Ottawa U18 Part 4

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
The executive of U18 league are mind readers? They just pay bills? How do they know how much to pay? Your team does not send them a bill for ice, coaching, etc. Well maybe the U18 executive just sends you $5600.00 times the number of player on your rosters and you use the money as you wish.
Can you see why I would be Nothappy there is no accountability in the process.

I am not a big fan of the current U18 but I agree it cant just go back to the Legacy AAA especially at Minor Midget. There are a couple of the Legacy AAA orgs that are just mailing it in the last couple of years with their programs.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Getting rid of u18 is not the solution. The solution is creating a new league that has fewer teams so that it creates more competition to make a team, more competition at practice, more competition in games. This will improve the quality of hockey, improve the players and put more HEO players in CCHL and the OHL. Does HEO Minor want to do this? Lets hope so.

Last edited:

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Getting rid of u18 is not the solution. The solution is creating a new league that has fewer teams so that it creates more competition to make a team, more competition at practice, more competition in games. This will improve the quality of hockey, improve the players and put more HEO players in CCHL and the OHL. Does HEO Minor want to do this? Lets hope so.
I thought u wanted Minor Midget?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
So if you don t like U18 why not just go back to midget minor?

IMO HEO Minor will not allow that to happen. Most districts have never been happy with AAA since the day it started.
Your bantam division has 5 association teams and 2 schools. It has two teams that are much better than the rest, two teams that should not be at the AAA level, two teams that are participating in the league not competing and 1 team that on some nights can compete with the two teams at the top but survives by winning games from the 4 teams below them. So does your division need 1 less team or 3 less teams.

HockeyDad4Life

Feb 6, 2018
The current league isn't perfect but it's improving every year. The addition on the All-Star teams this year and attendance at 2 quality tournaments for the 2002's is a good example. Is it perfect, no. That said, it's as good or better than the old AAA system was. There was no accountability (financial or otherwise) with some of the AAA teams in the old system. I don't know if they've improved in the last 3 years or not but this league today provides more opportunities for more players than the old system did. It would be a shame to see it changed.

2003 dad

Feb 4, 2018
IMO HEO Minor will not allow that to happen. Most districts have never been happy with AAA since the day it started.
Your bantam division has 5 association teams and 2 schools. It has two teams that are much better than the rest, two teams that should not be at the AAA level, two teams that are participating in the league not competing and 1 team that on some nights can compete with the two teams at the top but survives by winning games from the 4 teams below them. So does your division need 1 less team or 3 less teams.
So you are saying that the Wild should not exist based on this years result so what about next year and the 04 s they are ranked 2nd in Ontario so this association does not belong in AAA?

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015

I’m not sure that it’s fair to expect parady in any league. My son is playing in the GTHL this year and there is a similar divide, 4 top teams, 4 bottom teams, 4 middle. I’d bet that this is the case in most if not all leagues in Ontario.

Reactions: Tex76

2003 dad

Feb 4, 2018
I’m not sure that it’s fair to expect parady in any league. My son is playing in the GTHL this year and there is a similar divide, 4 top teams, 4 bottom teams, 4 middle. I’d bet that this is the case in most if not all leagues in Ontario.

2003 dad

Feb 4, 2018
The point i want to make is my son is presently playing Bantam major in a small rural area with about 40 kids coming out for tryouts and within the same area we have 4 U18 teams which is why I see U18 as a money grab rather than a development league.So personnally i would rather stay with AAA minor midget.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
So you are saying that the Wild should not exist based on this years result so what about next year and the 04 s they are ranked 2nd in Ontario so this association does not belong in AAA?

My point and maybe not presented as well as it should have been is. The HEO area cannot make 5 quality teams at any AAA age group so making 12 teams at the midget level is impossible. There needs to be a change very soon. All competitive hockey in the HEO area needs to be addressed not just the Midget age group. IMO HEO Minor does not have the appetite to make the changes to improve competitive hockey.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Came to this board to read about players in the U18 loop but most of the discussion since the beginning of the season has been about off ice issues regarding how the future of the Ottawa minor hockey (which I don't mind, but would've loved to see more player/team/game discussions)

Guess my simple question would be who are some of the upper echelon players and what are some of the top teams in the loop? And are there players that have potential to move to higher levels of hockey past U18 or can/should be considered in the OHL U18?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Came to this board to read about players in the U18 loop but most of the discussion since the beginning of the season has been about off ice issues regarding how the future of the Ottawa minor hockey (which I don't mind, but would've loved to see more player/team/game discussions)

Guess my simple question would be who are some of the upper echelon players and what are some of the top teams in the loop? And are there players that have potential to move to higher levels of hockey past U18 or can/should be considered in the OHL U18?

Best team by far is Rockland, then Hawkesbury. After that it is a toss up Navan, Nepean.
There are lots of good players, some very good goalies and some top end OHL draft picks (top 2/3 rounds). There could be 10 or more kids in the top 3 rounds. This area has had in the past about 25/29 OHL drafts per year. With about 10 making OHL after two years. The numbers have dropped off drastically the first two years of U18 but should get back up this year. A good birth year for the HEO area. Sorry I do not like putting players names up because they might read this board also. Check HFBoards OHL draft.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
The point i want to make is my son is presently playing Bantam major in a small rural area with about 40 kids coming out for tryouts and within the same area we have 4 U18 teams which is why I see U18 as a money grab rather than a development league.So personnally i would rather stay with AAA minor midget.
Will pay half of what u spend now. Not a money grab at all.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Best team by far is Rockland, then Hawkesbury. After that it is a toss up Navan, Nepean.
There are lots of good players, some very good goalies and some top end OHL draft picks (top 2/3 rounds). There could be 10 or more kids in the top 3 rounds. This area has had in the past about 25/29 OHL drafts per year. With about 10 making OHL after two years. The numbers have dropped off drastically the first two years of U18 but should get back up this year. A good birth year for the HEO area. Sorry I do not like putting players names up because they might read this board also. Check HFBoards OHL draft.
What were the draft numbers that dropped off? I dont understand?

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
I find it hard to believe a Bantam AAA team in HEO runs a $200,000 budget......I think the 50% discount is a bit of an exaggeration.
Sponsor for our Jr A team kid plays Major Bantam AAA...says he will be 12k to play this year.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
What were the draft numbers that dropped off? I dont understand?

Please do your own work, ( numbers are on this board somewhere from previous post). I am tired of supplying the facts and you countering with a alternative facts.

Sponsor for our Jr A team kid plays Major Bantam AAA...says he will be 12k to play this year.

Apples and oranges. How much do parents of U18 teams pay for in gas per year traveling to practices and games so far from what could have been there AAA area? Every game every practice is a travel day. How many missed hours of school?

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Apples and oranges. How much do parents of U18 teams pay for in gas per year traveling to practices and games so far from what could have been there AAA area? Every game every practice is a travel day. How many missed hours of school?
Travel is big in 3 of 5 AAA Associations, OVT, Wild and UCC so I don't see it as being much different, I will agree that Monday games in Ottawa add some distance for some, but a lot of players in places like Cornwall, Brockville and Pembroke make up for it with closer practices, Plus it is made up by not travelling to away tournaments. Most if not all of the 73's Midget players live within 45-50 km which is a simple commute, our practices are 5:30 Tues and Thurs plus 6:30 Sunday so no lost school. I do know some players commute a lot to practice on some teams but that will be the case with every age group. The regularity of scheduling though is a big plus for this age group, gives them the ability to work even. Lost school days way larger in younger age groups just do to tournaments alone, majority in U18 only miss one day at most due to a Sensplex tournament.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Please do your own work, ( numbers are on this board somewhere from previous post). I am tired of supplying the facts and you countering with a alternative facts.

Same amount drafted since 1998 in ohl draft from this area. Number goes up or down 10 to 15 percent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad