Ottawa Fury FC 2014 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I assume both players are free agents, as the European season is in full throttle, Marco Ramos has only played 5 games in the last 3 years, Laurent Lanteri, has played 42 games in the last 3 seasons. I think there are better players out there. I'm sure there are players in the NASL that would want to come and play for the Fury after seeing the facilities here.

I'm hoping we take advantage of the real amenities edge we have for the next year or two.

It won't last though. Tons of teams just announced upgrades and renovations to their facilities in the past few months (Tampa Bay, Ft Lauderdale in particular are getting millions in renos to their stadiums). Gotta hit while the metal is hot so to speak. Once everyone is up to a similar facilities standard then it'll be back to "why would I go to Ottawa" just like in every other sport.

That being said I would not be opposed to moving forward with primarily the same core (Ryan, Heinemann, Donatelli, Peiser, Gorrick etc...) while switching out some of the supporting cast. This team has some solid talent and was just starting to show its true capabilities in the past 6-7 games.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
It's a FURY FC GAME DAY!

FC Edmonton @ Fury FC (3PM)

TD Place

Canadian derby! Time to play spoiler.

TV: Rogers 22
Online Stream: NASL Live
Radio: TSN 1200

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Missing my first home game of the season will see if i can catch it on NASL live, but the beach is calling 80f here

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
How was the first season like? How did the team progress (or did it??)?

I'm curious because MDS was a good coach here.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
How was the first season like? How did the team progress (or did it??)?

I'm curious because MDS was a good coach here.

So far so good.

Disappointing first season on the field without a doubt. The crew MDS assembled looked phenomenal on paper and underperformed in my opinion. We had (have) plenty of talent and I hope to see the likes of Peiser, Donatelli, Dantas and Jarun back in the lineup next year. Resigning Ryan for 2 more years was a great move; he's a player who has brought tremendous talent and leadership to the team and should be a franchise player for as long as he's able (he played in the English Premier League for goodness sake). Overall I've been very happy with Dos Santos' coaching style. Obviously he still has issues to iron out with his group but I'm confident with a few key signings he'll bring it together next year. It's easy to forget how much transition this team went through this year outside of actual games (all kinds of moving around, practices in weird spots, waiting for TD Place etc...). I have no doubt it takes away from the concentration of the players.

As for NASL, it's a great fun to watch league with good competition and tons of talent. Honestly some teams (Minnesota, San Antonio, New York) would easily be very competitive in the MLS and I think with further expansion of NASL next year to include Jacksonville (already 4000+ season ticket sales before even a single player was signed) and Virginia/Oklahoma the next, we are seeing much greater pressure on MLS. Hell New York Cosmos just signed one of the most well known players in the history of the game, Raul. This guy dominated both for Real Madrid and the Spanish national team and now he plays in the NASL, NOT MLS. Yes of course he's getting older, but him and Senna are huge names that really illustrate that NASL is no minor league by any stretch. Carolina Railhawks crushed LA Galaxy, Chivas USA and several other MLS teams in the U.S. Open Cup as another example of the competitiveness and growing quality of the league.

I had a phenomenal time this season with the Fury. I went to one game in September and was hooked attending 3 more before season's end. Great complement to the Ottawa pro sports landscape and I can't wait for next year already. Canada Cup games against MLS teams, international friendlies etc... will really add to TD Place's vibe.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
It's a FURY FC GAME DAY!

Last game of the season for the Fury.

Fort Lauderdale v Ottawa Fury.

Online Stream: NASL Live
Radio: CFRA 580

Richie Ryan suspended, Tom Heinneman injured

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Fort Lauderdale 1 Ottawa Fury 1 final

Ottawa took the lead through Patterson after 18 mins and were holding out until Eustaquio received a red card in 54th min after that Ottawa defended as nest as they could and held out until the 86th min when the Strikers equalised.
The Strikers did not push the game as the one point was enough for them to qualify for the playoffs, Ottawa finished the combined seasons in 8th spot out of 10 teams.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Fort Lauderdale 1 Ottawa Fury 1 final

Ottawa took the lead through Patterson after 18 mins and were holding out until Eustaquio received a red card in 54th min after that Ottawa defended as nest as they could and held out until the 86th min when the Strikers equalised.
The Strikers did not push the game as the one point was enough for them to qualify for the playoffs, Ottawa finished the combined seasons in 8th spot out of 10 teams.

Glad they didn't finish last.
Now to make a push for the playoffs next year.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
It was a great year, I went to all but one game which i had to miss because i was moving.

Takeaways:

They never really got blown out all year - except the game at carolina.
They managed to be competitive in their first year.
They assembled a good group of guys
The coaching staff is really looking superb
The fans showed up...sort of.
The supporters culture is getting better
Team needs more exposure
Tickets are too expensive.
Supporters groups need more support from the club. (how hard would it be to post the lyrics of songs on the big board?)
More promotional days. Get fans in the door they will come back.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
It was a great year, I went to all but one game which i had to miss because i was moving.

Takeaways:

They never really got blown out all year - except the game at carolina.
They managed to be competitive in their first year.
They assembled a good group of guys
The coaching staff is really looking superb
The fans showed up...sort of.
The supporters culture is getting better
Team needs more exposure
Tickets are too expensive.
Supporters groups need more support from the club. (how hard would it be to post the lyrics of songs on the big board?)
More promotional days. Get fans in the door they will come back.

I agree with all of that.

The number of points we lost in the last minute of games... that really hurt us.

I, for one, will be renewing my season tickets. Hopefully, the people sitting behind me will not renew their season tickets. Most annoying fans ever. two of them didn't understand anything that was going on, kept ragging on the team when passing back to the D or the goaltender (duh it's soccer not hockey) and the other dude kept doing a weird play by play in a low raspy voice.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I wasn't sure if I would be going to more than a game or two but I ended up going to 5 so I'll definitely be picking up season's tickets for next year! :nod:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I need to get me one of these bad boys

yhst-139120593060680_2329_903196

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
4 players released by the Fury

The Fury decided not to exercise contract options for defenders Ramon Soria and Kenny Caceros, as well as forward Pierre-Rudolph Mayard.

The club also decided not to re-sign striker Vini Dantas, who scored the first goal in club history after stepping in for injured striker Tommy Heinemann to start the season.

Surprised about Dantas, much more skilled than Heinemann but not so much a goal scorer, but he will go down in Fury history as scoring the very first goal in Fury history.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/11/26/fury-axe-four-from-roster

As of today, November 26, 2014, Fury FC have the following players under contract:

GK – Romauld Peiser
D – Omar Jarun
D – Mason Trafford
M – Richie Ryan
M – Nicki Paterson
F – Tom Heinemann

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/de...3ejgg214lo/fury-fc-roster-update#.VHa_g8mEd8E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad