Speculation: Our Lineup for Game 1 of the Playoffs?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Lots of time to experiment still but right now I'd lean:

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Robertson-Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogo

Campbell
Andersen/Rittich

Reactions: Auston 316

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Foligno Matthews Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares Nylander
Mik Nash Hyman (great defensive matchup)
Spezza Kerfoot Simmonds
Thornton

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian
Hutton

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Thornton - Matthews - Marner
Galychenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Foligno - Mikheyev
Spezza - Nash - Simmonds
Kerfoot, Engvall

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Hutton - Bogo
Dermott

Anderson
Campbell

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Engvall - Hyman
Simmonds - Nash - Spezza

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogo

Campbell

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Mikheyev - Engvall - Hyman
Simmonds - Nash - Spezza

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogo

Campbell

This is what I ultimately think it will be. Maybe Hutton > Dermott but Dermott knows the system well.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Foligno JT Willy
Hyman Matty Mitch
Mik Nash Simmonds
Gally/Jumbo Kerfoot/Engval Spezz
whatever happens 4th line won't play much
Jumbo will always be on bench as 13th forward
Spezz will be RW on 4th line with Gally/Jumbo/Kerfoot/Engval switching in and out

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Simmonds - Nash - Spezza

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Chucky- Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Simmonds - Nash – Spezza

I really like Robertson, though. If Simmonds doesn’t raise his level of play, then I am subbing Robertson in for him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Hyman
Simmonds - Nash - Spezza

Thornton - Engvall - Roberston

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogo

Sandin - Liljegren
Hutton - Marincin
Rosen

Campbell
Rittich
Andersen
Hutch

It's a pretty deep, well balanced team... lines could easily end up in a blender, but guys are going to sit, who could easily be playing.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Can Nylander drive his own line?

What about:

Foligno Matthews Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares Hyman
Mikheyev Kerfoot Nylander

as the top 9

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Guessing Leafs will play MTL round 1, so probably less need for a shutdown line; not a knock on MTL, think they will be the Leafs toughest matchup from the North.
Only have Nash out because I'm not sure he's back for game 1; not sure Andersen will be back either, but I don't see him starting over Campbell initially.

Mikheyev - Foligno - Simmonds
Thornton - Kerfoot - Spezza

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian

Campbell
Rittich

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Kerfoot-Spezza
Mikheyev-Nash-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think they will telegraph their intentions pretty clearly over the next 14 games, but I also think they (Dubas and Keefe) have said a lot about what they want in a line-up. Opening night, with everyone healthy...I see:

Galchenyuk | Matthews | Marner
Foligno | Tavares | Nylander
Hyman | Engvall | Mikheyev
Simmonds | Kerfoot | Spezza

Thornton | Nash | Robertson

Rielly | Brodie
Muzzin | Holl
Dermott | Bogosian

Hutton | Sandin

Campbell
Andersen

Rittich

The depth at forward, defense and goal means shorter leashes than in precious years. With flexibility and options. We have scorers and grinders on the "stay ready squad".

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Chucky- Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Simmonds - Nash – Spezza

I really like Robertson, though. If Simmonds doesn’t raise his level of play, then I am subbing Robertson in for him.
I don't disagree. Simmonds was, however, signed with the playoffs in mind. You'd have to think he'd be given a shot to elevate his game and make an impact when it counts.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Simmonds - Nash - Spezza

Thornton, Envgall, Robertson as extras. I'd bet there's quite a bit of movement in and out of the lineup. Robertson can go in to JT's line and push Foligno down to the 3rd, or Mikheyev to the 4th, and Simmonds out of the lineup if we need scoring. Thornton in the lineup if Keefe feels we need those intangibles (is that a synonym for slow? oh well). Keefe loves to use players situationally during games and with so much roster flexibility I expect the same from game to game. Tinkering to find the right recipe depending on our opponent. We're going to have 5-6 NHL capable players sitting in the press box every night, which is exactly what we need to get through the playoff grind.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Not really sure what I want to do with Kerfoot and Engvall. I don't really like either at 3C, but Kerfoot's not a 4th liner and we have Nash as another 4C option. I wonder if Hyman/Foligno-Spezza-Kerfoot would be a decent line, or at least using Spezza on the draws before shifting to RW. We're obviously under-utilizing Spezza, but bumping him up to drop Kerfoot to the 4th line would be stupid. Simmonds and Galchenyuk make each other a bit redundant as well. I'd almost rather scratch Simmonds and go Mikheyev/Engvall-Engvall/Nash-Nash/Mikheyev as the 4th line with Engvall taking left-side faceoffs and Nash taking right-side.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Galchenyuk-Matthew-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Matthews/Marner pairing is set and Chuck looks like an ideal fit: He's fast, aggressive on the forecheck, unlike most Leafs forwards doesn't hold onto the puck way too long - he dishes off to the stars.

The Tavares/Nylander combo absolutely have to get going offensively in the playoffs or the Leafs are done. Mattews/Marner can't carry the load every night. Therefore, get Hyman in there to do what he does. Only issue I have is that all three of these guys hold onto the puck way too long. Need to chip in and chase more, and Hyman will help with that.

Third line I don't like at all but this is what we have to work with. There is serious speed here with Kerfoot and Mikheyev but goals will be a rarity. The easy choice would be then to swap Foligno and Hyman, and that may happen, but I'd decide that based on whichever player works best with Tavares + Willy as obviously the 2nd line producing is a priority over the 3rd.

Fourth line will likely outscore the third line, which is a compliment to these guys more than a shot at the Kerfoot unit. But if they can be physical enough to set a tone for the team, bonus goal or two, then mission accomplished.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Not really sure what I want to do with Kerfoot and Engvall. I don't really like either at 3C, but Kerfoot's not a 4th liner and we have Nash as another 4C option. I wonder if Hyman/Foligno-Spezza-Kerfoot would be a decent line, or at least using Spezza on the draws before shifting to RW. We're obviously under-utilizing Spezza, but bumping him up to drop Kerfoot to the 4th line would be stupid. Simmonds and Galchenyuk make each other a bit redundant as well. I'd almost rather scratch Simmonds and go Mikheyev/Engvall-Engvall/Nash-Nash/Mikheyev as the 4th line with Engvall taking left-side faceoffs and Nash taking right-side.
I feel like that's the one position that nobody has claimed this year. Was really hoping we'd upgrade 3C and dump one of Kerfoot/Engvall at the deadline.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Galchenyuk - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - JT - Nylander
Foligno - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Mik - Nash - Spezza

Hutton over Dermott on D. Rest is pretty expected

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t know what our lineup is going to be. Does anyone think the lineup we have is capable of winning the Division, Presidents Trophy and gaining last change 16 times instead of 12 potentially.Also getting the 4th place team in the final four crossover if we can make it that far.

I think we could possibly win the Presidents Trophy and our Division with that obviously. There is no East vs West in this year’s playoffs it’s 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in the final four. I think we can best anybody if healthy and on our game. Fingers crossed the rest of the way.
Dubas done a good job adding the depth that could be needed at the trade deadline. I have a feeling this team is getting very close to winning the cup. As good as any team.

The regular season will wrap up on May (something)and then the league will return to a 16-team, best-of-seven, four-round playoff format. Four teams from each division will qualify for the playoffs.
The first two rounds will be intradvisional play. Then, the four division winners will advance to the semifinals, reseeded based on their regular-season point totals (No. 1 would play No. 4, No. 2 would play No. 3). The two semifinal Winning teams will play in the Stanley Cup Final -- and if you've been following along, that means it's not necessarily going to be an Eastern Conference team versus a Western Conference team competing for the Cup

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
We have the players to tinker with to find and bolster chemistry for lines. What we lack is the big shot from the point on the PP to keep the other team honest and Reilly just does NOT possess any kind of point threat which makes the other teams box and play down low infront of their goal tender and take away the slot and cross seam pass threats from down low. With a big point shot or threat that box would have to expand to cover the point which then opens up the offensive threat down low again and opens up threats from all the areas also adding to screens, deflections, rebounds or the boomer that goes straight in, one timers from AM or down low rebounds from JT or Marner which gives a higher percentage for success.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Foligno - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Engvall - Nash - Spezza
Extras: Thornton/Simmonds/Robertson

is what I'd want... but I don't think Keefe will scratch Thornton or Simmonds.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
My guess

Hyman. Matthews. Marner.
Gally. Tavares. Nylander
Foligno. Nash. Soup.
Spezza. Kerfoot. Simmonds
Engvall/Thornton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad