Post-Game Talk: Our first loser point!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have a feeling this summer 97 gives Holland the ultimatum if it continues this way. When Holland joined the Oilers- Friedman suggested that McDavid’s camp will give Holland 2-3 years to turn it around. This is year 3 and the team has gotten worse. This summer will be when 97 is in Holland’s office telling him it’s his last year here.

We kept hearing about "wait until the summer of '21 when we have cap". Well summer came and went, we started the season with a bang and now we are in the middle of an equally big thud. Whether we want to hear it or not, McDavid I'm sure cares about his legacy. He won't want to be on a perennial loser.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We kept hearing about "wait until the summer of '21 when we have cap". Well summer came and went, we started the season with a bang and now we are in the middle of an equally big thud. Whether we want to hear it or not, McDavid I'm sure cares about his legacy. He won't want to be on a perennial loser.

I tell him he's never being traded while under contract and that comes from the owner himself.

Want playoff success? Then hire Tortorella and everyone buys in 100 percent no. 97 on down. Get a goalie, if it costs a 1st so be it.

Too hard? Too much yelling? Tough shit. You want to win anything worthwhile in this league it will be hard. Be ready to sweat blood.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
Daily reminder that Holland has had 3 YEARS to fix goaltending and Defense. He has made 0 progress in both areas, in fact I'd argue he's made the defense worse (didn't know that'd be possible). He's also getting paid 5M per year to do next to nothing, getting fleeced on every trade he makes and continues to stick with coaching staff that are clearly way past their expiration date. Additionally, he has failed to build a cohesive team around McDavid and Draisaitl, something even Chiarelli was able to do (albeit briefly).

F- for Holland
F- for Tippshitt
F- for Nicholson
F- for Oilers media - Grow some balls and ask some hard questions
This… x1000

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah let's wait for magical Unicorn coach to show up.

Wake me up when that happens. For every one Brindamour there are five Kruegers and Eakins.

In the mean time I'll take a Torts or Babcock if that's what's available. This team will learn to play with structure because structure is not optional with those coaches they don't give a shit who you are you play within the team system or else.

Frankly I'm fine with that. This team could use that kick in the ass.

Lol- dude, the conversation ended long ago. It’s so ridiculous in its premise I don’t even know why I replied. Like I said, we are done and you are now on my ignore list.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

This is very true. Holland has to act- either he has to fire his coach or he needs to come up publicly and say he failed with this roster.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I tell him he's never being traded while under contract and that comes from the owner himself.

Want playoff success? Then hire Tortorella and everyone buys in 100 percent no. 97 on down. Get a goalie, if it costs a 1st so be it.

Too hard? Too much yelling? Tough shit. You want to win anything worthwhile in this league it will be hard. Be ready to sweat blood.

I wouldn't trade him either unless he wanted out and a team gave us a Lindros like return. That said, we should be trying to win now anyway and if we suck at it then something needs changing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This isnt a cup winning roster by any stretch. Too soft. Not enough leadership from the coach or the players. But its a better roster than its showing

Agreed, we are underachieving and would need a few more key pieces before being a true contender.

Reactions: Aerchon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wouldn't trade him either unless he wanted out and a team gave us a Lindros like return. That said, we should be trying to win now anyway and if we suck at it then something needs changing.

I don't care what he wants. He signed that contract and he will be here for the duration of it. End of discussion.

Get a goalie and hire Torts if you want to win a round or two now. Everyone buys in. No excuses.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McLeod was playing very well but got very limited minutes in the first 2 periods.

Like I said though McLeod is back after missing 3 weeks. he's being eased back in and not 100%. He looked great, and he was getting 14mins a game before being out. I think the toi is wrong as well. I wonder about the accuracy of the tabulation. he had regular shifts.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Calgary lost their no.1 D and gave away Bennett for peanuts, yet Sutter has them competing balls to the wall and playing "detail or die" hockey every night.

This isn't a top 10 team either not under Tippett. Maybe talent wise, but not based on how they actually play night after night (lazy, disorganized, optional defence, no structure hockey).

Even before this losing streak if you put them in a best of 7 series versus any of Vegas, Colorado (obvious), but even Winnipeg, Calgary, Anaheim, Minnesota, St. Louis (probable Western Conference opponents) ... they would lose I bet all of those series.

They don't play with any discipline or any system and the other team just needs a better goalie than Smith (which most of those teams have) and to play trap on McDavid/Draisaitl to win.

You even watch a similarly built young offence first team like the Leafs and they play with miles more discipline and structure than this group. Night and day how they absolutely dummy the Oilers head to head and control the game entirely.
Yes... They got much better after firing Babcock and hiring who?

Reactions: zeke

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes... They got much better after firing Babcock and hiring who?

Coaches like that do wear out their welcome after 3 or so years because they are hard as nails.

But he got a lot out of that Leafs team, Oiler fans used to treat them like a little brother circa 2016 like "aww poor Toronto they're going to need 5 or 6 years just like us" ... except they were as good as the Oilers with McDavid almost immediately and had surpassed them as a team by 17-18 by a mile.

That is because he laid a foundation and system their players bought into. He deserves credit for that. He did a lot of heavy lifting developing a lot of their players including Hyman.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't care what he wants. He signed that contract and he will be here for the duration of it. End of discussion.

Get a goalie and hire Torts if you want to win a round or two now. Everyone buys in. No excuses.

Then you may as well trade him if you are going to be fumbling around and f***ing up our window to win. Because with an attitude like that there is no way in hell that he stays here a second after his contract expires.

Like I said though McLeod is back after missing 3 weeks. he's being eased back in and not 100%. He looked great, and he was getting 14mins a game before being out. I think the toi is wrong as well. I wonder about the accuracy of the tabulation. he had regular shifts.

He's a young pup and wasn't his issue covid? If so, he had a longer time to get over it than some of the others. He didn't play as much as he should've IMO especially since he was very effective.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Off the foundation Babcock built.

Yes, but the fact remains that Keefe took them beyond where Babcock did. So what would Babcock be to us? The guy that gets us closer so that maybe in 2 years another coach hopefully takes us to the cup? Or the guy that hopefully gets us there in 2 years?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then you may as well trade him if you are going to be fumbling around and f***ing up our window to win. Because with an attitude like that there is no way in hell that he stays here a second after his contract expires.

He's a young pup and wasn't his issue covid? If so, he had a longer time to get over it than some of the others. He didn't play as much as he should've IMO especially since he was very effective.

He's not going to be traded from here ever.

He will play his full contract here because no one makes Katz more money than McDavid and this is a business before anything else.

You want to be in the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs and fast? Then do what must be done and ot won't all be pleasant.

Get Tortorella. Get MAF. Spend another 1st in D. Don't want to do that? Then don't cry about no results. Do or do not. There is no try. As that wise green dude once said.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's not going to be traded from here ever.

He will play his full contract here because no one makes Katz more money than McDavid and this is a business before anything else.

You want to be in the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs and fast? Then do what must be done and ot won't all be pleasant.

Get Tortorella. Get MAF. Spend another 1st in D. Don't want to do that? Then don't cry about no results. Do or do not. There is no try. As that wise green dude once said.

Why do we get Torts of all coaches? Do we need a hard ass or just someone that knows his ass from his elbow as a coach?

Reactions: foshizzle

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Coaches like that do wear out their welcome after 3 or so years because they are hard as nails.

But he got a lot out of that Leafs team, Oiler fans used to treat them like a little brother circa 2016 like "aww poor Toronto they're going to need 5 or 6 years just like us" ... except they were as good as the Oilers with McDavid almost immediately and had surpassed them as a team by 17-18 by a mile.

That is because he laid a foundation and system their players bought into. He deserves credit for that. He did a lot of heavy lifting developing a lot of their players including Hyman.
You didn't mention who they hired or where he came from?

Was it a vet coach who lost the room replaced by an established legend coach? Or....?

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I believe Holland has never fired a coach mid-season so don't get your hopes up.

I mean, he was GM of one of the best franchises in NHL history for 20 years. Only coach he would fire was Blashill and that wasn't happening during a rebuild.

I get your point though, beyond coaches even, he's very loyal to a fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad