Confirmed with Link: Ottawa "fans" believe the hype and go over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Are you guys as mad about this whole thing as I am? Fire Dorian. This is the last straw. He clearly was shopping Karlsson, and failed to get the trade he wanted, and in doing so he has seriously damaged the prospect Karlsson will re-sign if Dorion's still around. And this after one bad season when they almost made the SCF last year, and it was his choice to let Methot go and not even try to replace him.

And then there's the hockey pundit guys. The panel on the hot stove on HNIC on Saturday. Who all unanimously agreed Karlsson wanted out. Anything for a scoop or to hype the trade deadline, huh? You have Kypreos on Hockey Central today saying, "I never said Karlsson or Pacioretty asked for a trade, all I said was they wanted to be traded". Apparently not even that, Nick.

More than anything, fire Dorion.

Melnyk likes Dorion, because Dorion does what he is told.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It really is bordering on insanity how some posters on this board truly don't believe EK was close to getting shipped out.

They are delusional. It's one thing for the there to be smoke, it's quite another when there's a bonfire the size of the ctc

Dorion himself, said that IF karlsson is still with the team in July, hell offer him a contract.

Karlsson himself said he was nervous about being traded. This organization does not want to pay it's players.

Last edited:

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Are you guys as mad about this whole thing as I am? Fire Dorian. This is the last straw. He clearly was shopping Karlsson, and failed to get the trade he wanted, and in doing so he has seriously damaged the prospect Karlsson will re-sign if Dorion's still around. And this after one bad season when they almost made the SCF last year, and it was his choice to let Methot go and not even try to replace him.

And then there's the hockey pundit guys. The panel on the hot stove on HNIC on Saturday. Who all unanimously agreed Karlsson wanted out. Anything for a scoop or to hype the trade deadline, huh? You have Kypreos on Hockey Central today saying, "I never said Karlsson or Pacioretty asked for a trade, all I said was they wanted to be traded". Apparently not even that, Nick.

More than anything, fire Dorion.

You truly believe Dorion has a say in anything? He’s a yes man who does what daddy Eug tells him to.

He isn’t getting fired anytime soon.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
For sure Dorion was involved in trade talks, he said so himself, he had discussions about every one of the players. But no one can deny that the media didn't go over the top in the coverage. That can be fine too, but just report it, not sensationalize it for clicks and views. It got pretty bad, every panelist or blogger was saying or writing any theory they wanted and passing it as truth, that's where I have a problem.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ya know.....those "fans" going over the edge might be the main reason why Erik is still a Senator today. I don't think Dorion (and Eugene) had the intestinal fortitude to deal with the fallout of trading away The Franchise for some magic beans.

This seems to be exactly what happened. I do still think that the trade was happening, but the asking price may have been raised to avoid a public meltdown. The public meltdown that preceded the deadline was very well deserved.

Whats not deserved is some of the local media and the fanbase that is questioning Karlsson's desire to be here. Who is more genuine here, our GM who has lied on multiple occasions about everything regarding this team, or do we believe our captain who has given everything to this franchise and brought us to within one goal of the Stanley Cup Finals on one leg.

Just based on history, the Melnyk/Dorion duo are not to be trusted, while has there ever been an unloyal Swedish hockey player???

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
But no one can deny that the media didn't go over the top in the coverage.

The Ottawa Senators have been a circus for basically every day this year and it has gone completely ignored by all media, national and local.

The Ottawa Senators created the media circus by, once again, getting the media to do their dirty work and leaking information. Nothing has changed with these clowns that run this organization and nothing will change until they are gone. Pierre Dorion and Eugene Melnyk are at fault for creating the media coverage because they created it.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
The Ottawa Senators have been a circus for basically every day this year and it has gone completely ignored by all media, national and local.

The Ottawa Senators created the media circus by, once again, getting the media to do their dirty work and leaking information.
Nothing has changed with these clowns that run this organization and nothing will change until they are gone. Pierre Dorion and Eugene Melnyk are at fault for creating the media coverage because they created it.
I don't think the Sens leaked much to be honest. We all know they were listening to offers and considered trading him. Almost everything is just speculation as both Dorion and Karlsson eluded to in their pressers.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
So how does the same management group get so unlucky everytime they look at trading a star player? Why does everything with this organization become so public?? Someone is responsible for this.

It's fairly common with all teams. That's why TSN has a trade deadline show every year.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well that's certainly not the most editorialized thread title I've ever read...

Most fans have seen the hype around TDD enough times that they know better than buy into every little thing they hear from supposed "insiders" and tweets about Uber rides and such.

I pointed out over the weekend that Dean Brown cited a study that found only about 8% of rumoured "trades" last year, actually ended up happening.

The same thing will happen next year too.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Until Melnyk sells or somehow changes the way he’s running the team, I remain skeptical.

Karlsson genuinely seems like he wants to stay, but knows it’s probably not the best for his career.

If you’re going to put stock into what Karl said, you also have to consider what Dorion said in his presser. It’s not the most consistent thing in the world.

Karlsson already has enough money to live out his life very comfortably, so his decision to sign an extension, or not, will come down to things like his desire to win a Stanley Cup and where, his quality of life and where he wants to bring up his family and these types of things.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I pointed out over the weekend that Dean Brown cited a study that found only about 8% of rumoured "trades" last year, actually ended up happening.

Dean Brown makes these things up all the time, he quotes some anonymous survey that is completely bogus, he usually gives us a whole explanation while the play is going on. Use your best Dean Brown impersonation and read the following.

"Back in 1998, Johnny Rocket surveys based in St Paul, Minnesota conducted a study by breaking down trade rumours and found that 8.264% of rumours actually come true.........." you get the point.

Sounds like something he would say, doesn't it?? Dean Brown is a blow hard who loves to hear his own voice. His "surveys" do not exist.

Most fans have seen the hype around TDD enough times that they know better than buy into every little thing they hear from supposed "insiders" and tweets about Uber rides and such.

The "Uber ride" thing was a joke and a very obvious one because it never seemed believeable. The "rumours" about the music in the locker room is MUCH more believable because its actually something I could see happening.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

You're forgetting an important point. Perhaps 8% of publicly reported rumors actually turn into an actual trade, but that doesn't mean the rumors are false. GMs talk trade all the time, and there are countless stories of potential trades that were one piece, circumstance or wrinkle away from actually happening.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

McKenzie: Karlsson rumours were true not just click bait

‘’I would say that anybody who would suggest that (The rumors are just click bait) is the biggest dumbass that hasn’t got an ounce of brain power because the reality is, and it continues to be the reality, is that the Ottawa Senators were seriously and actively engaged in trade talks for Erik Karlsson and you can split hairs all day whether they were shopping him or listening or how you want to phrase it but the bottom line is that if the right offer came for Erik Karlsson yesterday, Erik Karlsson would be playing somewhere else and this dance is far from over and it will continue to be an issue going forward.

…. And anybody who would suggest that this story is fabricated, one of the saddest things of a guy that sits in an office in the US is that he’s given the term fake news by a lot of really stupid people who don’t have any ability to see things objectively. Anytime that they hear something reported they don’t like, that they don’t want to have happen, they decide to call that fake news and strip away the credibility of credible people who just basically do their job….

…. For anybody who would suggest that it was click bait, take an IQ test and see if you get over 35.’’

Mckenzie with some harsh words for you guys.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ya know.....those "fans" going over the edge might be the main reason why Erik is still a Senator today. I don't think Dorion (and Eugene) had the intestinal fortitude to deal with the fallout of trading away The Franchise for some magic beans.

OR maybe the GM and Owner are not a stupid as some "fans" would have you believe, and did not see a "Hockey trade" come across the desk that made sense for the future plan going forward.

I would suggest to all those who are focusing their energy into hating the Owner and "sending him a message" with boycotting home games, erecting a billboard or whatever .......... would be much better served by buying tickets to as many of the remaining they can afford to, and make it known they want the team to extend Karlsson's contract by in game chants, signs and whatever means to send their feeling about EK65 to management.

why not start a #resignEK65 or #pleaseStayEK65 campaign or something like that?

Reactions: Cloud

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
So you are saying that its very common for that trade negotiations with Heatley, Spezza and now Karlsson become very public??? Not sure that is the case.

Karlsson is different than Heatley and Spezza.

Karlsson never asked for a trade.

The media got wind that Dorion was listening to offers and ran with it. Every single story about Karlsson getting traded was put out by the media and it was them speculating.

Reactions: IWantMyParade

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
OR maybe the GM and Owner are not a stupid as some "fans" would have you believe, and did not see a "Hockey trade" come across the desk that made sense for the future plan going forward.

I would suggest to all those who are focusing their energy into hating the Owner and "sending him a message" with boycotting home games, erecting a billboard or whatever .......... would be much better served by buying tickets to as many of the remaining they can afford to, and make it known they want the team to extend Karlsson's contract by in game chants, signs and whatever means to send their feeling about EK65 to management.

This is hilarious. I can't believe anyone can still have such a pro-Melynk stance at this stage of the game.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
So how does the same management group get so unlucky everytime they look at trading a star player? Why does everything with this organization become so public?? Someone is responsible for this.
...because they're star players and therefore garner a lot of media attention. The media will always do what they do, it's their job. I think you answered your own question.

The bigger issue for me is why do we have so many star players on the trade block? It seems to happen every couple years and while my question is rhetorical (we know why...) it is definitely a disturbing trend...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
McKenzie: Karlsson rumours were true not just click bait

‘’I would say that anybody who would suggest that (The rumors are just click bait) is the biggest dumbass that hasn’t got an ounce of brain power because the reality is, and it continues to be the reality, is that the Ottawa Senators were seriously and actively engaged in trade talks for Erik Karlsson and you can split hairs all day whether they were shopping him or listening or how you want to phrase it but the bottom line is that if the right offer came for Erik Karlsson yesterday, Erik Karlsson would be playing somewhere else and this dance is far from over and it will continue to be an issue going forward.

…. And anybody who would suggest that this story is fabricated, one of the saddest things of a guy that sits in an office in the US is that he’s given the term fake news by a lot of really stupid people who don’t have any ability to see things objectively. Anytime that they hear something reported they don’t like, that they don’t want to have happen, they decide to call that fake news and strip away the credibility of credible people who just basically do their job….

…. For anybody who would suggest that it was click bait, take an IQ test and see if you get over 35.’’

Mckenzie with some harsh words for you guys.

Dude, you know the usual suspects are just going to claim "fake news" on this, despite the irony.

If there's anything I've learned as I have aged, it's that there's no reasoning with these types of people, and not worth your time arguing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Is this somehow supposed to refute my calling shenanigans on the awful, editorialized, hyperbolic title of this thread?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dude, you know the usual suspects are just going to claim "fake news" on this, despite the irony.

If there's anything I've learned as I have aged, it's that there's no reasoning with these types of people, and not worth your time arguing.

It just amazes me that there are some people in this world that no matter how many clues they get they still deny the reality until it hits them right in the face.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Karlsson is different than Heatley and Spezza.

Karlsson never asked for a trade.

The media got wind that Dorion was listening to offers and ran with it. Every single story about Karlsson getting traded was put out by the media and it was them speculating.

exactly.......... but you'll never be able to convince the "fans" here, as they love to take speculation, put their "hate Melnyk" spin on it and run with that narrative, at full speed, into their echo chamber to advance their narrative.

Reactions: IWantMyParade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad