Proposal: Ottawa Senators Fire Sale

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Sens fans, what is going on with Karlsson? Is there a feeling you guys are going to sign him or that you will trade him by the next deadline? Obviously every team would be interested in one of the best dman in Hockey!

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I would like Bobby Ryan but my only concern is the "expansion draft" ramifications of taking him. You have to protect him or buy him out. Neither which is an ideal situation for an up and coming team.

If the right package was offered though I'm sure Jim would consider it in Vancouver. The value would need to be worthwhile though.

He actually doesn't need to be protected. He wasn't with Vegas. Unless something changes in the last couple years of his deal but I doubt it.

Sens fans, what is going on with Karlsson? Is there a feeling you guys are going to sign him or that you will trade him by the next deadline? Obviously every team would be interested in one of the best dman in Hockey!

I think he extends in the first week of July. Maybe even on the 1st. But if he doesn't like the offer (my guess is 8x10.5), he'll get dealt within the month.

Reactions: Devonator

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There's a big difference in value between Hoffman and Stone, and honestly this deal probably doesn't get either one.

I think if Hoffman ends up being dealt it will be for young, cost controlled pieces (guys on ELC's, ect). For the Wild I think that ends up being Kunin/Erikkson Ek/Greenway+
Hoffman's good and that's a reasonable price, but I think it'd be a bad idea for the Wild to be trading any of those guys for two years of a 28 year old LW. However, if the new GM insists on doing something like this in an effort to make a short-term push, I'd go after Hoffman instead of Pacioretty 10 times out of 10.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Even if you are rebuilding, what's better for a rebuild, Erik Karlsson for the next 8 years, or one of Zadina/Tkachuk @ 18 years old?

That's easy.. If you are rebuilding you are taking the 18-year-old and building through the draft. Not taking a defender that will be 29 years old when his new contract goes into effect and paying for years 29-36 at 10+ million a year doesn't seem to bright for a rebuilding team

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That's easy.. If you are rebuilding you are taking the 18-year-old and building through the draft. Not taking a defender that will be 29 years old when his new contract goes into effect and paying for years 29-36 at 10+ million a year doesn't seem to bright for a rebuilding team

If the 18 year old pans out, a team is most likely paying them 7Mish+ at the end of their ELC. Currently, that number would be in the 6M range, but in 3 years time the cap will be much higher.

Again, look at the list of players historically taken 3rd overall. A 27-36 year old Karlsson would be expected to bring significantly more to a team than the type of player that can be expected at 3rd overall. The added value of Karlsson trumps the value of the ELC, and the value of potentially being able to retain the player beyond 25 years old (or whenever the individual player qualifies for UFA status).

Look at the list I posted a few pages back of the last 15 3rd overall picks. How many of those guys would you rather have from 18 and beyond than a 27 year old Erik Karlsson to stage a rebuild around? There's a very reasonable chance that even as a defenseman, Erik Karlsson will out produce whoever is taken at 3rd overall this year over the next 8 seasons.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
ceci and hoffman to buffalo for Marcus Davidsson/Rasmus Asplund, Brendan Guhle, 2nd rdpick #32 and Bogosian?

Moving guhle hurts but Hoffman and ceci fill huge needs

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
ceci and hoffman to buffalo for Marcus Davidsson/Rasmus Asplund, Brendan Guhle, 2nd rdpick #32 and Bogosian?

Moving guhle hurts but Hoffman and ceci fill huge needs
We’re not going to be moving two roster players for a prospect + 2nd. Pass.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
would take any of Ek, Hoffman or Stone in Philly. Sens have some nice pieces to plunder if they are indeed in full rebuild mode.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Not trying to derail the thread but I seem to remember reading something about Karlsson having no Canadian teams in his trade list, do we know if there is truth to that? Just asking cause people mentioned Habs and Leafs on the thread.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
We’re not going to be moving two roster players for a prospect + 2nd. Pass.
Guhle is a roster player now, davidsson/asplund are good specs, the 2nd is the earliest possible 2nd and u get bogo. fair if u don't like it....but it's not two roster players for a spec and a 2nd lol

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad