News Article: Ottawa Citizen - Marketing and Fan base

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Lol this was the biggest fluff piece I have ever seen. The girl was a marketing professional for the Fat Cats (lol) and the other guy was never in hockey. They were all affiliated with Eugene before this. Classic internal hiring again.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lol this was the biggest fluff piece I have ever seen. The girl was a marketing professional for the Fat Cats (lol) and the other guy was never in hockey. They were all affiliated with Eugene before this. Classic internal hiring again.

Jaded fanbase won't even give the new people a chance. So why bother marketing?

Reactions: albator71

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It would be so hard to do the marketing this year with the status of Stone, Karlsson and Duchene up in the air. Those are the obvious guys you'd wanna promote and show, but you can't really do any kind of big long running ads with them if they're heading out the door. It would be like that TV ad that ran into the spring last year with Turris scoring an OT winner.

You could promote the young guys but the coach isn't likely to play them and you don't really know who will make it.

Chabot is probably the main guy I'd focus on. You know he has a future here, he's skilled, young, and francophone.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Owner refuses to pay market value for one superstar and two star players. So why bother owning an NHL team?
Owner has limited resources to pay huge up front money on the new contracts. Go watch a game and support your team with your pennies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Owner has limited resources to pay huge up front money on the new contracts. Go watch a game and support your team with your pennies.
Owner made a killing two seasons ago and proceeded to cut salaries for the roster and bragged about cutting hockey ops to the bone. Of course, this is after he promised to spend when the team was competitive.

Sorry champ, but the owner has broken the trust and it is up to him to spend money to win back the fans, not the other way around.

If he can't afford it, then f*** him. Time to sell.

Last edited:

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Lol “give us a chance”

They’ll have to try a bit harder. They did NOTHING to improve this team at all this summer, they’ve only made it worse. They didn’t improve the front office office either, and although Randy Lee was a questionable A-GM, he hasn’t been there all summer and still hasn’t been replaced.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I think the organization could benefit from doing a behind the scenes of the season similar to what was done for HBO's Road to the Winter Classic and NHL's Quest for the Cup. They need to build a story around this season and use key moments to build drama and intrigue for the fans. They should create video clips every week or every month reviewing what unfolded kind of like the Stanley Cup moments done by the LA Kings.

They should also look to build up rivalries with other organizations. They should do something like the UFC countdown's prior to their events. They could do a countdown leading up to every leafs game or other key division rivals. They could use old playoff footage to build rivalries with teams that we have faced in the playoffs such as the Penguins, Rangers, Bruins and Canadiens.

They should do something like NHL Rivals.

Then they should use footage from this season and interviews with players to build the drama further.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I wonder why he has limited resources? How many billionaires actually lose money over a long period of time like Melnyk? Guy can't sell hockey in the Canadian capital and he lost tons of pharmaceuticals of all things. Gotta be one of the worst high profile businessmen in the country.

Reactions: bert and Rand0m

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Then he can't really afford to run an NHL team because thats the current landscape of the league with all teams facing the same circumstances. You could also consider it mismanagement to allow your 4 best players needing to be re-signed as UFA's in the same summer, thus compounding the problem of not being able to afford bonus laden contracts.

They've given us no reason to support them this year. No communication whatsoever with the fan base on direction, no commitment to either a rebuild or attempting to improve the team to be competitive, and essentially their entire core's future is up in the air with our 4 best players being UFA. On top of that we've been led to believe this is a youth movement, but we have the same crotchity coach who up to this point has not shown he will rely on youth.

I have no idea yet why i should be showing up to watch. Is it because we expect to have a competitive team and will lock up our core? Is it because we're having a youth movement to go along with our youngish core? Are we building up to the deadline when we go full scale rebuild dealing our only 4 star players? I just have no idea why i should watch and pay and the organization has left us in the dark for like 6 months. Its their own fault.

Reactions: Danythegod

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lol “give us a chance”

They’ll have to try a bit harder. They did NOTHING to improve this team at all this summer, they’ve only made it worse. They didn’t improve the front office office either, and although Randy Lee was a questionable A-GM, he hasn’t been there all summer and still hasn’t been replaced.

The COO and CMO have little to do with your complaints. I'll give them more time to figure it out. You can go and write them off already

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Eh, it takes energy to downplay everything and argue that everything sucks and will continue to suck.

It takes no energy at all to read the article, enjoy the message, and then sit back and see what they can do. I mean, I like what they said, and if they can deliver, even partially, that's a really big win for the franchise, and for the fans.

It's what we all want in the end, so here's hoping they can deliver.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Eh, it takes energy to downplay everything and argue that everything sucks and will continue to suck.

It takes no energy at all to read the article, enjoy the message, and then sit back and see what they can do. I mean, I like what they said, and if they can deliver, even partially, that's a really big win for the franchise, and for the fans.

It's what we all want in the end, so here's hoping they can deliver.
Nothing either of these employees can do matters whatsoever if the owner won't pay market value for our Star players.

That is the bottom line, no matter how badly you want to spin everything to a positive light.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'd love to kick in some pennies, but I spent them all organizing a tour of the Pontiac Sunfire manufacturing plant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad