Confirmed with Link: Ottawa "fans" believe the hype and go over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This is hilarious. I can't believe anyone can still have such a pro-Melynk stance at this stage of the game.

Not pro anyone, just a little commonsense.

You and others can believe all you want the a NHL GM and the Owner are blathering lunatics all you want, I choose not to.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It just amazes me that there are some people in this world that no matter how many clues they get they still deny the reality until it hits them right in the face.

Cognitive Dissonance is a very, very real thing.

The funny thing too, is that people who exhibit signs of Cognitive Dissonance will deny that they exhibit signs of cognitive dissonance, due to cognitive dissonance. It's a fun circle.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
OR maybe the GM and Owner are not a stupid as some "fans" would have you believe, and did not see a "Hockey trade" come across the desk that made sense for the future plan going forward.

I would suggest to all those who are focusing their energy into hating the Owner and "sending him a message" with boycotting home games, erecting a billboard or whatever .......... would be much better served by buying tickets to as many of the remaining they can afford to, and make it known they want the team to extend Karlsson's contract by in game chants, signs and whatever means to send their feeling about EK65 to management.

why not start a #resignEK65 or #pleaseStayEK65 campaign or something like that?

The Karlsson situation is a symptom of the disease. The owner is the cancer.

Buying tickets just feeds the cancer.

#Melnykout

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
...because they're star players and therefore garner a lot of media attention. The media will always do what they do, it's their job. I think you answered your own question.

Any news on Tavares last week. Nope. He is a star player and a pending UFA.

The fact that some fans don't see a pattern here with this management team and their leaks to the media shows that some people are so out of touch.

Seems like we some people here that are bigger fans of Dorion/Melnyk than they are of the hockey team.

Reactions: Boud

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Not pro anyone, just a little commonsense.

You and others can believe all you want the a NHL GM and the Owner are blathering lunatics all you want, I choose not to.

giphy.gif

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Any news on Tavares last week. Nope. He is a star player and a pending UFA.

The fact that some fans don't see a pattern here with this management team and their leaks to the media shows that some people are so out of touch.

Seems like we some people here that are bigger fans of Dorion/Melnyk than they are of the hockey team.
At no point have I defended Melnyk. If you re-read my post you'll notice that I reference him as the problem.

On Tavares...he was big news...at last year's deadline. At this point the Islanders are trying to keep him, trying to prove they can win and that he should stay to be part of the solution. We'll see what he decides but there really isn't any news here. They aren't shopping him (or listening to offers as the Sens put it). That ship has sailed...

That said, if Tavares doesn't stay they will have lost him for nothing and it will set that franchise back 5-10 years.

On Karlsson, the fact that the Sens were considering trading him really came out of the blue for many and the expected media/fan frenzy ensued. This really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Now if you want to talk about WHY they're thinking about trading him then that's a different discussion, one that I think we agree on - Melnyk.

That said, me understanding why the media/fan frenzy happened and not laying it at Dorion's feet doesn't make me a "fan boy" or a "blind supporter". Please don't present me as one.

Reactions: Smash88

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anyone else sick of all the threads about Karlsson being traded, can't they be incorporated into one. There are 19 other guys on the team we can talk about too.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone else sick of all the threads about Karlsson being traded, can't they be incorporated into one. There are 19 other guys on the team we can talk about too.
I thought this thread was about the "fans" and the posters showing emotion to the very real possibility that a superstar defensemen was going to be traded... if the right deal came along. And the OP thought that was somehow a funny or a dumb reaction. It was dumb of the "fans" to lend any credibility at all to the reports from all the sports stations and hockey insiders that a Karlsson trade was a very real possibility and that several teams were making substantial offers. It was dumb of "fans" to speculate what those offers might be. It was dumb of "fans" to speculate that there was a possibility that the expected Karlsson ask was going to be too much for the miserly Melnyk to pay. I'm pretty sure that's what the thread is about...

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
OR maybe the GM and Owner are not a stupid as some "fans" would have you believe, and did not see a "Hockey trade" come across the desk that made sense for the future plan going forward.

I would suggest to all those who are focusing their energy into hating the Owner and "sending him a message" with boycotting home games, erecting a billboard or whatever .......... would be much better served by buying tickets to as many of the remaining they can afford to, and make it known they want the team to extend Karlsson's contract by in game chants, signs and whatever means to send their feeling about EK65 to management.

Best post in 2 weeks!

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

In that case, it would have to be #re-signEK65... otherwise, you'd get the wrong message across.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
exactly.......... but you'll never be able to convince the "fans" here, as they love to take speculation, put their "hate Melnyk" spin on it and run with that narrative, at full speed, into their echo chamber to advance their narrative.

Yeah, I'm not to be confused as someone who likes Melnyk, far from it. I am definitely on the side that he needs to go.

The point is, if Melnyk wanted Karlsson gone, he would be gone. They would have taken that offer from Vegas.

Sure the "if there's smoke there's fire" thing applies, but I trust both Karlsson and Dorion when they say this whole thing was way overblown.

Dorion put out ridiculous demands on purpose. if those demands were met, maybe they trade him maybe they don't, we don't know. But he was never going to let him go for anything short of a massive haul.

In short, there were so many unknowns to this whole thing, that I'm not exactly sure how people can have this strong of opinions either way.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Cognitive Dissonance is a very, very real thing.

The funny thing too, is that people who exhibit signs of Cognitive Dissonance will deny that they exhibit signs of cognitive dissonance, due to cognitive dissonance. It's a fun circle.
LOL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, I'm not to be confused as someone who likes Melnyk, far from it. I am definitely on the side that he needs to go.

The point is, if Melnyk wanted Karlsson gone, he would be gone. They would have taken that offer from Vegas.

Sure the "if there's smoke there's fire" thing applies, but I trust both Karlsson and Dorion when they say this whole thing was way overblown.

Dorion put out ridiculous demands on purpose. if those demands were met, maybe they trade him maybe they don't, we don't know. But he was never going to let him go for anything short of a massive haul.

In short, there were so many unknowns to this whole thing, that I'm not exactly sure how people can have this strong of opinions either way.

I am not in on their conversations, but I would think Melnyk does use Dorion to evaluate the trade proposal. I think Bruce said something about Melnyk giving Dorion permission to wait until the summer if nothing he liked materialized at the TDL. ..

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I am not in on their conversations, but I would think Melnyk does use Dorion to evaluate the trade proposal. I think Bruce said something about Melnyk giving Dorion permission to wait until the summer if nothing he liked materialized at the TDL. ..
Yeah that was during an intermission against Chicago or Nashville, it made me do a quick take.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I actually don't disagree with a positive message campaign around re-signing Karlsson or him staying.

The problem is it's much easier to get people to act and stay committed out of fear/anger than hope/optimism.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Yeah that was during an intermission against Chicago or Nashville, it made me do a quick take.
Yeah, me too.

At this point I have no doubt that if Karlsson is moved we can all point to Melnyk as the reason why. The reason why doesn't really matter (budget, he's broke, personal spat etc.) but I will have a real hard time supporting this team with my money in the near future and that sucks!!

Reactions: The Lewler

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Assuming we can all agree that Melnyk would probably rather the team do better than worse, it stands to reason that there is always going to be a threshold that needs to be met for the team to be willing to trade Karlsson. I mean, if Melnyk wanted Karlsson gone regardless of the return, we'd could have waived him too, but it's not so much that he might want him gone above all else, but rather that he values a potential return and the budget space a move creates more than the player. Maximizing the return will always be the priority, and presumably, the deadline to do so would be the end of his contract, and not this past trade deadline, so it's logical to believe that if Dorion convinced Melnyk that a better return could be attained in the summer (which many pundits suggested would be the best time to trade him), Melnyk would be open to waiting provided that difference in the potential return was more valuable than the ~2 mil Karlsson is owed for the remainder of the season.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Was that specific to Karlsson or to shipping out players in general?

If it is specific to Karlsson, then I take back everything and yeah Melnyk needs to GTFO ASAP.

But, if it's in general to "rebuilding/re-tooling" then I don't have a problem with that statement.

Reactions: FlapJackKing

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

If it is specific to Karlsson, then I take back everything and yeah Melnyk needs to GTFO ASAP.

But, if it's in general to "rebuilding/re-tooling" then I don't have a problem with that statement.
Specific to Karlsson, it shouldn't be too hard to find, it was one of Bruce's segments in between the periods in one of the games last week.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Specific to Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad