Post-Game Talk: Our first loser point!

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
When is the last time the Oilers organization has actually been a meritocracy?

1997?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hahaha, oh my god. Thanks for the laugh!!!! I’m sure Calgary’s playing well all due to the yelling. Forget the aggressive forcheck, and

Hahahahhahahahah, thanks dude for the laugh. Yeah- Calgary is doing well because of the yelling. It’s not because Markstrom is playing out of his mind right now and the aggressive forecheck and neutral zone pressure has nothing to do with it- it’s the yelling!!!!

Tippett would be a better coach if he just yelled!!! All of a sudden he would know how to use a timeout, pull his goalie earlier, line match, use his bottom 6 more…all of that would just happen if he yelled!

For our next coach- screw looking at hockey experience- hire my wife- she loves to tell. I’m sure the team will win. She is British and knows nothing about hockey- but that isn’t important is it?

Unicorn coach? Lol. John Cooper, Brind’Amour, Bedner, Trotz, etc are all good at communicating. It’s how they get the most out of their players.

Ethan Bear recently compared coaches. He said it’s easy playing for Brind’Amour because he takes the thinking out of the game for players- so they make less mistakes. It’s the system they deploy. I guess if Brind’Amour just yelled it would be an even better system

If yelling is what it takes so be it. I don't give a f*** at this point. Shit in their coffee.

This group needs to learn structure and defence is not optional. If it takes a Tortorella or Babcock, so be it.

Enough lazy coddling and letting them get away with sloppy plays and not being prepared to play night after night.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It looks like McLellan lost 7 of his last 10 before getting canned. Maybe Tippett is closer than I think to being fired with 8 losses in a row. I think Holland probably rides out the contract though, given his history.

McDavid and Draisaitl won't take pissing away another year lightly just because Holland doesn't want to turf his buddy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I do sort of agree with the last part, but making them a playoff team wasn't just a coaching thing IMO. I know people are critical of Holland too but I do believe he has helped rejig the team into a constant playoff team. I know there's still holes to fill, but I'm really starting to think a new coach might have this team looking much better. I think there's enough talent here, but will agree the goaltending issue is going to continue to hinder.
I still feel like them getting to the playoffs was more thanks to McDavid and Draisatl (plus the weakness of the Pacific/Canada divisions), but this offseason might've really sealed it for me on Holland.

Goaltending is still a massive hole that other teams have managed to plug.

Reactions: Czechboy

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
If yelling is what it takes so be it. I don't give a f*** at this point. Shit in their coffee.

This group needs to learn structure and defence is not optional. If it takes a Tortorella or Babcock, so be it.

Enough lazy coddling and letting them get away with sloppy plays and not being prepared to play night after night.

Holy shit, dude. I can’t continue to have this ridiculous conversation with you. It’s an effective system that wins hockey games. A coach needs to communicate his vision clearly and concisely and lay out expectations. He need to figure how to get the most out his players. If McDavid plays way better if the coach has a gentler touch, but Kassian needs to be pushed and kicked in the pants- so be it. A good coach knows which buttons to press, how his players respond, and which strategy best suits this team. Yelling at the players will have zero effect. How am I having to explain this is beyond me

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

You don't have to be a piece of shit to get people to buy into what you're selling.

In fact in this day and age it seems to be the least likely way to accomplish it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holy shit, dude. I can’t continue to have this ridiculous conversation with you. It’s an effective system that wins hockey games. A coach needs to communicate his vision clearly and concisely and lay out expectations. He need to figure how to get the most out his players. If McDavid plays way better if the coach has a gentler touch, but Kassian needs to be pushed and kicked in the pants- so be it. A good coach knows which buttons to press, how his players respond, and which strategy best suits this team. Yelling at the players will have zero effect. How am I having to explain this is beyond me

Yeah Sutter has had no effect in Calgary and Torts had no effect in Columbus.

Keep banging that drum.

Yelling is communicating. Some people might get their panties in a bunch but it can work.

And Sutter, Torts, and Babcock are all more just yellers. Their teams are extremely detailed oriented and ready to play. There are consequences for lazy play or going outside the system, that's the main thing.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I still feel like them getting to the playoffs was more thanks to McDavid and Draisatl (plus the weakness of the Pacific/Canada divisions), but this offseason might've really sealed it for me on Holland.

Goaltending is still a massive hole that other teams have managed to plug.
Could be. With my recent enlightenment into how systems are run in hockey I still think the team is better than people think as currently constructed. I'll give you the tending, but I also still think Smith would be a decent backup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Could be. With my recent enlightenment into how systems are run in hockey I still think the team is better than people think as currently constructed. I'll give you the tending, but I also still think Smith would be a decent backup.
I'd really prefer just two new goalies at this point, but...

This is a playoff team even if they aren't playing like it. There's too much talent up front for them to miss. That being said, if they miss there need to be serious, sweeping changes in the offsesaon.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'd really prefer just two new goalies at this point, but...

This is a playoff team even if they aren't playing like it. There's too much talent up front for them to miss. That being said, if they miss there need to be serious, sweeping changes in the offsesaon.
Fair.

I think Skinner could be a decent backup next season which would mean moving on from Smith. But we haven't gotten a single new goalie yet so two in one go seems highly unlikely.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah Sutter has had no effect in Calgary and Torts had no effect in Columbus.

Keep banging that drum.

Yelling is communicating. Some people might get their panties in a bunch but it can work.

And Sutter, Torts, and Babcock are all more just yellers. Their teams are extremely detailed oriented and ready to play. There are consequences for lazy play or going outside the system, that's the main thing.

Hilarious. Like I said. I’m done with you

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
McDavid and Draisaitl won't take pissing away another year lightly just because Holland doesn't want to turf his buddy.

I have a feeling this summer 97 gives Holland the ultimatum if it continues this way. When Holland joined the Oilers- Friedman suggested that McDavid’s camp will give Holland 2-3 years to turn it around. This is year 3 and the team has gotten worse. This summer will be when 97 is in Holland’s office telling him it’s his last year here.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
My recording stopped with 5 minutes left so the last memory I have we are winning....

I need someone to explain to me how we are reviewing and coach's challenging a non-stoppage of play before a penalty. Omg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Because that’s what I said…lol. Maybe you didn’t understand because I didn’t yell it at you?

Yeah let's wait for magical Unicorn coach to show up.

Wake me up when that happens. For every one Brindamour there are five Kruegers and Eakins.

In the mean time I'll take a Torts or Babcock if that's what's available. This team will learn to play with structure because structure is not optional with those coaches they don't give a shit who you are you play within the team system or else.

Frankly I'm fine with that. This team could use that kick in the ass.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
lol. EDM will probably miss the playoffs and I'm not even remotely shocked. At least they are still in it by the New Year. lol.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Has Tippett really been behind the bench for 8 straight losses?

If so, he needs to go. We give up the first goal of the game more than any team in the entire NHL. Bring in someone else. Don't care who.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Leo360

Proko88

May 6, 2010
To be fair, hes like playing 25+ minutes a game, when he really shouldnt be. He doesnt have the same gas tank that McDavid does, but Tippett doesnt know how to manage his bench.
I agree 100%, Tippett should be aware of this. How come a couple regular Joe’s know this???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad