Post-Game Talk: Our first loser point!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I also think they should move Hyman down to the 3rd line for a bit. He's been struggling since he came back from injury. Put him with another struggling player (Foegele) and try to get them going again.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If we end up getting a new coach I hope he’s an excellent goalie because this team isn’t going anywhere until we fix our problem in net.
Getting a new coach who can actually teach and implement a solid defensive system that doesn't give up 35+ shots against a game will go a long way towards making our goalies look better.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What did he say?

He brought Babcock up because he got a lot out of the Ducks team that lost to NJ IIRC and that he got the best out of Hyman and really believed in him. Then mentioned Hunter having coached Bouchard and a Devils player.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He brought Babcock up because he got a lot out of the Ducks team that lost to NJ IIRC and that he got the best out of Hyman and really believed in him. Then mentioned Hunter having coached Bouchard and a Devils player.
I'd say the fact that Stauffer is talking any criticism/negative about Tippett at all means that Holland has at least started to think about making a change.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd say the fact that Stauffer is talking any criticism/negative about Tippett at all means that Holland has at least started to think about making a change.

Bob knows what he's doing by bringing up Babcock, that wasn't an accident.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

8 games in a row with him at the helm has to warrant some serious consideration. McDavid was playing like typical/dynamic McDavid and we still lost.

Reactions: Czechboy and Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bob knows what he's doing by bringing up Babcock, that wasn't an accident.
I'd say once the criticism of Tippett becomes more commonplace during broadcasts and Oilers Now, that's when you know that Holland has really started negotiating with a candidate to replace Tippett.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd say once the criticism of Tippett becomes more commonplace during broadcasts and Oilers Now, that's when you know that Holland has really started negotiating with a candidate to replace Tippett.

I don't think that there will be time for that. If a change is coming it needs to come very soon.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Yeah I'd like to formally apologize to anyone I may have jumped on for harping on the coach.

I still don't hate the guy, but you guys were absolutely right.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah I'd like to formally apologize to anyone I may have jumped on for harping on the coach.

supergirl-no-more-apologies.gif

(Yes, this is technically a Supergirl gif. She's still boycotting the Oilers until they fire Tippett though.)

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
And how long are you going to wait for this magical unicorn coach who babies this team just right and "communicates" with them through milk and cookies?

Yes I do think they would be better if they were yelled at more often, sorry if that ruffles some feathers, I don't give a f***.

Calgary's turn around from non-playoff team to being a top 1/2 team in the division while the Oilers sit around and sniff their own farts is proof enough that Sutter's "old fashioned" approach still works well enough in this league.

Compete or get your ass roasted by your coach is fine by me. You don't want to compete and play detail oriented hockey? Then you deserve to get your ass ripped to shreds on the bench and you deserve to be bag skated the next day at practise.

If that's "too hard!" too f***ing bad. This isn't the ice capades.

A coach like Tortorella will take this team futher than where they are now, and if they hate his guts in 3 years, fine I can live with that.

Hahaha, oh my god. Thanks for the laugh!!!! I’m sure Calgary’s playing well all due to the yelling. Forget the aggressive forcheck, and
And how long are you going to wait for this magical unicorn coach who babies this team just right and "communicates" with them through milk and cookies?

Yes I do think they would be better if they were yelled at more often, sorry if that ruffles some feathers, I don't give a f***.

Calgary's turn around from non-playoff team to being a top 1/2 team in the division while the Oilers sit around and sniff their own farts is proof enough that Sutter's "old fashioned" approach still works well enough in this league.

Compete or get your ass roasted by your coach is fine by me. You don't want to compete and play detail oriented hockey? Then you deserve to get your ass ripped to shreds on the bench and you deserve to be bag skated the next day at practise.

If that's "too hard!" too f***ing bad. This isn't the ice capades.

A coach like Tortorella will take this team futher than where they are now, and if they hate his guts in 3 years, fine I can live with that.

Hahahahhahahahah, thanks dude for the laugh. Yeah- Calgary is doing well because of the yelling. It’s not because Markstrom is playing out of his mind right now and the aggressive forecheck and neutral zone pressure has nothing to do with it- it’s the yelling!!!!

Tippett would be a better coach if he just yelled!!! All of a sudden he would know how to use a timeout, pull his goalie earlier, line match, use his bottom 6 more…all of that would just happen if he yelled!

For our next coach- screw looking at hockey experience- hire my wife- she loves to tell. I’m sure the team will win. She is British and knows nothing about hockey- but that isn’t important is it?

Unicorn coach? Lol. John Cooper, Brind’Amour, Bedner, Trotz, etc are all good at communicating. It’s how they get the most out of their players.

Ethan Bear recently compared coaches. He said it’s easy playing for Brind’Amour because he takes the thinking out of the game for players- so they make less mistakes. It’s the system they deploy. I guess if Brind’Amour just yelled it would be an even better system

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
We dont need a yeller. It could be a yeller though. As long as he didnt reward lazy, out of position, selfish, plays and players

Reactions: foshizzle

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
lol remember how everyone thought Tippett was a defensive minded coach when he got hired

Hahaha
He had to be with the guys he had in Arizona. His top center for years was Martin Hanzal.

I honestly don't get the logic behind going out and getting a 'systems' coach. You can't really convince those two to play a 'structured' game. You can hold them accountable for weak efforts here and there, but how do you put them into a 'defensive system'?

What needs to change is how they're being utilized by the coach, because there's a lot of evidence that the current methods aren't working.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I don't hate the coach but I also never liked him and thought he was just another retread hire, and nothing during his tenure here has made me think otherwise. Good on him for getting the Oilers to the playoffs but that should've been the bare minimum from the get-go.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't hate the coach but I also never liked him and thought he was just another retread hire, and nothing during his tenure here has made me think otherwise. Good on him for getting the Oilers to the playoffs but that should've been the bare minimum from the get-go.
I do sort of agree with the last part, but making them a playoff team wasn't just a coaching thing IMO. I know people are critical of Holland too but I do believe he has helped rejig the team into a constant playoff team. I know there's still holes to fill, but I'm really starting to think a new coach might have this team looking much better. I think there's enough talent here, but will agree the goaltending issue is going to continue to hinder.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Holland is moving at a glacial pace, although for him this probably feels like it's moving at light speed.

He kind of tried the "it has to come from the players" bit, so Holland really can't wait much longer unless things turn around in a hurry.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
It looks like McLellan lost 7 of his last 10 before getting canned. Maybe Tippett is closer than I think to being fired with 8 losses in a row. I think Holland probably rides out the contract though, given his history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad