GDT: Ottawa Senators at Dallas Stars - 8PM - TSN5 / RDS - No worries. Everything is bigger in Texas, including slumps ...and Daddy is home.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
These guys need a players only meeting if they lose tonight, but they'll probably invite DJ to it anyway.
We really need an Owner-POHO meeting to decide on who will be the next head coach of the team.

He is, not sure about the other poster, guess because fighter, assumed slow.
In the preseason he looked slow on one shift I saw but that was not a true indication of his top end speed.

Why is MacEwen sitting out? I know he is not anything more than a 4th line enforcer and physical player, but the other 4th liners don;'t contribute all that much more. I like the concept of having some bigger tougher players on the 4th line and liked the look of Kastelic with MacEwen.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
IMO there is so much work to do .. coaching yes, front office yes, roster yes. Get on with it.
I think that bolded part is what’s getting to many of us. Like we’re just stuck spinning our wheels until a GM gets hired which may not happen till offseason…do something!

When it is time for Djs interview, he should just go up to the mic, fart into it and walk off.
I think that would be more substantial than anything he’s been parroting out the past two months

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
IMO there is so much work to do .. coaching yes, front office yes, roster yes. Get on with it.
100% agree! I just don't understand the delay, as if waiting improves anything. This crazy premise that Staios can't hire a coach until we have a new GM in place is so frustrating. What rule book is that from? We have a coaching staff (not just DJ) that has delivered zero improvement over 5+ years. Sens have missed the playoffs (counting this year) for 7 straight. Worse, IMO so many players who started out strong have regressed. I don't care what label we slap on this required fix process, but it is obvious that much change is required to improve the play if not the culture and attitude of this team. Why not invest the balance of what is very likely to be a wasted year to deliver change? Waiting out the year before making substantial changes just seems like a horrible waste of time. Does anybody really believe DJ and company are in the future cards of this team, seriously? I would rather know the team is closer to firing on all cylinder out of the gate next year than just starting to change over the summer only to find they have not found any form early next season. Truly mystifying.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They don’t have a lot of options for replacing DJ
There are a lot of options for replacing DJ; however, many of them are not desirable and there will be more better options in the off-season. An interim HC would be fine, with a directive to work on improving the play of the team without the puck.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
100% agree! I just don't understand the delay, as if waiting improves anything. This crazy premise that Staios can't hire a coach until we have a new GM in place is so frustrating. What rule book is that from? We have a coaching staff (not just DJ) that has delivered zero improvement over 5+ years. Sens have missed the playoffs (counting this year) for 7 straight. Worse, IMO so many players who started out strong have regressed. I don't care what label we slap on this required fix process, but it is obvious that much change is required to improve the play if not the culture and attitude of this team. Why not invest the balance of the what is very likely to be a wasted year to deliver change? Waiting out the year before making substantial changes just seems like a horrible waste of time. Does anybody really believe DJ and company are in the future cards of this team, seriously? I would rather know the team be closer to firing on all cylinder out of the gate next year than just starting to change over the summer only to find they have not found any form early next season. Truly mystifying.
Been saying this for weeks now. They're actually gonna throw away an entire season because God forbid you appoint an interim HC while you wait until the offseason to hire your GM and front office staff. Absolutely f***ing bizarre. The guy from Minnesota is out there and would probably be thrilled to coach for the rest of the year. The guy from Edmonton is out there and would probably be thrilled to coach for the rest of the year. Many guys are out there and ready for any opportunity to be a HC.

Messaging: "We're appointing an interim HC today as we believe this group is capable of achieving much more. We thank DJ and his staff for their service and wish him the best in his future endeavours. At this time, [interim HC] will assume the duties for the rest of the season. Once we've completed our offseason search for the best GM candidate to guide us through our next phase, we'll give them full autonomy to decide who should be the head coach for this team."

What the f*** is so difficult about that?

Reactions: WallyD

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Been saying this for weeks now. They're actually gonna throw away an entire season because God forbid you appoint an interim HC while you wait until the offseason to hire your GM and front office staff. Absolutely f***ing bizarre. The guy from Minnesota is out there and would probably be thrilled to coach for the rest of the year. The guy from Edmonton is out there and would probably be thrilled to coach for the rest of the year. Many guys are out there and ready for any opportunity to be a HC.

Messaging: "We're appointing an interim HC today as we believe this group is capable of achieving much more. We thank DJ and his staff for their service and wish him the best in his future endeavours. At this time, [interim HC] will assume the duties for the rest of the season. Once we've completed our offseason search for the best GM candidate to guide us through our next phase, we'll give them full autonomy to decide who should be the head coach for this team."

What the f*** is so difficult about that?
Most interim coaches for the year are promoted from within, not many agree to come in for 3-4 months.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Most interim coaches for the year are promoted from within, not many agree to come in for 3-4 months.
Give 2 years 3.5 to Berube to come here and if the new GM absolutely cannot work with him
Replace him next year and lose 3.5
We have done worst money wise with the likes of Ryan, Zaisiev, Stepan, Brown , and the list goes on and on and on
There's a good chance Berube stays 2 years here

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Agree with @BankStreetParade here... There are likely many (much more capable) potential interim coaches who would be willing treat the balance of the year as a PTO to prove their value. The new GM can decide to make it permanent or look elsewhere. The futile, pointless, wasteful if not insane option is to continue to expect different results from DJ and company.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Give 2 years 3.5 to Berube to come here and if the new GM absolutely cannot work with him
We have done worst money wise with the likes of Ryan, Zaisiev, Stepan, Brown , and the list goes on and on and on
If Staios hired Berube/X as HC for 2 or 3 years, and then hired a GM, I would think Staios would be smart enough to ask all GM candidates if they would be happy and able to work with Berube/X as the HC, and only hire one that agreed whole-heartedly to do so. Otherwise it would be stupidity to hire a person as the new GM who was not happy/able to work with Berube.

I think the most important hire is the person who will be in charge of roster development (contract & cap management, trading, drafting, player development, etc.). I think that is the GM position; but we don't know how roles will be defined with both a POHO and a GM in the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Sens have tried to do coaching on the cheap for many years, especially in the Melnyk era. I'm amazed when I see professional teams willing to throw bazillions at the player roster decide to go the cheap route on coaching. Weird too considering coaching does not impact salary cap. I'm not suggesting teams should not be judicious, piss away money hiring the most expensive coach available. That said, surely some of a coach's competive (perceived) market value is derived from reality, a proven track record. A solid coach produces greater value than the sum of the individual players parts. IMO Sens coaching has been bass-ackwards there for years, delivered much less than expectations. Rather fruitless to expect improvement when you are willing to endlessly accept mediocrity, or worse.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Feels like they are playing a joke on DJ
I mean it’s impossible to blow the coverage this bad in the NHL
They are world class player
How is it possible ?
They are broken I mean
You would be benched for 5 shifts in PEE-WEE if you’d do that

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Feels like they are playing a joke on DJ
I mean it’s impossible to blow the coverage this bad in the NHL
They are world class player
How is it possible ?
They are broken I mean
You would be bench for 5 shifts in PEE-WEE if you’d do that
Some teams play man on man in D zone, some play a zone defense, that was generally man on man. Even though I thought we changed from man to zone coverage .

twitter rendering is working again
In the last hour?
Lots of complaints about it this afternoon on mains and other threads.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Some teams play man on man in D zone, some play a zone defense, that was generally man on man. Even though I thought we changed from man to zone coverage .

In the last hour?
Lots of complaints about it this afternoon on mains and other threads.
That was man on man?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm all for firing the coach, but how do you guys explain that the special teams used to be good under the same coach just last year? It can't be just on the coach.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
View attachment 784390
Bodes well for the Sens next game
Does it? Don’t know that we can score 4 straight to come back and win.

I'm all for firing the coach, but how do you guys explain that the special teams used to be good under the same coach just last year? It can't be just on the coach.
Something like special teams needs changes. Other teams are watching tape on what you did that worked and adapting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad