Proposal: Ottawa Senators Fire Sale

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lol get outta here

Really though, I'm very interested in that 10th OA pick, but I wouldn't say Dzingel or Pageau quite have that kind of value. I don't think Dzingel is going anywhere anytime soon. Pageau maybe depending on how White does with the 3C role. But not going anywhere this summer.

The main pieces I could see being available to EDM are Hoffman, Ceci and 22nd OA. Obviously not all 3 lol.

I'd be interested in doing all 3 and adding to it to get RNH and the 10th but Edmonton probably won't do that.

I genuinely think Ceci+22OA gets us to 10 OA, but we need to add to Hoff to land RNH. Edmonton fans will cry but if you're playing RNH on McD's wing then Hoffman is the better option, and cheaper.

I don’t really see much worth acquiring in Ceci to be honest. I don’t think he’s an upgrade on what we have.

Nuge looked excellent on McDavid’s wing and I think if you’re break even on a player, tie goes to the two way centre.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
For both, or...?

Honestly I'm not sure those are the guys management want to move on from. They are young enough to move forward with the new core if Karlsson is traded and both cheap enough (for now) that there won't be a significant savings by trading them. I think if anything they'd be looking for a defenceman if they end up moving these guys (but I think the preference would be to move Hoffman honestly).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I disagree. Both at their best, I'm taking Hoffman every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Maybe age difference and contract are factors though.

I do agree that there has to be a conditional pick in there due to his injuries. I could see Fabrri+2018 2nd +Conditional 2019 1st. The condition is that Fabbri needs to play at least 55 games next year. If he doesn't, STL gives up their 1st. If he does, they keep their 1st.
Problem is we saw very little of Fabbri scratching at his best. He looked like Jaden Schwartz with more offense.

But again....Blues would have to concede some value given we dont know what he returns like.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I would almost be interested in Bobby Ryan, if we could send a bad contract or two your way, but with shorter term. I would love to get rid of the Steen, Berglund and Sobotka contracts. Get him back in the conference where he had success. I do think Armstrong will be in touch about Hoffman again. I dont know what was being rumored in Ottawa, but there was way too much smoke here for there not to have been a fire going on.

steen + sobotka for ryan + a contract to balance salaries

reason that contract is there from ottawas side is I just saw that next year steen makes about the same as ryan in actual salary. While I would love to do the deal to reduce the term as you stated we also need to keep dollars balanced at the very least because of eugene

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

reason that contract is there from ottawas side is I just saw that next year steen makes about the same as ryan in actual salary. While I would love to do the deal to reduce the term as you stated we also need to keep dollars balanced at the very least because of eugene
Ryan when he is healthy produces fine,thing is he is never healthy...Ryan is starting to look more and more like player..That will end his current deal on the LTIR ,I mean how many more times can one guy have his hand/fingers broken before he isnt able to even hold his stick...

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Ryan when he is healthy produces fine,thing is he is never healthy...Ryan is starting to look more and more like player..That will end his current deal on the LTIR ,I mean how many more times can one guy have his hand/fingers broken before he isnt able to even hold his stick...

honestly that is a debatable point and at times i have thought that so i cant call you wrong or insane

that being said with our cheap *** owner dollars in dollars out

steen and sobotka combine for 10.5 million for next year
ryan (if traded before july 1st) = 7.5 million for next year

need to balance that equation somehow otherwise eugene might set everything on fire and go into a cave and never come out...wait i might be ok with this

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

I can't see taking $7.25m cap hit for the next 4 years for what will be a 3rd line LW (Schwartz/Fabbri/Ryan). I'd rather have Steen in that role for cheaper even though he is 3 years older. Sobotka can be traded for a mid round pick. Then we have to take on even more salary on a cap dump...easy no.

I may be in the minority, but I have zero interest in seeing Ryan in the Blue Note.

Reactions: RoarBacon

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
honestly that is a debatable point and at times i have thought that so i cant call you wrong or insane

that being said with our cheap *** owner dollars in dollars out

steen and sobotka combine for 10.5 million for next year
ryan (if traded before july 1st) = 7.5 million for next year

need to balance that equation somehow otherwise eugene might set everything on fire and go into a cave and never come out...wait i might be ok with this
TBH ,what needs to happen is we ride out some of the dead money,until some more palatable options come available...Also having an owner count dead money as what it is ...And not hold it against the budget..Allowing us to resign key players

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I can't see taking $7.25m cap hit for the next 4 years for what will be a 3rd line LW (Schwartz/Fabbri/Ryan). I'd rather have Steen in that role for cheaper even though he is 3 years older. Sobotka can be traded for a mid round pick. Then we have to take on even more salary on a cap dump...easy no.

I may be in the minority, but I have zero interest in seeing Ryan in the Blue Note.

For what it's worth, Ryan is a RW which Blues fans have been saying is a need all season (might not be anymore if ya'll think a guy like Kyrou could step in).

Not defending the deal, I think you guys would be crazy to take Ryan right now, but he probably fills a need/is an upgrade if we're speaking strictly of on-ice performance.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

You misspelled majority

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
For what it's worth, Ryan is a RW which Blues fans have been saying is a need all season (might not be anymore if ya'll think a guy like Kyrou could step in).

Not defending the deal, I think you guys would be crazy to take Ryan right now, but he probably fills a need/is an upgrade if we're speaking strictly of on-ice performance.
My apologies, I thought Ryan played LW. Still, to your point, he'd probably be a 3rd RW if Kyrou pans out like we all believe over the remainder of Ryan's contract. I fully suspect that the theme for the Blues this off season is to try and get younger and faster, because almost all Blues fans note how slow we look compared to the current remaining playoff teams in the West. Ryan is probably about 4 years too old to fit the core going forward given the length of his contract. Steen will most likely be the elder statesman of the team with a decent gap to the rest of the team in age.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That's nuts.

The only justification for not doing that would be if Karlsson straight up wouldn't extend with MTL.

If Ottawa is drunk enough to offer Karlsson for the 3rd overall, MTL should take it and run. Karlsson is 28 and most years is the best defender in the league. At 3rd, MTL gets Zadina, Tkachuk, or one of the many D prospects available. If absolutely EVERYTHING goes right, a few years down the line MTL might have a 1st liner, or a top pairing D out of that pick. Where as, if EVERYTHING goes right with Karlsson, that's a perpetual Norris candidate for the next 8 seasons who'll out produce most 1st line forwards in the league, let alone defenders.

Karlsson is not the type of player that is going to decline over night. Even if he loses a step, there's no reason he shouldn't remain a top 5 defender for the majority of his next contract.
Not to me it isn't. Think about it. Who would you rather have? A 28 year old Karlsson at 10 million. Or a 18 year old Hossa on entry level contract?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not to me it isn't. Think about it. Who would you rather have? A 28 year old Karlsson at 10 million. Or a 18 year old Hossa on entry level contract?

Here's a list of 3rd overall NHL draft picks....

Heiskanen
Dubois
(edit) D.Strome
Draisaitl
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Huberdeau
Duchene
Bogosian
Turris
Toews
J.Johnson
Barker
Horton
Bouwmeester

How many of those players would you take at 18 over a 28 year old Karlsson? Toews, Draisaitl, and Duchene are probably the only three that should be in the conversation.

I can't even wrap my head around that outside of Karl not extending, somebody wouldn't give up a 3rd overall pick for Erik Karlsson. Typically, the kind of player on the board at 3 will be someone who has a chance to be a superstar, but probably falls into that low end 1st line/high end 2nd line type career path. Absolutely insane that someone wouldn't give that up for Erik Karlsson despite Karlsson being older.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Heiskanen
Puljujarvi
Dubois
Draisaitl
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Huberdeau
Duchene
Bogosian
Turris
Toews
J.Johnson
Barker
Horton
Bouwmeester

How many of those players would you take at 18 over a 28 year old Karlsson? Toews, Draisaitl, and Duchene are probably the only three that should be in the conversation.

I can't even wrap my head around that outside of Karl not extending, somebody wouldn't give up a 3rd overall pick for Erik Karlsson. Typically, the kind of player on the board at 3 will be someone who has a chance to be a superstar, but probably falls into that low end 1st line/high end 2nd line type career path. Absolutely insane that someone wouldn't give that up for Erik Karlsson despite Karlsson being older.
Svechnikov is better than most of those. Don't post false comparisons!

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

Heiskanen
Puljujarvi
Dubois
Draisaitl
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Huberdeau
Duchene
Bogosian
Turris
Toews
J.Johnson
Barker
Horton
Bouwmeester

I think Karlsson has become quite underrated on these boards. 28 is super young for a player like Karlsson, he’s likely to play at a high level for another 10 years. At his age Keith had just won his first of three cups and Lidstrom hadn’t even won a Norris yet. Chara was still a Senator at 28 years old and look what he’s accomplished since then. The rules are different for dmen like Karlsson, they can play for a really long time. Pretty much everything that could go wrong for EK did go wrong this year and he still led the league in ppg for dmen.

The only player on your list should be Toews in my opinion. Karlsson still has another 3-4 Norris trophies in him and if the sens trade him it’s going to be a long time till they recover. 13 years later and Chara would still be playing top 4 minutes for the sens if they had signed him way back when, I think a similar thing would happen with Karlsson.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
What would you want for Pageau/Dzingel from Edmonton?

Dzingel is exactly the type of player Edmonton should be targeting but there's too much risk involved at this juncture of time, since he's a UFA after next season. Realistically, the Oilers should be all over Hoffman. He's signed for the next two years at a modest cap hit and has the speed necessary to play with McDavid. The 10th overall for Hoffman straight-up gets it done imo.

Reactions: Duncstar

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
As a Sens fan, I really hope the Leafs acquire Ceci. You're better off just signing some UFA out of Europe.

I think Babcock can make something out of him and he'd shore up the bottom pairing in the meantime. Would still need to find someone for the top RD spot though.

Pageau would also be a good add for the 3rd line but I expect the Sens would want an overpayment to move him in the division.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Heiskanen
Puljujarvi
Dubois
Draisaitl
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Huberdeau
Duchene
Bogosian
Turris
Toews
J.Johnson
Barker
Horton
Bouwmeester

A team that already has over $13m tied up in RD. Can't afford to give $11m+ to another single defender. Smarter to spend that money elsewhere and use the 3rd on a cost-controlled asset that can contribute offensively right away on an ELC.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

Heiskanen
Puljujarvi
Dubois
Draisaitl
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Huberdeau
Duchene
Bogosian
Turris
Toews
J.Johnson
Barker
Horton
Bouwmeester

Your list should have Dylan Strome instead of Puljujarvi, but your point is still good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad