Speculation: Our Lineup for Game 1 of the Playoffs?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The game prior to Foligno making his debut, the lineup was healthy, other than Nash.

The lineup that day was:

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

Notes:

1. With Foligno due back the next game, that sure looked like Robertson was a placeholder for him.
2. It was Brooks and Engvall out of the lineup, not any of Thornton/Spezza/Simmonds.
3. It was Simmonds that was booted out of the top 9, not galchenyuk.
4. That 4th line actually had a legit good game that night.
5. The Matthews line was pretty poor, which is maybe why Foligno debuted on the top line the next game instead of on the second line in Robertson's spot.
6. Those Hyman/Foligno/Galchenyuk slots seem pretty interchangeable, but I would guess all 3 would stay in the top 9....and I think Keefe would lean towards hoping that Galy continues to perform on a scoring line, freeing up one of Hyman or Foligno to really bolster that 3rd line and turn it into an impact checking line.
7. I don't know if that 4th line would continue to be good, but I do think Keefe will try them to start, with Nash banging on the door to replace one of them if need be.

Thinking over this, while i think this is the way Keefe is leaning, at the same time we know he's flexible and there are so many options.

He might be tempted to just stack up the best possible top two lines, and then complete the bottom 6 with one offensive leaning line and one defensive leaning line - neither being the clearcut 3rd or 4th line:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Thornton - Kerfoot - Spezza
Mikheyev - Nash - Simmonds

This would leave Galcheyuk out - but tbh he needs to start producing if he wants to stay in the lineup. He's not good enough defensively to make up for a lack of offense with the linemates he's been given.

Last edited:

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I like most of your line-ups. Honestly, unless Simmonds dramatically ups his game - he's the odd man out to me though. He provides zero offence/defence for the most part and his value comes as a hard hitting, bull dozer that will intimidate and provide energy. He hasn't been doing that since before his injury (and even chipped in with scoring back then too).

Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Nash-Foligno
Spezza-Kerfoot-Thornton

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott

Campbell
Andersen

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lots of great options for Keefe and clearly will depend on who is playing better at end of season

Foligno Matty Mitch (set in stone as you have a digger a shooter and a playmaker and enough defensive smarts)
Hyman JT Willy (very very likely as you have a digger a shooter and a playmaker but defensive smarts a little lacking)
Where it gets harder is line 3
Mik Nash Simmonds (a very big line with speed who play heavy with defensive awareness key .. assumes Wayner is scoring a little)
Line 4 it gets super hard
Jumbo Kerfoot Spezz (maybe Brooksy sneaks in as he looks to make Spezz and Jumbo more effective which is most important issue here)

That leaves Gally out for game 1 and maybe Kerfoot out too although I bet Keefer gos with da vet ... da more i see Gally he is a skilled guy but outside 1 game against Peg I don't see da fit

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Thinking over this, while i think this is the way Keefe is leaning, at the same time we know he's flexible and there are so many options.

He might be tempted to just stack up the best possible top two lines, and then complete the bottom 6 with one offensive leaning line and one defensive leaning line - neither being the clearcut 3rd or 4th line:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Thornton-Kerfoot-Spezza
Mikheyev-Nash-Simmonds

This would leave Galcheyuk out - but tbh he needs to start producing if he wants to stay in the lineup. He's not good enough defensively to make up for a lack of offense with the linemates he's been given.
This is exactly what I think he'll go with; just not sure which top 6 line Foligno & Hyman will end up.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
All i want to say about lineup is we have a better team construction for playoffs however it’s initially put out there.

I an not someone that thinks a starter loses the net for injury but Campbell is the starter. Andersen is there healthy or continuing getting healthier and fresher if he needs to go in.

Campbell has taken the net and I don’t think there is any disputing it or that it makes any sense to. We will have a really solid tandem to getter’ started :)

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Spezza
Simmonds-Nash-Thornton
Mikheyev/Brooks/Robertson/Engvall

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
Bogo/Hutton/Liljegren

Andersen/Campbell
Andersen/Campbell

That is one deep lineup IMO. Pretty comfortable with our 16th forward and 9th D-man, no matter how you want to order them. I've certainly never said that in the past.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Brooks is sure making a case to stay in. He's been more effective than Engvall and I'm not quite sure what to think of Soup
Simmonds will be needed n the playoffs, same with Jumbo
I think it will be Kerfoot as C on 4th line to start as tie goes to vet .. but if line is ineffective game 1 Keefer could move Kerfoot out and bring Brooks back in

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
I honestly think:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mik Kerfoot Simmonds
Thornton Nash Spezza

I think Gally sits in favour of Nash. I like Gally but I think Keefe will want a more defensive lineup
Taking Gally out ahead of Mikheyev seems crazy to me.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just don’t get how many people here are slotting and wanting to see Hyman on the 3rd line ...
And Galch on the 1st ?
Ain’t going to happen at all !!
Hyman and Foligno are going to be 1 and 2 at least to start anyway ...
They are our 2 best LWers by a country mile
I know I know ... balanced line up
But ain’t going to happen
If I were to make the lineups
I’m loading up 1 and 2 and opening the lions den and letting those 2 lines carry me all the way to the cup .....
It won’t happen so you are ok bro.
Foligno and Hyman will be in the top 6.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Brooks is sure making a case to stay in. He's been more effective than Engvall and I'm not quite sure what to think of Soup
Simmonds will be needed n the playoffs, same with Jumbo
That’s very true. He has good vision,poise,work ethic,hockey IQ and scores a bit on the fourth line. Brooksie is a savvy player. Just watch the ice he takes and how he is evaluating all the time out there where he needs to be. He’s good. I’ve liked him for years so nothing new to me. This guy is smart. Anyways I can’t say enough good about him. Every time i have in the past mentioned him i was always replied to that he was barely a Ahl’er etc. Ha

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It was pretty telling when soup couldn't hit an open net. Wow, that injury really set him back.
Mikheyev is a superior forchecker. We all seen McDavid couldn’t get away from him. I would seriously give him the shutdown assignment on every top scoring threat in the playoffs no matter what line that puts him on. As far as vision and scoring, he can work on it. We kind of have a John Madden. Not getting it done scoring but I’ll reiterate again i would trust him defensively against any player in the league. One other thing, i think he would thrive in a defensive shutdown ( shadow) assignment.
I assume everyone remembers in the three game sweep of the oilers McDavid got a slight jump on Mikheyev on the outside down the wing and Mikheyev caught him and took the puck from him. This guy is one of the absolute premiere skaters in the Nhl

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I like most of your line-ups. Honestly, unless Simmonds dramatically ups his game - he's the odd man out to me though. He provides zero offence/defence for the most part and his value comes as a hard hitting, bull dozer that will intimidate and provide energy. He hasn't been doing that since before his injury (and even chipped in with scoring back then too).

Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Nash-Foligno
Spezza-Kerfoot-Thornton

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott

Campbell
Andersen

Wayne has been skating and playing way better again. In no world will he not be in the lineup for the playoffs, same with Nash. We HAVE to have players like that for a run.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno Taveres Willy
Simmonds Nash Mik
Thornton Brooks Spezza

Gally & Envall on Taxi

Reilly Brodie
Holl Muzz
Sandin Bogo

Dermott extra

This is my forwards & defensemen, it's as deep and as solid as any lineup.

Last edited:

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I can't see Galchenyuk sticking in the line up when Hyman comes back. Nash will also play he is too much of a vet not too over Brooks.

Doesn't mean he wont get into games with injuries or be a great resign on a cheap deal for next year.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I can't see Galchenyuk sticking in the line up when Hyman comes back. Nash will also play he is too much of a vet not too over Brooks.

Doesn't mean he wont get into games with injuries or be a great resign on a cheap deal for next year.

Exactly! I am happy he is working hard, but in no world do you not have Nash in the lineup.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Wayne has been skating and playing way better again. In no world will he not be in the lineup for the playoffs, same with Nash. We HAVE to have players like that for a run.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno Taveres Willy
Simmonds Nash Mik
Thornton Brooks Spezza

Gally & Envall on Taxi

Reilly Brodie
Holl Muzz
Sandin Bogo

Dermott extra

This is my forwards & defensemen, it's as deep and as solid as any lineup.

I can't see any scenario where Brooks bumps Kerfoot from the lineup, much as I've liked the kid's game.

Kerfoot is more experienced, not soft, looked great vs columbus, but the big factor is he's reliable two-way and one our penalty killers. At this point in time, be just brings more to the lineup

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Man Dubas has done an incredible job here, we're at a point where we have more guys who should be in the lineup than spots for them. The depth on the club is great

Nash should be on the team for sure imo, he basically ensures nothing happens on the ice. If we're up 2-1 in the third you roll out Mikheyev-Nash-Foligno and can burn clock very easily

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I can't see any scenario where Brooks bumps Kerfoot from the lineup, much as I've liked the kid's game.

Kerfoot is more experienced, not soft, looked great vs columbus, but the big factor is he's reliable two-way and one our penalty killers. At this point in time, be just brings more to the lineup

Yeah that's fair. Replace Brooks with Kerf and we are good to go.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Man Dubas has done an incredible job here, we're at a point where we have more guys who should be in the lineup than spots for them. The depth on the club is great

Nash should be on the team for sure imo, he basically ensures nothing happens on the ice. If we're up 2-1 in the third you roll out Mikheyev-Nash-Foligno and can burn clock very easily

Nash did it to us in Boston multiple times and Columbus in the play ins, he is a defensive beast.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Nash-Hyman
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Bogosian/Dermott (Bogosian if healthy)

Campbell-Andersen

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I do think lineup decisions will depend on the opponent we get. If we get the Jets, we can put out a much softer lineup. Hoping to see this:

Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Thornton-Nash-Spezza (Would rather anyone else over Thornton but unlikely he’s benched)
Bench: Brooks, Engvall, Simmonds, Robertson

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
Bench: Bogosian, Liljegren

Campbell
Bench: Andersen, Rittich

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Nash-Hyman
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Bogosian/Dermott (Bogosian if healthy)

Campbell-Andersen

yep, pretty much this.

Though if Galy can continue his recent surge in point production, he might yet keep his job on that 2nd line, meaning the 3/4 center spots get a bit trickier.

but if Keefe wants to ice his best defensive lineup, there's little doubt that your top 3 lines there are the way to go.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
yep, pretty much this.

Though if Galy can continue his recent surge in point production, he might yet keep his job on that 2nd line, meaning the 3/4 center spots get a bit trickier.

but if Keefe wants to ice his best defensive lineup, there's little doubt that your top 3 lines there are the way to go.

My take is against Edmonton move Hyman to the CHECK MCDAVID LINE
Against any other team load up and play the crap out of the top 6 with Hyman being LW1 or LW2

Reactions: leafsfan5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad