines, and means nothing outside of assessment of loss of pay and fines. Any and all infractions throughout a player's entire career can and are used to assess suspensions.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
"Although he is not defined as a 'repeat offender' under the terms of the CBA," followed by a laundry list of dangerous hits and suspensions.

Maybe it's time to redefine 'repeat offender' in the CBA?

"Repeat Offender" is defined as having been given Supplemental Discipline in the last 18 months. But as jgatie says, it's only for determining loss of pay. For purposes of determining suspensions and other Supplemental Discipline, all previous history is fair game for review and consideration.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
IMO he's done in the NHL anyway. He's too heavy a burden for any team if that's the standard the department of player safety has set for his suspensions. That's probably 5 games for the hit and 36 for being Raffi Torres. Not that I'm sorry for the guy or anything, mind you.

One would hope so, but everyone on NHLN I've heard speaking about this sounds apologetic about it.
"Oh, I'm sure he didn't mean it"
"He feels awful"
"The play got away from him"
etc.

I mean, the guy was charging, at speed, through a crowd, directly at Silferberg and gave him a forearm to the head. That takes enough effort that you can't make excuses for it. And one would assume that he was already aware that he's Raffi Torres, and that there would be repercussions.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

My friend is trying to debate with me that Milan Lucic is worse than Raffi Torres when it comes to dirtiness. I guess to him spearing in the nuts twice is worse than targeting players with head shots multiple times.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
What happened ? Did that car accident story escalate or did he beat up somebody while in hospital or something ? From what I've read he wasn't even driving :help:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
"Repeat Offender" is defined as having been given Supplemental Discipline in the last 18 months. But as jgatie says, it's only for determining loss of pay. For purposes of determining suspensions and other Supplemental Discipline, all previous history is fair game for review and consideration.

I understand that, it just sounds ridiculous to say he's not a repeat offender and then rattle off a half dozen or so of his previous violations.

I wonder if Benning knew something others did not when he swapped Kassian for Prust? He took some heat for that at the time, but it looks OK now.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I understand that, it just sounds ridiculous to say he's not a repeat offender and then rattle off a half dozen or so of his previous violations.

I wonder if Benning knew something others did not when he swapped Kassian for Prust? He took some heat for that at the time, but it looks OK now.

I can't imagine a drug addict going under the radar for any length of time given the amount of time players, coaches and staff spend in close proximity to each other. Signs were probably there but no smoking gun to enforce action. I could see a GM taking action to trade a player in this case if possible.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
That should be a 41 game suspension.

That's as bad as it gets. He chargers him from the blindside, from across the ice, with no intent to play the puck, and intentionally and maliciously targets the head for the purpose of injuring.

I'm worried about the league penalizing clean hits with unfortunate results, but that's literally as bad as it gets. When there is no question as to intent and the intent is to destroy with an illegal head check don't fool around.

What a ****ing disgrace.

I for one also saw things as you did Mike and was wishing that the league would suspend him fully for the entire year let alone 41 games.
In all honesty, Torres is a player that should be on a NHL list that if he pulls off one more vicious hit like he just demonstrated, he should be automatically expelled from the NHL league permanently.
I hope the team organization decide to go ways with him
Wishing Torres no more hockey in the NHL.

Matt Cooke is another player that would fall on that list.

These are the type of individuals that do not merit the title NHL player.
They are far from being anything other than thugs and malicious people on skates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad