Ottawa Fury FC 2014 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Thought that since we are in the midst of pre-season it might be best to start up a real season thread for the Fury.

LAST GAME: Ottawa Fury FC (NASL; Div. 2) vs. York University Lions (CSL)
Fury win 2-1

NEXT GAME: Ottawa Fury FC (NASL; Div. 2) @ Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO; Div. 3) - Friday March 21; 1pm EST
PAETEC_Park_overview.JPG

Projects Lineup

Keeper: Gorrick
Defence: Trafford - Maykon - Fresenga
Mid-field: Paterson - Ryan - Ubiparipovic - Eustaquio
Forwards: Haworth - Mayard - Heinemann

More: http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/de...ason-preview-vs-rochester-rhinos#.UyxOlfl_vaU

I know a bunch of people from the supporters groups are taking a big bus down to form the away section at this game. No radio or TV coverage for this pre-season friendly but the Fury FC Twitter will have play by play updates.

Will be interesting to see if the team can up the intensity after Manager Dos Santos called them out for 'lack of intensity' in the last preseason. This will be a real test as Rochester is a force in the Div. 3 USL. A lot of experience on that roster and they'll be looking to show us up.

Hopefully the lads can keep up the winning as the season approaches.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Thought that since we are in the midst of pre-season it might be best to start up a real season thread for the Fury.

LAST GAME: Ottawa Fury FC (NASL; Div. 2) vs. York University Lions (CSL)
Fury win 2-1

NEXT GAME: Ottawa Fury FC (NASL; Div. 2) @ Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO; Div. 3) - Friday March 21; 1pm EST
PAETEC_Park_overview.JPG

Projects Lineup

Keeper: Gorrick
Defence: Trafford - Maykon - Fresenga
Mid-field: Paterson - Ryan - Ubiparipovic - Eustaquio
Forwards: Haworth - Mayard - Heinemann

More: http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/de...ason-preview-vs-rochester-rhinos#.UyxOlfl_vaU

I know a bunch of people from the supporters groups are taking a big bus down to form the away section at this game. No radio or TV coverage for this pre-season friendly but the Fury FC Twitter will have play by play updates.

Will be interesting to see if the team can up the intensity after Manager Dos Santos called them out for 'lack of intensity' in the last preseason. This will be a real test as Rochester is a force in the Div. 3 USL. A lot of experience on that roster and they'll be looking to show us up.

Hopefully the lads can keep up the winning as the season approaches.

What is the USL compared to the NASL?

Is Div 3 in the USL comparable to Div 2 in the NASL?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
What is the USL compared to the NASL?

Is Div 3 in the USL comparable to Div 2 in the NASL?

Both form part of the American (North American really) soccer pyramid. Like in other soccer federations elsewhere (i.e. England), it is divided into various divisional levels. For example, in the English soccer system, there are 4 divisions (levels): Premier League at the top, then the Championship, then Division 1, and Division 2 at the bottom. Each level has about 20-25 teams each, and they all technically play in the same 'league' so to speak. In Europe and elsewhere, it is typical for there to be a promotion/relegation function to each of the divisions. So for example, the bottom 3 premier league clubs in the standings each year get relegated down to Championship, and the top 3 clubs in Championship are promoted to take their place.

The same sort of thing (minus the promotion/relegation bit) is being built here in North America.

MLS is at the top of the pyramid, NASL is the second level, and USL Pro is the third level. So NASL and USL Pro are Divs. 2 and 3 of the American soccer pyramid below MLS. This isn't a farm system in any way. These are separate leagues that fulfill the steps of the pyramid in a meaningful way. While the Ottawa Fury will play their regular season against NASL opponents, they are technically in the same league as the MLS and USL Pro clubs. In the case of the American teams, everyone will get a chance to play against one another during the U.S. Open Cup (domestic championship knock-out tournament) where the winner get's a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League tournament played annually by the best clubs of North America, the Carribean, and Central America (Like UEFA Champions League in Europe). The winner of CONCACAF CL then get's a berth playing in the FIFA World Club Cup (this year's winner was Bayern Munich)...so you get the idea. In Canada, we have the Voyageur's Cup which is contested annually by us, Edmonton FC (both NASL clubs), and TFC, Vancouver Whitecaps, and Montreal Impact (MLS). Winner get's a berth in CONCACAF same as the U.S. Open Cup winner.

This is what makes global soccer so fascinating. Once you're 'in the system' so to speak as a divisional professional club, you are instantly connected to all other pro teams on the face of the Earth in one way or another. To put it in perspective, if the Fury play really damn well and win the Voyageur's Cup and then win CONCACAF, then they have a slight chance of playing Manchester United or Barcelona or some other famous club (if they themselves qualify as well). Pretty incredible to think about. It's also not that far-fetched for Div. 2 teams to win out and go all the way. Montreal Impact won the Voyageur's Cup as an NASL team in 2008 and went to the quarter-finals in CONCACAF the following year. NASL San Antonio Scorpions is undefeated against MLS teams in pre-season and Open Cup play.

To be Div. 2 is not an insult, nor does it imply we aren't professional. We are as professional as Manchester United. We may have a smaller budget, but we're in the 'system' now, and that's what makes me more excited about Fury than even the Redblacks.

Sorry to talk your ear off, it's just something that really interests me and makes me real excited for a pro soccer team in Ottawa. :nod:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Fury up 1-0

Oliver Minatel converts the penalty to give Fury FC the 1-0 lead

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
:handclap: Minatel is gonna be a real asset at forward for us. Great to see him getting rewarded for his hustle with a penalty there.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Unfortunately it is not a true pyramid system as there is no promotion or relegation like in most countries.
The only way to get to the top is to buy your way in like Beckham did in Miami. Ottawa had to buy in to get into the NASL.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Both form part of the American (North American really) soccer pyramid. Like in other soccer federations elsewhere (i.e. England), it is divided into various divisional levels. For example, in the English soccer system, there are 4 divisions (levels): Premier League at the top, then the Championship, then Division 1, and Division 2 at the bottom. Each level has about 20-25 teams each, and they all technically play in the same 'league' so to speak. In Europe and elsewhere, it is typical for there to be a promotion/relegation function to each of the divisions. So for example, the bottom 3 premier league clubs in the standings each year get relegated down to Championship, and the top 3 clubs in Championship are promoted to take their place.

The same sort of thing (minus the promotion/relegation bit) is being built here in North America.

MLS is at the top of the pyramid, NASL is the second level, and USL Pro is the third level. So NASL and USL Pro are Divs. 2 and 3 of the American soccer pyramid below MLS. This isn't a farm system in any way. These are separate leagues that fulfill the steps of the pyramid in a meaningful way. While the Ottawa Fury will play their regular season against NASL opponents, they are technically in the same league as the MLS and USL Pro clubs. In the case of the American teams, everyone will get a chance to play against one another during the U.S. Open Cup (domestic championship knock-out tournament) where the winner get's a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League tournament played annually by the best clubs of North America, the Carribean, and Central America (Like UEFA Champions League in Europe). The winner of CONCACAF CL then get's a berth playing in the FIFA World Club Cup (this year's winner was Bayern Munich)...so you get the idea. In Canada, we have the Voyageur's Cup which is contested annually by us, Edmonton FC (both NASL clubs), and TFC, Vancouver Whitecaps, and Montreal Impact (MLS). Winner get's a berth in CONCACAF same as the U.S. Open Cup winner.

This is what makes global soccer so fascinating. Once you're 'in the system' so to speak as a divisional professional club, you are instantly connected to all other pro teams on the face of the Earth in one way or another. To put it in perspective, if the Fury play really damn well and win the Voyageur's Cup and then win CONCACAF, then they have a slight chance of playing Manchester United or Barcelona or some other famous club (if they themselves qualify as well). Pretty incredible to think about. It's also not that far-fetched for Div. 2 teams to win out and go all the way. Montreal Impact won the Voyageur's Cup as an NASL team in 2008 and went to the quarter-finals in CONCACAF the following year. NASL San Antonio Scorpions is undefeated against MLS teams in pre-season and Open Cup play.

To be Div. 2 is not an insult, nor does it imply we aren't professional. We are as professional as Manchester United. We may have a smaller budget, but we're in the 'system' now, and that's what makes me more excited about Fury than even the Redblacks.

Sorry to talk your ear off, it's just something that really interests me and makes me real excited for a pro soccer team in Ottawa. :nod:

Great write up! Thanks a lot..

I do follow the premier league a bit so I do understand their system, just wasn't to sure how it worked here.

Very cool that we get to join in the "Club World Cup" competition. I do remember when Montreal won the Canada title a few years back, seemed like it was a really neat thing to be a part of.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Great write up! Thanks a lot..

I do follow the premier league a bit so I do understand their system, just wasn't to sure how it worked here.

Very cool that we get to join in the "Club World Cup" competition. I do remember when Montreal won the Canada title a few years back, seemed like it was a really neat thing to be a part of.

Keep an eye on the team in early Spring. We play our first Voyageur's Cup game against our NASL rivals FC Edmonton on April 23rd at home! The journey begins...Here's the schedule and more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Canadian_Championship

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
How's the game looking? Anyone?

It's not being televised so unfortunately we need to rely on the Fury FC twitter feed for updates. Also a few of the supporter's groups made the journey down and have been posting pictures and updates as well on their respective twitters: Stony Monday Riot & Bytown Boys SC.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Starting XI was G - DeBellis; D - Alonso, Beckie, Jarun, Trafford; M - Ryan, Ubiparipovic, Davies; F - Heinemann, Minatel, Haworth

So I believe they're rocking a 4 - 3 - 3.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Looks like Gorrick just replaced DeBellis in net. Really pleased with that pickup for our back end. Gorrick brings such a wealth of experience and will be a good mentor for the young DeBellis. I bet he will be our starter over Bush on day 1.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
It might be cold in the air, but things are heating up on the pitch between Fury FC and Rhinos ... still 1-1

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
SUBS IN - LeRoy, Donatelli, Eustaquio, Mayard; OUT - Fresenga, Jarun, Ubiparipovic, Heinemann #OFFC #PresSeason

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
A little bit off topic, but I heard that if a city got a NASL team the MLS was likely to follow. Is that true? Is it more likely now that Ottawa would get a MSL team in the near future?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
A little bit off topic, but I heard that if a city got a NASL team the MLS was likely to follow. Is that true? Is it more likely now that Ottawa would get a MSL team in the near future?

It is more likely, but the cost of making the jump has skyrocketed in the past few years since the Montreal Impact moved from NASL to MLS in terms of expansions fees and all that. I wouldn't expect it too soon but it definitely makes for a better overall possibility now.

The real difference will be crowd size and fan intensity. If both are high, the chances of a jump are even greater!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad