News Article: Ottawa Citizen - Marketing and Fan base

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Saw another one one of those bus stop ads with Paajarvi.

Still haven’t seen one of our two best forwards...

what other team in the NHL make ads with their 4th line grinder who they picked up off waivers last season and probably shouldn't even be re-signed after this year. why the hell would they do that. what the actual f***

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not living in Ottawa so I can't say anything regarding it, but they must have Stone/Duchene ads around the city. They are using both them in the Ottawa Rising commercials.

If there really isn't any around the city (I'm skeptical, but again I'm a few provinces away) that would be the death knell

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
what other team in the NHL make ads with their 4th line grinder who they picked up off waivers last season and probably shouldn't even be re-signed after this year. why the hell would they do that. what the actual ****
What other team in the NHL makes a propaganda video with the owner calling a #7 d-man a "foundational player" just a few days before trading away a future HOFer?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'm not living in Ottawa so I can't say anything regarding it, but they must have Stone/Duchene ads around the city. They are using both them in the Ottawa Rising commercials.

If there really isn't any around the city (I'm skeptical, but again I'm a few provinces away) that would be the death knell
Stone has one of those vignettes like all the other plugs, but I don't think Duchene does.

This campaign they have right now is literally the only marketing campaign they have going on. They have bus shelt ads and those commercials you see during the broadcasts. Nothing else.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I dont think it was just for season ticket holders. I bought a couple of tickets this year and they sent me one too. All of my answers were to the tune of "Its hard to support the team and get attached if they ship players out right before payday" and "regardless of on ice play, I'd buy season tickets under new owership"

There were actually two different surveys. On another email, not my account that I had tickets sent to, it was a much different, generic survey.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Stone has one of those vignettes like all the other plugs, but I don't think Duchene does.

This campaign they have right now is literally the only marketing campaign they have going on. They have bus shelt ads and those commercials you see during the broadcasts. Nothing else.

Anybody who thinks that the Sens are being run as best as they can be should read this:

Vinik’s vision

Here's a basic summary:

- Payed off team debt
- Hired very experienced sports executives
- Invested 60+ mil in stadium
- Bought/invested in downtown land around arena to increase revenue base
- Giving 10 mil to charity, distributed 50k at a time each game by local hero's

When he purchased the team, it was losing “quite a bit of money,” he said, a financial reality that was factored into the price he paid for the franchise. Now, Vinik says, the losses are in single digits of millions, progress with which he’s pleased.

“If we could break even, make a difference in the community and have a great hockey team all at the same time — I’ll sign up for that formula forever,” he said.

“Any business, or any endeavor, it comes down to the people. If you hire well and have people with integrity who are smart, who are thoughtful, and give them the resources, that’s the path to success for any franchise,” he said. “From my position, I try to provide leadership with just good values and treat people how I would like to be treated. Hire the best people you can, pay them well, give them 100 percent accountability and the best resources, and judge them accordingly.”

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Anybody who thinks that the Sens are being run as best as they can be should read this:

Vinik’s vision

Here's a basic summary:

- Payed off team debt

When he purchased the team, it was losing “quite a bit of money,” he said, a financial reality that was factored into the price he paid for the franchise. Now, Vinik says, the losses are in single digits of millions, progress with which he’s pleased.

“If we could break even, make a difference in the community and have a great hockey team all at the same time — I’ll sign up for that formula forever,” he said.

“Any business, or any endeavor, it comes down to the people. If you hire well and have people with integrity who are smart, who are thoughtful, and give them the resources, that’s the path to success for any franchise,” he said. “From my position, I try to provide leadership with just good values and treat people how I would like to be treated. Hire the best people you can, pay them well, give them 100 percent accountability and the best resources, and judge them accordingly.”

Jeff Vinik: the anti-Melnyk

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Vinik’s vision

Here's a basic summary:

- Payed off team debt

Single tear...

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Jeff Vinik: the anti-Melnyk

Vinik: Buys team knowing it's heavy in debt and losing money. Pays off debt and invests even more money to build new fanbase/revenues. Now almost breaking even.

Melnyk: Buys team knowing it's heavy in debt and losing money. Grows debt and doesn't invest beyond covering loses. Blames lack of new revenues on fanbase. Now losing even more money.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Vinik: Buys team knowing it's heavy in debt and losing money. Pays off debt and invests even more money to build new fanbase/revenues. Now almost breaking even.

Melnyk: Buys team knowing it's heavy in debt and losing money. Grows debt and doesn't invest beyond covering loses. Blames lack of new revenues on fanbase. Now losing even more money.

You know that saying in business “ The customer is always wrong.”

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
That was a niece piece on the Duche. What's the deal with Canadians and country music? How? Why? Why does anyone like it is probably my real question, but even living in Bama - I can't stand it.

Reactions: Flamingo

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That was a niece piece on the Duche. What's the deal with Canadians and country music? How? Why? Why does anyone like it is probably my real question, but even living in Bama - I can't stand it.
New country blows,I like some older stuff ...But yeah it is a mystery as to why people like it so much up here

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

There's a lot they do on social media, that markets the team to fans and potential fans. They also run ads in the two local papers and much much more.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Isnt the point of advertising is that everybody sees it???

No, the point of advertising, in various forms and media, is to get as many potential customers to hear/see/read/listen to your message.

Younger fans, who don't read newspapers, or watch TV will get the Sens Ads elsewhere, such as social media or the bus shelters, for example

The Aging Boomers who read papers, listens to radio stations in their cars and watch TV will probably never see Sens ads on social media or at Bus shelters.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well that's literally impossible, 10% of population is a huge number for advertising.
ie If you don't ride the bus, your not seeing that ad.

And that's why Sports Teams use all mediums to advertise.

For Example, I don't ride the Bus, on a regular basis, but I hear Sens ads on the Radio, see them on TV, see them on Social media, read them in the local papers and hear them on the Radio.

On social media, they run a lot of contests, that seem to be targeted at a younger crowd, in most cases.

Contests & Promotions

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Kids are free tonight with a purchase of adult ticket. Not a bad deal. I also forgot to mention, last week at the Colorado game, our ticket guy gave us another two free tickets...again.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
From the Senators, via Social media

50773191_10156901117904477_2086844052719796224_n.jpg

Marc-Olivier Poulin and Patrick Shipman, two of our employees who aim to establish business relations with the francophone community.

Mop: " my personal goal is to increase the sense of belonging of francophones to senators and to ensure that the team is natural to both English-speaking and French-speaking amateurs in the national capital region. " "

PS: " my dream is to celebrate a victory of the Stanley Cup with my community, in my native language. " "

Marc-Olivier Poulin and Patrick Shipman are two of our employees focused on building business relationships within the francophone community.

MOP: “My personal goal is to grow the sense of belonging of francophones towards the Ottawa Senators and ensure that the team is communicating naturally to our fans as much in French as in English.”

PS: “My dream is to celebrate a Stanley Cup win with my community, in my language.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad