Our beloved Metro division watch thread.

Where will the Jackets finish in the Metro?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Games to Watch: (Bolded on who you want to win)

Pittsburgh @ Philadelphia (really you can root either way. Voting Pittsburgh means you keep the Flyers away, voting Flyers means you keep Pittsburgh away)
LA @ Washington

Flyers are hot but I don't know as they can stay hot enough to climb past enough teams to be a threat. That said, I'd still probably pull for the Penguins here because why take the chance of crowding the playoff chase.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I know myself and others don’t really expect to make much noise in the playoffs this year, regardless of whether or not that includes Bob and Bread.

That being said, at this point in the year, there’s a pretty decent chance we could end up playing NYI round 1. That’s a matchup that I think would shape up decently well for us, and I would expect to win, going into it.

Keeping Bread, trading Bob and trading for Quick would be an option I would consider, knowing this. Beat the Isles round 1, and going into round 2 against, hopefully, the Caps, with confidence, and known quality playoff goaltending, is a situation that could possibly lead to an ECF berth.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I know myself and others don’t really expect to make much noise in the playoffs this year, regardless of whether or not that includes Bob and Bread.

That being said, at this point in the year, there’s a pretty decent chance we could end up playing NYI round 1. That’s a matchup that I think would shape up decently well for us, and I would expect to win, going into it.

Keeping Bread, trading Bob and trading for Quick would be an option I would consider, knowing this. Beat the Isles round 1, and going into round 2 against, hopefully, the Caps, with confidence, and known quality playoff goaltending, is a situation that could possibly lead to an ECF berth.

Interesting outlook. We need to win 17 of our remaining 28 games, or thereabouts. Seems pretty doable to me, that would get us to 97 points.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

I’m not sure it’s a decent chance. Pens, Caps and CBJ are all currently behind Montreal (WC1) in points. All 3 would need to leap frog Habs to push them to WC2 and then CBJ finish behind both Caps and Pens.

I like CBJ chances better for 2nd in Metro. Hopefully, Pens get stuck in WC2.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I’m not sure it’s a decent chance. Pens, Caps and CBJ are all currently behind Montreal (WC1) in points. All 3 would need to leap frog Habs to push them to WC2 and then CBJ finish behind both Caps and Pens.

I like CBJ chances better for 2nd in Metro. Hopefully, Pens get stuck in WC2.
I'm thinking moreso that us and NYI finish 2/3 in the division, with the Caps at 1 and the Pens at 4.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I shouldn't have voted so soon. With the impending trades we're likely to make and our 5-game losing streak, I was feeling blue and voted that we were likely to miss. I'm looking now and it's almost absurd, we will have to really shit the bed. Which, given our history, is entirely possible... but consider this:

Last year's playoff line was 97 points. Let's use that for our minimal point target:

With their loss tonight, Philadelphia sits at 25-24-7 for 57 points, a full 8 back from us and Pissburgh. They own a -24 goal differential and have 23 ROW. With 26 games left, they will have go something like 18-4-4 or 20-6 to get to 97 points. Unless they go on a ridiculous tear, they are going to be a hard sell. Every team below them in the standings is in less of a chance to get in.

Buffalo sits at 27-21-7 for 61 points. They own a -8 goal differential and, like Philly, have 23 ROW. But they are trending the wrong way at 6-11-1 since Christmas. Their young, patchwork defense is tearing its ugly head and their goaltending is very suspect. They will need to gain 26 points in their final 27 games, very doable... but they have some UFA concerns of their own in Jeff Skinner. Do they add at the deadline for a playoff run? Or do they look to continue to build for a brighter future? I don't think this team stands pat either way.

Carolina is right on the outside looking in. Unlike Buffalo they have been hot, going 13-6-1 since Christmas. They own a 28-22-6 record this year, with 27 ROW and an even goal differential, good for 62 points in the standings. Carolina will need 35 points in its final 26 games, a very achievable task. But the unknown in Carolina remains - many people still consider them to be sellers at the deadline, with a glut of right hand defensemen and a big UFA forward that could be shopped. If they don't get immediate help, it will be tough for them to get in. And don't overlook their goaltending either, they have struggled with staying healthy and consistent at that position all year.

Let's face it, there's no way the Caps or Penguins miss the playoffs. The Isles will need a monumental collapse to miss. The Habs look like they will get in, and we know that Boston and Toronto are going to be there. Tampa may as well already have the president's trophy locked up. So let's see what it takes for us:

Argument's sake, all three of the teams I just mentioned get to 97 points, we need 98.

Columbus sits at 31-20-3, all 31 wins in regulation or overtime, and a +10 goal differential. We have 65 points, so 33 is what I think it will take us to get a sure spot. We have 27 games to get 33 points, so a record of 16-10-1 should pretty much lock the CBJ in.

This team is good enough to do that, but the obvious deadline questions loom. Hopefully this long post brings some encouragement :laugh:

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
The key to this teams' final Metro standing, and frankly their playoff chances, rests on their home games.

The overall remaining schedule isn't exactly a cakewalk:

- WSH (home - tomorrow)
- we play PIT 3 more times (2 at home)
- we play BOS 3 more times (2 at home)
- we play NYI 2 more times (home/away)
- we play MTL 2 more times (home/away)
- TBL (home)
- SJS (home)
- WPG (home)
- CAR (home)
- @ NSH
- @ CGY
- @ BUF

That's 18 very challenging games vs. teams in the playoffs or in the chase. The good news OR bad news is that 12 of those 18 are at home.

Given our propensity at home vs. some of these above teams, I would probably take 10-8 in a heartbeat. That would mean we would have to go 7-2-1 in our easier games to get to 98 pts. as the poster above pointed out as a target.

If Nationwide Arena continues to be gold mine for visiting teams, we can probably forget the playoffs. If CBJ can turn their home fortunes around, they would actually have a real shot at the Metro, as they have 5 home games and 2 only road games vs. the top of the Metro moving forward.

With Tampa and San Jose coming to town next week, the next 2 games are HUGE. Possibly must-win.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I just want to say I played a side mini game called guess where @CBJWennberg10 voted knowing they are the moat pessimisric member. So I personally voted 3rd because we have done it back to back years qnd are sitting there now and then guessed miss the playoffs from wennberg amd DING DING DING DING DING DING DING nailed it first try haha

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I just want to say I played a side mini game called guess where @CBJWennberg10 voted knowing they are the moat pessimisric member. So I personally voted 3rd because we have done it back to back years qnd are sitting there now and then guessed miss the playoffs from wennberg amd DING DING DING DING DING DING DING nailed it first try haha

I would say I did a mini game regarding your posts, but I'd be lying because I usually just skip over them.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
The playoffs race may and will get very ugly in the metro this season imo. Any loss from now on is a tragedy.

I really like this organisation and will support it for many years to come yet these next few weeks/months will be such a defining moment :/

Reactions: CBJ VGK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I voted 2nd wc but the schedule is daunting. TDL definitely will have an impact. Buckle up.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I voted 2nd wc but the schedule is daunting. TDL definitely will have an impact. Buckle up.

Same. If we somehow keep Bread/Bob or at least Bread, I'd be willing to change my vote to a 3rd place finish in the division.

Last edited:

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Is it really pessimistic to think the Caps/Pens are better than us though?

Is it really optimistic to think CBJ are closer to 2nd in the Metro than being out of playoffs because they are ahead of Pens with 2 games in hand and can finish tonight 2 points behind Caps with 2 games in hand?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Who to Root for Today:

New York Islanders @ Buffalo
Washington @ Columbus
Carolina @ Ottawa
Philadelphia @ Minnesota

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Nobody is stopping you from rooting for the Sabres. But if you want to make the playoffs, then you should root for the Islanders.

I think we're going to make the playoffs anyways. We're still in the race to get to the top of the division (assuming this week goes well), so that is why I'll be rooting for Buffalo tonight.

Guessing OP thinks we would fall into WC spot that matches up with NYI if they keep winning.

That makes sense. I think the Islanders will eventually come back down to earth, but if they hold on to that #1 spot, I would absolutely not mind playing them in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad