Speculation: Our Lineup for Game 1 of the Playoffs?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think Engvall's for sure sitting and then one of Spezza/Thornton will as well. I also have afeeling it won't be Dermott on the third pair and that it will be either Hutton or Sandin(Hutton was the top PK guy amongst Defencemen in Anahiem)

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Nash-Hyman
Thornton/Spezza-Kerfoot-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin/Hutton-Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen
Rittich

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Opening night will be like this

Galchenyuk - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev or Engvall
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

They have no balls to sit Thornton on the playoff-opening night. Maybe they will sit Thornton after Leafs lose a game.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Lots of time to experiment still but right now I'd lean:

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Robertson-Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogo

Campbell
Andersen/Rittich

I love it, I’m just not sold on Gally on the 1st line.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Opening night will be like this

Galchenyuk - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev or Engvall
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

They have no balls to sit Thornton on the playoff-opening night. Maybe they will sit Thornton after Leafs lose a game.
Pretty sure Riley Nash will be available come game 1. He's a very strong defensive forward. If Thornton plays with the fire he did last night though, it'll be hard to keep him out of the lineup. He brings a lot of fire and passion when he's engaged like that.

Kerfoot is a guy who has skill, but hasn't really established a role for himself on the team. I could see him being the odd man out and rotating in and out of the lineup.

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Galchenyuk-Nash-Mikheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Thornton-Spezza-Engvall (Nash replaces Engvall but at center, Spezza to RW, if he can get a few games in before the playoffs)

The Matthews line is the most important one, so adding Hyman arguably is the most dangerous combination for opposing teams. Simmonds truculence really needs to be in the top 9 to be effective and with Foligno, gives their middle 6 some real bite.

I benched Galchenyuk - as much as I want him to succeed and like his game overall (hustles, great vision, speedy, not selfish with the puck almost to a fault), he already looks to be fading. In his past 5 games, 1 goal, -8, averaging under 2 shots per game, and yet his ice time has been increasing. Clearly, he has to produce to justify sticking in the top 6 as he's not suited for a checking line, and I get the impression he won't thrive on 4th line minutes either.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Thornton-Spezza-Engvall (Nash replaces Engvall but at center, Spezza to RW, if he can get a few games in before the playoffs)

The Matthews line is the most important one, so adding Hyman arguably is the most dangerous combination for opposing teams. Simmonds truculence really needs to be in the top 9 to be effective and with Foligno, gives their middle 6 some real bite.

I benched Galchenyuk - as much as I want him to succeed and like his game overall (hustles, great vision, speedy, not selfish with the puck almost to a fault), he already looks to be fading. In his past 5 games, 1 goal, -8, averaging under 2 shots per game, and yet his ice time has been increasing. Clearly, he has to produce to justify sticking in the top 6 as he's not suited for a checking line, and I get the impression he won't thrive on 4th line minutes either.

Looks solid and I'm with you on Gally

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm assuming Bogosian will be injured until later in the playoffs.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Foligno - Simmonds
Spezza - Kerfoot - Thornton

Extras: Nash, Brooks, Engvall

Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Dermott

Extras: Liljegren, Hutton, Marincin

Injured: Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen

Extras: Rittich, Hutchinson

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander

This looks solid, I wonder if Brooks challenges Engvall for 4th line center, & if Nash & Kerfoot swap once he's in the lineup. I'm most interested to see what the makeup of the 3rd defensive line will be once everyone is healthy because they'll finally have the depth to put whoever it is they want there (& also Jumbo, Spezza & Simmonds are all likely in the lineup, but likely not all on the same 4th line, meaning Simmonds would probably be the guy who's up in the lineup).

Like that your top 2 lines are loaded up as they should be.

Reactions: kevsh

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

Interesting read on Galchenyuk above by kevsh, I think he helps that line, with his forcheck, speed and has the skill to keep up with those guys, but those numbers do stick out a bit. If it doesnt improve, you have guys like Hyman that re better suited there. Nash is going to be fresh of of IR so I don't know how he jumps in there unless there is an injury. Joe is the obvious choice, but if Galchenyiuk indeed fades that will open up a spot shifting people around.

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot--Simmonds
Thornton-Nash-Spezza-

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Thornton-Nash-Spezza
Galchenyuk/Brooks/Engvall

Have a feeling Galchenyuk drops out of the lineup. 0 points and a -6 in his last 4 games and played just 11 minutes last night. Doesn't PK like Mikheyev does.

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian
Sandin/Hutton/Liljegren

Sandin-Dermott if Bogo is out. I don't see Keefe wanting to experiment with Sandin-Bogosian in the playoffs.

Campbell
Andersen
Rittich

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
To
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Thornton-Nash-Spezza
Galchenyuk/Brooks/Engvall

Have a feeling Galchenyuk drops out of the lineup. 0 points and a -6 in his last 4 games and played just 11 minutes last night. Doesn't PK like Mikheyev does.

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian
Sandin/Hutton/Liljegren

Sandin-Dermott if Bogo is out. I don't see Keefe wanting to experiment with Sandin-Bogosian in the playoffs.

Campbell
Andersen
Rittich
Perfect !

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander

In the past 5 games, John Tavares was -2 with 9pts. When your goalies could not stop a beach ball, no one could have a good game. Benching him is a bold move though :laugh:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This looks solid, I wonder if Brooks challenges Engvall for 4th line center, & if Nash & Kerfoot swap once he's in the lineup. I'm most interested to see what the makeup of the 3rd defensive line will be once everyone is healthy because they'll finally have the depth to put whoever it is they want there (& also Jumbo, Spezza & Simmonds are all likely in the lineup, but likely not all on the same 4th line, meaning Simmonds would probably be the guy who's up in the lineup).

Like that your top 2 lines are loaded up as they should be.

I completely overlooked Brooks. Based on what I've seen he brings more than Engvall.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I completely overlooked Brooks. Based on what I've seen he brings more than Engvall.
Think Engvall is capable of more but he hasn't been bringing it. I've liked Brooks as the 4th line center, not the fastest or biggest but seems like a good all-round player with a motor who thinks/reads the game well; I've liked him with Spezza & Jumbo. Seems like the type of smallish but smart player who'd play well with a smart player like Crosby, & likewise Spezza & Jumbo.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Sandin is definitely in if he keeps playing like last night. Dermott will come out for him I could see Sandin and Muzzin being a solid pair down the road

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Galch cannot play on the first line- he doesn't look comfortable there and just defers to the other two. He is a revelation on the second line though.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I am curious to see more of Galch against the Habs in the upcoming games. He seemed to have some jump against them and may be a secret weapon with something to prove. He will get a look for at least a few games against them, but I don't think Keefe has any problem pulling someone come playoff time if its not working.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
Foligno. Nash/kerfoot Soup.
Thornton. Spezza. Simmonds

Rielly. Brodie
Muzz. Holl
Derm. Bogo

Campbell

Reactions: Not My Tempo

Ad