Ottawa U18 Part 4

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Thanks Terry and Jason for the feedback. I agree that scheduling is one of the biggest areas for improvement. Let's hope it continues to get better. I like the idea of teams hosting home games on weekends and dropping to one showcase weekend per team. When is a decision being made on if the league continues past this year? Is that on Thursday this week?
My understanding is there are ongoing discussions at HEO Minor regarding what will happen moving forward. We as individual teams have been asked to answer some questions but are not directly involved in the process.

highwayman

Aug 4, 2015
My understanding is there are ongoing discussions at HEO Minor regarding what will happen moving forward. We as individual teams have been asked to answer some questions but are not directly involved in the process.

Info that I have heard is that the final vote is tomorrow evening
only district chairs will cast a vote(10)
new governance model is proposed, tighter financial control, new board structure for league administration.
rumour has it minor will be looking for a new league president if passed
projected vote 6-4 in favour.

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
new governance model is proposed, tighter financial control, new board structure for league administration.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

new governance model is proposed; No teeth, it is fluff. Anybody want to bet money that someone is trying to keep the U18 league and has the backing of junior at the next AGM for a seat on the HEO BOD.
tighter financial control ; HEO Minor had 3 years to monitor this league and now the want tighter financial control. They did nothing in the first 3 years what would make anyone believe they are going to work now?
Vote 6-4; Question. The D-chair from D 5 is she married to the owner of the Kanata Lasers? If so is that not a conflict of interest. Would she still be allowed to vote? Any other D-Chairs with ties to junior?

FYI
As of right now the HEO area will not have a representative at the OHL Cup in March. HEO Minor has decided that they will not allow the 67 bantams to be reassembled and participate.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Terry, last year you paid your coach. How do ensure he got paid? Did U18 pay him directly? Did U18 pay you and you paid the coach? How does that work?

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Terry, last year you paid your coach. How do ensure he got paid? Did U18 pay him directly? Did U18 pay you and you paid the coach? How does that work?
If you review my earlier posts you will see that all our expenditures, including staff costs and ice....., are paid direct by the HEO Midget AAA league. It never enters the Jr A team account.
Terry Nichols
Kemptville 73’s General Manager
613-282-8310

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
If you review my earlier posts you will see that all our expenditures, including staff costs and ice....., are paid direct by the HEO Midget AAA league. It never enters the Jr A team account.
Terry Nichols
613-282-8310

How do they know what amount to pay?

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
FYI
As of right now the HEO area will not have a representative at the OHL Cup in March. HEO Minor has decided that they will not allow the 67 bantams to be reassembled and participate.

As I understand it there is a black out period for the HEO Midget AAA playoffs for the OHL Cup. This leads me to believe that they are attempting to put an HEO team into the OHL Cup otherwise why have the blackout and delay the playoffs?

TerryN

May 17, 2016
As I understand it there is a black out period for the HEO Midget AAA playoffs for the OHL Cup. This leads me to believe that they are attempting to put an HEO team into the OHL Cup otherwise why have the blackout and delay the playoffs?
The schedule we were sent a couple of weeks ago shows an OHL Cup Break from Mar 13-19th .

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
I think one area for improvement for the league would be better communication to parents including full financial transparency. That was missing/is missing at AAA below Midget also. Being completely open and transparent with the people paying for the league as well as with the players would likely shut up the naysayers for the most part. This isn't something the Junior teams can solve though. This falls on HEO to address and in my opinion it's an easy fix.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Your still on this crap...its been 3 yrs...budget is on the site tips!

You got that right. Still on this because you have a budget on the website not a release of your expenditures. Not who gets paid? What they get paid? How they get paid? How much is ice for each team? The parents will not ask the questions because they are holding out hope that there player will some day play in the CCHL.
HEO Minor needs to ask all these questions to U18 president.

Last edited:

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
As I posted before, we are given a budget which posted on league website and allocate that to our Midget Staff, IMO they earn every penny!!!!

My son's old coach was a coach in the league last year. He was promised and budgeted for a different amount then he got, Ill let you guess if he got more or less then what was listed on the budget. Evidently it was for his entire coaching staff. He'd appeal, but then he gets blackballed. I think this is why people want more teeth and more actual knowledge of what's being spent, not what a budget says.

We got a very detailed breakdown in the GTHL with what goes where done by an accountant, where they show the budget, what was paid, and the differences. I don't see that on the HEO Midget site.

new governance model is proposed, tighter financial control, new board structure for league

I wonder if that is in response to stories like above?

Last edited:

TerryN

May 17, 2016
This league has more people watching finances than any Minor hockey team or league I have ever been involved with and I have been involved with a lot, over 20 years in Minor hockey with both boys and girls. My understanding there is an HEO Minor person assigned to just that and works with the treasurer of the league.
We do not get given a specific line item for Head Coach, the amount published in the budget covers more than one staff member, and as I have mentioned before ours get paid direct from league. Thus not every Head Coach or Assistant would get the same in the league. In fact much of the budgeted items are dealt with directly by league that the teams have no involvement in at all.
What is unique to this league is that financially it is treated like an Assocition with all 12 teams reported as one entity, even the 73’s do not get a separate statement at the end of the season for what is spent by our Midget team, in fact under Hockey Canada it may even be an Association based upon the way I see the teams registered with HC. The combined financial report has been published for both seasons after being vetted vigorously by HEO Minor. It is a different set up than what people are used to.
Terry Nichols
613-282-8310

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
This league has more people watching finances than any Minor hockey team or league I have ever been involved with and I have been involved with a lot, over 20 years in Minor hockey with both boys and girls. My understanding there is an HEO Minor person assigned to just that and works with the treasurer of the league.
We do not get given a specific line item for Head Coach, the amount published in the budget covers more than one staff member, and as I have mentioned before ours get paid direct from league. Thus not every Head Coach or Assistant would get the same in the league. In fact much of the budgeted items are dealt with directly by league that the teams have no involvement in at all.
What is unique to this league is that financially it is treated like an Assocition with all 12 teams reported as one entity, even the 73’s do not get a separate statement at the end of the season for what is spent by our Midget team, in fact under Hockey Canada it may even be an Association based upon the way I see the teams registered with HC. The combined financial report has been published for both seasons after being vetted vigorously by HEO Minor. It is a different set up than what people are used to.
Terry Nichols
613-282-8310

Terry I fully understand that you believe the U18 league was monitored very closely. You are entitled to your opinion. I beg to differ, Who watched the finances? If the finances were so closely watched, why then in the governance model that the D- chairs are voting on tonight's are 4 of the 16 slides on finance and how HEO Minor will be monitoring it much closer. Having said that HEO Minor had 3 years to watch/monitor the pilot and they did not. HEO Minors solution to their lack of effort is extend pilot and we will do our job this time. They have already lied to the paying public once. How many chances do they get.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Will we hear the results from the vote tonight? maybe breaking news here? :)

Not holding out a lot of hope that the D-Chairs will do the right thing. Not sure they know what the right thing is. We can always hope.
We should know by late tonight and you will not even have to read the post. You will be able to figure out how the vote went by who makes the post.

Reactions: ValleyTitans

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
U18 play-offs, Just saw the schedule. WOW. Most games end after 11:30.
Why play over 40 games and eliminate no teams. I know we have to be fair. After all it is AAA house league.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Sounds good but the delegate would be told how to vote. D5 should not have a vote on this issue.

So, 4,000 members of HEO Minor don't get a say in this? That's ridiculous. If we start eliminating votes due to crossing interests, things will get a lot worse much more quickly. The Chair of D5 is responsible for how that District votes. If the membership cares enough, they will change the Chair. I know how hard that is to do in reality, but that's how these things work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad