Speculation: Our Lineup for Game 1 of the Playoffs?

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
We and Keefe lol, have wonderful problems to have. So many good players, where to slot them.

I think Keefer has done a good enough job, that I won't worry about it, he knows a lot more than I do. OOOPS, did I just say that, I mean I am a Leafnation GM after all.

Having Riley Nash and Foligno in the lineup for the playoffs, is just totally, freaking sick btw.

These guys should just be put in incubation for the entire regular season, and then let out when the zebras lose the pea in their whistles.

And.......We have them both. How cool is that folks.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galch - - Tavares - - Nylander
Kerfoot - - - Nash - - - Hyman
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

Robertson/Engvall - Brooks - Mikheyev

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl

Sandin - Bogosian*
Dermott*
- Hutton
Marincin - Liljigren

Campbell
Andersen

Rittich
Hutchinson

Reactions: Not My Tempo

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Assuming a healthy Bogosian, Hyman and Nash, this is how I would deploy the lines with the usual leeway:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Galchenyuk Kerfoot Simmonds
Thornton Nash Spezza

Reilly Brodie
Muzzin Holl

Sandin Bogosian

Campbell

(Whichever goalie is healthiest)

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
If everybody is healthy by game 1 I would go

Galchenyuk Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Nash Hyman
Simmonds Kerfoot Spezza
Thornton

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian
Sandin

Andersen
Campbell

Galchenyuk looked good on the 1st line. Didn't produce a lot of points but I think he could in the playoffs. Foligno I think would work better with Tavares. I want a shutdown line for the 3rd. Nash is a prime candidate for that line. Thornton or Simmonds could be interchangeable depending on whether Simmonds toughness is required. Can't see them benching Thornton though.

Bogosian probably won't be back for the 1st so it will probably be Sandin Dermott

Andersen starts but one bad game and he's done. And he definitely doesn't see the net in a game 7.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If everybody is healthy by game 1 I would go

Galchenyuk Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Nash Hyman
Simmonds Kerfoot Spezza
Thornton

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian
Sandin

Andersen
Campbell

Galchenyuk looked good on the 1st line. Didn't produce a lot of points but I think he could in the playoffs. Foligno I think would work better with Tavares. I want a shutdown line for the 3rd. Nash is a prime candidate for that line. Thornton or Simmonds could be interchangeable depending on whether Simmonds toughness is required. Can't see them benching Thornton though.

Bogosian probably won't be back for the 1st so it will probably be Sandin Dermott

Andersen starts but one bad game and he's done. And he definitely doesn't see the net in a game 7.

If Thornton can be that guy we saw in Winnipeg, then I'd welcome him into the lineup come game 1. This is the kind of player he has to be right now.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I honestly think:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mik Kerfoot Simmonds
Thornton Nash Spezza

I think Gally sits in favour of Nash. I like Gally but I think Keefe will want a more defensive lineup

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
If Thornton can be that guy we saw in Winnipeg, then I'd welcome him into the lineup come game 1. This is the kind of player he has to be right now.

For sure yes. Wasn't crapping on him in any way. He was brought in for the playoffs, leadership and experience. And if he can be the guy he was in Winnipeg then I'd welcome him as well. Just want success. If he can help then he should be in but if he plays like he's 40+ then I hope they do what's best for the team and sit him.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Could line juggle depending on who we play. Engvall should draw in if we face Edmonton. Brooks for Montreal etc..

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I honestly think:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mik Kerfoot Simmonds
Thornton Nash Spezza

I think Gally sits in favour of Nash. I like Gally but I think Keefe will want a more defensive lineup

I forsee the same kind of lineup (maybe Hyman and Foligno switched) but slightly different reasoning. I see Gally’s competition as other wingers, Nash is gonna play centre. So Gally is going up against Hyman, Mikey, Foligno or one of the ‘old guys’ who we know are going to be stepping up during the playoffs (atleast I think they will). I know there are some that think Mikey sits for Gally. I think that is nuts. Mikey’s speed and tenaciousness on the puck to me already make him more important.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I just don’t get how many people here are slotting and wanting to see Hyman on the 3rd line ...
And Galch on the 1st ?
Ain’t going to happen at all !!
Hyman and Foligno are going to be 1 and 2 at least to start anyway ...
They are our 2 best LWers by a country mile
I know I know ... balanced line up
But ain’t going to happen
If I were to make the lineups
I’m loading up 1 and 2 and opening the lions den and letting those 2 lines carry me all the way to the cup .....

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
There’s a TONNE of ways you could go, but my personal preference:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Foligno - Kerfoot - Mikheyev

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Bogo

Campbell
Andersen

Although just as easily guys like Dermott, Nash, Engvall, Robertson, Rittich, etc. could be playing.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think they may do whatever they can to keep Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds in the lineup, at least to start. Keeping that in mind, I think the lineup looks like this on game 1.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Nash-Simmonds
Thornton-Kerfoot-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If I was putting together a lineup I'd be putting together a 3rd line that can take tough matchups and zone starts and a 4th line that's used in offensive situations only

Hyman Matthews Marner (all situations line)
Galchenyuk Tavares Nylander (lean offensive situations line)
Foligno Nash Mikheyev (defensive situations line)
Thornton Kerfoot Spezza (offensive situations line)

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Its pretty good when you are choosing between Nash and Galchenyuk on a healthy lineup. I am not convinced we'll be 100% healthy so I'll worry about it later. I like most lines I see in this thread, except Galchenyuk on a third line probably won't work, maybe throw him in that situation down the stretch and see how he performs there.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Its pretty good when you are choosing between Nash and Galchenyuk on a healthy lineup. I am not convinced we'll be 100% healthy so I'll worry about it later. I like most lines I see in this thread, except Galchenyuk on a third line probably won't work, maybe throw him in that situation down the stretch and see how he performs there.
I agree that I don’t think Galch works anywhere other than the top 6.

If we want our third line to be an absolute shutdown no event hockey line I’d go with:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander
Foligno - Nash - Mikheyev

I’m a big Nash fan though. I also think this lineup is more versatile. But I also really don’t want to leave Galch, or anyone for that matter, off the lineup.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
hyman matthews marner
foligno tavares nylander
kerfoot/robertson nash/kerfoot mikheyev
thornton brooks spezza

gally sucks he is a defensive liability everytime hes on the ice.
simmonds is too slow and i would only put him on the 4th line

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Foligno - - Matthews - - Marner
Kerfoot - - Tavares - - Nylander
Hyman - - - Nash - - - Simmonds
Thornton - - Spezza - - Mikheyev

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
What I would do:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander