Our beloved Metro division watch thread.

Where will the Jackets finish in the Metro?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Somewhere there was a poster talking about the NHL point system and its crazy and I think someone replied yeah but, for example, the soccer formula wouldn't really help the Jackets etc. I couldn't find it to quote it.

But I thought about it when I read this today:

CBJ could miss the playoffs with the most ROW of any team in the metro, and the 5th most ROW in the entire league.

It's highly unlikely, given that, if the Jackets do miss, that means other teams are picking up ROW, but still...

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
There's a lot to not like with the current playoff system. I'll go into Frank Costanza mode and air my biggest grievance - the Jackets had the fourth-best regular season two years ago and didn't get home ice advantage for their first-round matchup. That pisses me off to this very day and will continue to do so for some time to come.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Somewhere there was a poster talking about the NHL point system and its crazy and I think someone replied yeah but, for example, the soccer formula wouldn't really help the Jackets etc. I couldn't find it to quote it.

But I thought about it when I read this today:

CBJ could miss the playoffs with the most ROW of any team in the metro, and the 5th most ROW in the entire league.

It's highly unlikely, given that, if the Jackets do miss, that means other teams are picking up ROW, but still...

If we get rid of the loser point, the Jackets would be safely in.

Points without loser point (Actual point total in brackets)

1. Washington 94 (102)
2. NYI 92 (99)
3. CBJ 90 (94)
4. Carolina 88 (95)
5. Pittsburgh 86 (97)

1. Tampa 120 (124)
2. Boston 96 (105)
3. Toronto 92 (99)
4. Montreal 86 (94)
5. Florida 72 (84)

Florida, NYR, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit, and Jersey would lose 10/11/12 points in the standings, equivalent to 5/6 wins. That's crazy how losing a game can add up to wins.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
NYR are playing Lundqvist in net against Ottawa. Most NY journalists think Georgiev will start their final two games. If that’s the case, we will face Georgiev Friday.

Edit: yep

Last edited:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
What a disaster for the CBJ last night. Everything that could go wrong did.

Not every game is going to go our way, but I had to turn off that clown show with around 4 minutes to go in the 2nd last night. So we are basically down to having to get all 4 points in the last 2 games. We can't count on any of the teams to care about the last two games more than Montreal. The teams we are playing have motivation, they want to spoil our playoff hopes.

Washington has more motivation to win Thursday than NYR and Ottawa do against us. And they’re way, way more talented than NYR and Ottawa. You’re right about Toronto (although you could make the argument they could be fighting for home ice in the conference final/SCF, but that’s a tough sell and I doubt Babcock approaches it that way).

It’s true we may need to get four points. But maybe not. We’ll know what we likely will need to do before puck drop against NYR anyway based on how Washington does tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
We should run over the Sens. On the other hand, the Rangers do try to be competitive every night.

Pens have to play a Red (hot) Wings so the dream of them missing the playoffs isn't quite dead yet.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
We should run over the Sens. On the other hand, the Rangers do try to be competitive every night.

Pens have to play a Red (hot) Wings so the dream of them missing the playoffs isn't quite dead yet.

Sens are actually playing well over the last few weeks.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
NYR are playing Lundqvist in net against Ottawa. Most NY journalists think Georgiev will start their final two games. If that’s the case, we will face Georgiev Friday.

Edit: yep

last time Georgiev faced us, he gave up 7 goals (all at even strength) on 40 shots.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I feel like the make-or-break game is tonight in Washington. If the Caps win our magic number drops to two, and the CBJ and play an aggressive, relaxed* game in New York on Friday.

If Montreal wins tonight and passes us, Friday is must-win, and I think we start gripping the sticks too tightly again. Go Caps!!

* Not relaxed, but we playing to clinch rather than playing to stay alive is a whole different world to work in.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Never has it been clearer the out of town team(s) for whom we should be pulling. Biggest non-game day of the year for the CBJ tonight.

Go Caps! And Go Wings and Devils, too. And what the hell Go Panthers. But mostly Go Caps!

Last edited:

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
Never has it been clearer the out of town team(s) for whom we should be pulling. Biggest non-game day of the year for the CBJ tonight.

Go Caps! And Go Wings and Devils, too. And what the hell Go Panthers. But mostly Go Caps!
I don't think we really want "Go Panthers". It would be better for the Islanders to get off to a lead so that the Caps feel the pressure to win tonight.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't think we really want "Go Panthers". It would be better for the Islanders to get off to a lead so that the Caps feel the pressure to win tonight.

Go Caps!

Here's what I think about pressure and who need to win and who's sitting players and what goalie is in net. They still have to play the games. I mean I guess you want every potential advantage you can get when you're in crisis mode like the Jackets (and Habs and Canes, and still kinda the Pens) are, but I just never assume anything about a game that hasn't been played yet.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Tonight is the game where we find out if MTL loses a game. If they win tonight, I am confident they will beat my 7-2 prediction threshold and go 8-1 and will require the CBJ to go 2-0 to get in. Still no word on who is in net for Washington.

Hopefully Carolina drops a game in OT or regulation in the final 2 so we can re-control out own destiny there too.

Edit: It's actually been confirmed Holtby is in the net tonight for Washington. No resting either. Full go for Washington.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad