Out of the Loop: Why is Everywhere Talking like Andersen is Going?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Maybe they work out a contract before making the trade?

He might not be an upgrade, offhand I'd say that a gamble is a more accurate description. But Andersen only has one year left and if they've decided to move on from him, this sort of gamble might make some sense. If they move Andersen and shed cap at the same time, my guess is that anything they do would be a gamble anyway so in that context it makes some sense.
Just can't see a guy with arb rights throwing his leverage at a payday away. But stranger things have happened I suppose.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just can't see a guy with arb rights throwing his leverage at a payday away. But stranger things have happened I suppose.

I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to goalie contracts so TBH, not sure what he could expect. Surely not more than Andersen though? Would something like 3 years at 5 million be reasonable and something both sides might agree on?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to goalie contracts so TBH, not sure what he could expect. Surely not more than Andersen though? Would something like 3 years at 5 million be reasonable and something both sides might agree on?
Not sure TBH either. He's won 2 cups, but Andersen has outperformed him rather significantly since his last cup in 2017. That's a contract I couldn't even begin to predict.

I was thinking the main reason the Leafs would move Andersen (other than the obvious UFA angle) is to run a cheaper tandem setup with Campbell, and devote more cap to the D.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not sure TBH either. He's won 2 cups, but Andersen has outperformed him rather significantly since his last cup in 2017. That's a contract I couldn't even begin to predict.

I was thinking the main reason the Leafs would move Andersen (other than the obvious UFA angle) is to run a cheaper tandem setup with Campbell, and devote more cap to the D.

I don't see how they're going to save much on cap unless they go with a huge mega gamble in net and I don't see them doing that myself. Murray would be a gamble but one that has a decent chance of paying off at least so it makes some sense to me, I guess we'll see. I do like the idea of moving on from Andersen, we have to do so soon anyway so may as well get ahead of the game I guess.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't see how they're going to save much on cap unless they go with a huge mega gamble in net and I don't see them doing that myself. Murray would be a gamble but one that has a decent chance of paying off at least so it makes some sense to me, I guess we'll see. I do like the idea of moving on from Andersen, we have to do so soon anyway so may as well get ahead of the game I guess.

Dubas must have a plan. Do not forget, he is playing chess while the rest of the hockey world are playing checkers.

Reactions: ACC1224

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's going to be interesting to see if the Leafs gamble on someone like Georgiev or Thatcher Demko. Cheaper, big upside........but not proven. Both of those teams will need to move a goalie or lose one to Seattle for nothing.

I feel like at this point Murray is a rather large gamble too, given his spotty play and rather extensive injury history - including multiple concussions.

I have no clue which way the Leafs are leaning. lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's going to be interesting to see if the Leafs gamble on someone like Georgiev or Thatcher Demko. Cheaper, big upside........but not proven. Both of those teams will need to move a goalie or lose one to Seattle for nothing.

I feel like at this point Murray is a rather large gamble too, given his spotty play and rather extensive injury history - including multiple concussions.

Neither do I but the Seattle factor definitely works in our favour so that's good. I think it's also an argument for doing something this off season while there are still options to choose from.

He’s way past chess. Only he and about 3 members here actually have the capacity to see what he’s doing.

I think he's playing Fischer random chess (now called Chess960 I believe).

I'm trying to think of who the 3rd member could be. ;)

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Demko may just have made Markstrom expendable in Vancouver. Canucks can sign a cheaper UFA goalie to backup Demko. Too much smoke around Murray and the Leafs and Andy to the Canes. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Reactions: kb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Murray seems to fit Dubas' MO, but seems like a bad choice.

I don't see Vancouver letting Demko go. It's a gamble, but I see them moving on from Markstrom.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Demko makes Markstrom expendable, is Markstrom an upgrade on Andy and can you get him at less than Andy's cap hit? Thinking no which makes Dubas' strategy to trading and upgrading Andy at a lower cap hit puzzling.

Reactions: qqaz

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If Demko makes Markstrom expendable, is Markstrom an upgrade on Andy and can you get him at less than Andy's cap hit? Thinking no which makes Dubas' strategy to trading and upgrading Andy at a lower cap hit puzzling.

Do we even know that this is his strategy or is it all idle speculation?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't see Murray being an upgrade, nor do I see him being less expensive than Andersen. And I really can't see the Leafs trading for an unknown cap hit when they are trying to shed cap. If they trade for him and he get's north of $5 million, the Leafs will have little choice but to walk away.

It's only Dreger throwing poop at the wall again.

There's an OHL connection with Dubas and Murray, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it happens.

Murray may or may not be a clear upgrade over Andersen, but he is a few years younger, has posted similar career numbers, and has 2 Stanley Cup rings. He is battle tested in the playoffs.

This past season was the worst of his career, but in the big picture, it looks like an outlier. I would definitely take a chance on him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Because Dubas uses his loyal mouthpiece in the media to disseminate the idea into the ether, then we mere mortals find ourselves discussing it and most importantly normalizing the idea. Within a few weeks, sometimes months, there's no shock about the player departing because it has already been planted into our impressionable cranial neural jelly during which time the rationalizing circuits have been working overtime giving us reasons to like the idea. "I'm not that impressionable" you say. Think again, WE can make you say anything, it's proven, it's a given. You will think exactly as WE told you to think. Now get back in line, put on your smiley face muzzle and like it. You will no longer call him "Freddy". It will be an act of genius when the goalie is traded.
wtaf

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There's an OHL connection with Dubas and Murray, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it happens.

Murray may or may not be a clear upgrade over Andersen, but he is a few years younger, has posted similar career numbers, and has 2 Stanley Cup rings. He is battle tested in the playoffs.

This past season was the worst of his career, but in the big picture, it looks like an outlier. I would definitely take a chance on him.
His lengthy injury history concerns me, and he's been .907, .919, and .899 the past 3 seasons behind a better defensive team. Andersen is .918, .917, and .909 over those same 3 seasons, and the Leafs are looking to move on from him.

I don't see it, connections or not. He's simply not an upgrade as it stands today.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Dubas must have a plan. Do not forget, he is playing chess while the rest of the hockey world are playing checkers.

We plebs are too dull-witted to realize the brilliance of capturing a couple of pawns in Kerfoot and Barrie for a knight and a pawn.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
His lengthy injury history concerns me, and he's been .907, .919, and .899 the past 3 seasons behind a better defensive team. Andersen is .918, .917, and .909 over those same 3 seasons, and the Leafs are looking to move on from him.

I don't see it, connections or not. He's simply not an upgrade as it stands today.
He understands what it takes to win a Cup. He proved it. Lots of people think he should have won Conn Smythe his first win. He knows how to grind out wins with 10 beller saves all da time until da Cup is raised. We are missing that element.

No one really cares about da regular season as long as you get to playoffs. Regular season is for contracts. Playoffs are for Cups/legacy.

To me rather have a cheaper regular season guy who plays when it counts.

Freddy can take his regular season stats somewhere else. He is 0-8.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He understands what it takes to win a Cup. He proved it. Lots of people think he should have won Conn Smythe his first win. He knows how to grind out wins with 10 beller saves all da time until da Cup is raised. We are missing that element.

No one really cares about da regular season as long as you get to playoffs. Regular season is for contracts. Playoffs are for Cups/legacy.

To me rather have a cheaper regular season guy who plays when it counts.

Freddy can take his regular season stats somewhere else. He is 0-8.
For a guy who is a winner, in addition to his below average regular season stats, he's 7-12 in the last 3 playoffs. Freddy is 8-10 in the last 3 playoffs.

It's been years since he was any good, and he's not the same goalie anymore after all his injuries.

And if he doesn't play better than he has recently in the regular season, he won't be in the playoffs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
For a guy who is a winner, in addition to his below average regular season stats, he's 7-12 in the last 3 playoffs. Freddy is 8-10 in the last 3 playoffs.

It's been years since he was any good, and he's not the same goalie anymore after all his injuries.

And if he doesn't play better than he has recently in the regular season, he won't be in the playoffs.
Well if he is badly hurt than yes totally agree stay away. I did not realize he was in bad shape.

Reactions: kb

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Murray would be a clear downgrade over Freddie. The injuries he's battled with over the past couple seasons have reduced his effectiveness, and his rebound control, particularly with his glove hand, is Reimer level. He also prone to getting shell-shocked and this most recent season calls into question his ability to compete when there's a hungry, talented backup biting at the chance to play. With Campbell being an equally hungry, possibly as talented backup, I'd be worried about Murray's ability to thrive in this market. It's also saying something when all of the Pittsburgh fans want to keep Jarry and ship off Murray this offseason.

Fred's given us a chance to compete every single year he's been here and has been an absolute workhorse behind a bad defensive team while only having a capable back-up for 1 year. It seems like people are still judging him for the goal in game 1 and the second goal in game 5. Two shots on net should not define a goalie's legacy over the past 4 years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Murray would be a clear downgrade over Freddie. The injuries he's battled with over the past couple seasons have reduced his effectiveness, and his rebound control, particularly with his glove hand, is Reimer level. He also prone to getting shell-shocked and this most recent season calls into question his ability to compete when there's a hungry, talented backup biting at the chance to play. With Campbell being an equally hungry, possibly as talented backup, I'd be worried about Murray's ability to thrive.

Fred's given us a chance to compete every single year he's been here and has been an absolute workhorse behind a bad defensive team while only having a capable back-up for 1 year. It seems like people are still judging him for the goal in game 1 and the second goal in game 5. Two shots on net should not define a goalie's legacy over the past 4 years.
0-8 when it counts. It was not just da house league goals you mentioned above when games were on da line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad