Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Then we don’t go further. I’ve said all along that we would mostly nibble at the fringes. If we are going to get into the 2nd + two 3rds category of trade compensation, we may as well go two 2nds + three 3rds and get players of more star profile that would make a higher impact.

The Kingston trades were clearly based on a disgruntled player being traded and replaced at around same cost with same type of player. Same comp in, same comp out.

This highlights a lot of what I have said in general about trades. Don’t look to try to trade a player for a player. Look to get the pick assets and then flip the picks For the player you want. My problem player for your problem player rarely is available.

Budnick wanted to be closer to home and his girlfriend is at university in Guelph. That’s why he wanted out. Not because he was a disgruntled player lol he was the bread and butter on the fronts amazing dressing room guy, blocking shots putting the body on the line every night. That’s why they got a 2nd and 2 3rds for him.

They acquired Schmidt for a few reasons- reason 1- Holmes is out for a bit as he had surgery on something. Reason 2- Chromiak is away for a l month. Reason 3- hes a big strong defensive d man which id exactly what the fronts have been needing. It’s also a good thing we squired him as burns got hurt last night and will be out some time.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Budnick wanted to be closer to home and his girlfriend is at university in Guelph. That’s why he wanted out. Not because he was a disgruntled player lol he was the bread and butter on the fronts amazing dressing room guy, blocking shots putting the body on the line every night. That’s why they got a 2nd and 2 3rds for him.

They acquired Schmidt for a few reasons- reason 1- Holmes is out for a bit as he had surgery on something. Reason 2- Chromiak is away for a l month. Reason 3- hes a big strong defensive d man which id exactly what the fronts have been needing. It’s also a good thing we squired him as burns got hurt last night and will be out some time.

IF not for the trade request (disgruntled or otherwise), there wouldn’t have been any deals at all. That’s the point. This wans't the first domino to fall in a series of trades to compete for the Conference. Some were looking at it is the first move in an effort to make a run. I didn’t see it that way. You pretty much confirm it as such which is helpful.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IF not for the trade request (disgruntled or otherwise), there wouldn’t have been any deals at all. That’s the point. This wans't the first domino to fall in a series of trades to compete for the Conference. Some were looking at it is the first move in an effort to make a run. I didn’t see it that way. You pretty much confirm it as such which is helpful.
Yes definitely not to make a run.

Also from what Kory cooper the fronts gm said it sounds like they wanted some experience on the blue line too and he won a few rounds in Kitchener, got ahl experience for a little bit, some nhl camp experience too to pass onto the young frontenacs d core

Reactions: OMG67

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I think there is a possibility for a hybrid option. What do I mean by that? Well, we focus on next year’s needs when looking at options this year. Sometimes if we fill needs on next years roster, it helps fill in some gaps on this years roster. Niagara did a half decent job at that last year. For example, they made a couple seller moves and then acquired Lavoie. I would argue they paid too much for him but that is the type of move that would make sense for Ottawa.

In that case, the goal would be to move a player like Stonehouse but instead of placing the picks we get him back in the cabinet for a rainy day, we flip them pretty much right away for an 18 year old Centre.

Another option is to look at the Import situation. If we are not serious about Korbler then see if there is an 18 year old out there that we are certain that will return. Release Korbler and acquire his replacement.

Between those two moves, if we acquire a centre and a D-Man capable of playing on the 2nd pairing, we still fill in a couple gaps where we are exposed this year and those gaps being filled carry over to next year’s roster. Less heavy lifting in the offseason.

Then, if we want to acquire an OA forward to help the team this year, we can go do that if one were available at a decent cost.

We may be in an enviable situation this season. There loooks to be a lot of teams sitting there a t least willing to nibble at the fringes. Ottawa has quite a few players that suit that sort of appetite. Smyth, Ewles, Donoso, Sirman, and dever all seem to fit that category. These aren’t guys you trade and make out like bandits but you can get back some depth picks to help out later. Maybe those picks are the ones you use to roll the die on NCAA commits? Maybe picks you use to sweeten a trade? Either way, if those players don’t seem to fit on next year’s roster, then move them now while there may be a market for them.. Give them a spot to play. Win-Win.

We don’t have elite lines. Because of that, we need a third line that contributes. We had similar conversations last eyar regarding the Petes. They had the third line as mostly a shut down line but they could do that because they had the top two lines that were very strong. They also had a strong player (Stillman) on that 3rd line. Someone to anchor it.
That hybrid strategy makes a lot of sense if the opportunity arises to acquire those players. As for the lines I agree we don't have them this year but I do think with a center ( import ? Trade?) We could have them next year.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That hybrid strategy makes a lot of sense if the opportunity arises to acquire those players. As for the lines I agree we don't have them this year but I do think with a center ( import ? Trade?) We could have them next year.

If we are only looking at the existing players on our current roster, I don‘t believe we have the players to insert into the traditional roles required to be a contender.

I believe we only have three pieces of a competent top 4 next year. I don’t believe we have a signed player capable of playing as a #4 next year.

I believe we likely have two centres but not three. I am hoping Whitehead develops quick enough he can play the #3 Centre role in a similar way Gardiner played it in the first half last year. I am not sold he can play it in the 2nd half and playoffs on a contender. So, we may only have one centre or three required if we take that perspective.

I believe we are short one winger. I think we have a lot of depth wingers that can play a little. That assume Uronen is included in the returnees. I assume Stonehouse is gone. Uronen takes his spot. That leaves one spot open in the top 9 on the wing. We could elevate someone already signed but I think too many of the rest are the same sort of smallish winger that doesn’t produce enough offence. Speedy and small that go north-south fine but can’t sniff enough net.

So, I still feel we are four players short next year. Import can solve one. Trades would be required this year or next to resolve the other three. Maybe we can hope one internal candidate can step up, leaving it as two but I think that is wishful thinking.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I am beginning to think that Donoso doesn't like playing when he has someone pushing him. Mack goes down to injury and Donoso comes in and plays lights out. Mack comes back in and Donoso plays just so-so. It has happened before as well.

Depth. Been an issue all year. We have a couple of players sick, or injured and we can't ice a full forward line up. Sad when a defenseman, who hasn't played in seven months, comes in and is one of your best forwards.

An NHL drafted OA centre should be producing more.

Last year was the year to go for it. Boyd just didn't go far enough.

An import forward, even a 17 year old should be showing more than what Korbler is showing.

We won't go far with Marrelli / Ewles as 3-4 and Smyth / (Brady, Deitsch, Horner) as 5-6. I love Marrelli, but man Ewles isn't it.

We have a roster of 3rd and 4th line forwards right now. They are playing above where they should be located and it shows.

And I think the biggest thing is we are missing is Dagenais coaching the defense. That can't be said enough.
From the beginning has been a we are going to play and develop what we have but our goal is to recoup and rebuild. before we get into the danger zone of not having the picks or players to be a top 5 team.

What screwed up the plan was nothing the team did but what the rest of the conference is doing.
OMG and I agreed along with others that this year was a year to rebuild to bring in new young players and recoup draft picks. The only thing that we needed to trade for was a cheap 2nd line center to fill in the hole and let Whitehead develop.

We were all going to be happy trading Donosos and Stonehouse and maybe some Defence.

Then it happened the Petes got off to a great start, we started to win some games and the rest of the conference was ho hum not sure what I want to do.

We did not have the bench strength and went into the season with little wiggle room of players to bring in from the stands.

A player drafted in the 7th round is yes in theory a drafted NHL player. BUT usually, it is a team looking at a player that has something and might get better how many 7th-round players get signed to NHL contracts. 6'6" 200 plus is a skill you take a chance on it is not a drafted going to play in the NHL player. If it was then the cost would have been much higher.

When we got Lawrence, he was welcomed and we all thought it was a good move. Again what changed? Nothing in Ottawa except Uronen getting hurt and the rest of the conference sucking.

As to boyd not going far enough He brought in the 2 hottest players in the OHL. He added what was needed. The one thing that no one has figured out is that in order to beat the Petes it is not star power that is needed. It is to have the players that will pound you into the boards every chance they get. The Petes don't care about losing the first 2 games of a series. They care about hurting you and making you hear their skates when you are along the boards. Always have and if they stick with the plan always will.

Korbler is a rookie who is 5'10" tall and 157. He is playing far from home and is in fact a ROOKIE in a new country with a new team and a new way of playing hockey. He was the 3red last pl;ayer drafted. endo Meir who was drafted in front of him had 1 assist in 4 games and went home.

FINALLY

we went into the year knowing that we did not have any star power except maybe Pinelli. There was no great 2nd line last year that was going to come back as our first line.

How much are you willing to spend to get an OA center that can play first line as that is what we need. How much are you willing to spend for an OA RH defenceman (realizing as OPM stated Kingston over paid)

Does anyone here think that that is going to make us an OHL Conference powerhouse against Sudbury, Brantford and Mississauga?

Also who are you going to replace Donoso with?

Again the plan has to stay as the plan this is a year to rebuild and gain experience as a defensive hockey team. Yes I know the run and gun of old was exciting but it does not win in the playoffs

The 67 at this point can not bring up Nelson or Diestch for the only reason that both teams are competing and they are important parts. You can bring them up but do not ask another CCHL team to take a player again.

Reactions: dirty12

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I've avoided commenting on Thursday's atrocious effort. We've played the bottom feeder teams twice in three weeks and stunk out the joint both times. Thursday, we allowed a goal against less than a minute after scoring ... not once but 3 times. That's coaching and leadership. Fixing that will take time.

All of that being said, I have no idea what to expect one game to the next. Maybe that's why I go back. It's not the genius-level parking at TD Place. I've certainly seen worse hockey.

Yeah, I know. I'm a whiner.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
From the beginning has been a we are going to play and develop what we have but our goal is to recoup and rebuild. before we get into the danger zone of not having the picks or players to be a top 5 team.

What screwed up the plan was nothing the team did but what the rest of the conference is doing.
OMG and I agreed along with others that this year was a year to rebuild to bring in new young players and recoup draft picks. The only thing that we needed to trade for was a cheap 2nd line center to fill in the hole and let Whitehead develop.

We were all going to be happy trading Donosos and Stonehouse and maybe some Defence.

Then it happened the Petes got off to a great start, we started to win some games and the rest of the conference was ho hum not sure what I want to do.

We did not have the bench strength and went into the season with little wiggle room of players to bring in from the stands.

A player drafted in the 7th round is yes in theory a drafted NHL player. BUT usually, it is a team looking at a player that has something and might get better how many 7th-round players get signed to NHL contracts. 6'6" 200 plus is a skill you take a chance on it is not a drafted going to play in the NHL player. If it was then the cost would have been much higher.

When we got Lawrence, he was welcomed and we all thought it was a good move. Again what changed? Nothing in Ottawa except Uronen getting hurt and the rest of the conference sucking.

As to boyd not going far enough He brought in the 2 hottest players in the OHL. He added what was needed. The one thing that no one has figured out is that in order to beat the Petes it is not star power that is needed. It is to have the players that will pound you into the boards every chance they get. The Petes don't care about losing the first 2 games of a series. They care about hurting you and making you hear their skates when you are along the boards. Always have and if they stick with the plan always will.

Korbler is a rookie who is 5'10" tall and 157. He is playing far from home and is in fact a ROOKIE in a new country with a new team and a new way of playing hockey. He was the 3red last pl;ayer drafted. endo Meir who was drafted in front of him had 1 assist in 4 games and went home.

FINALLY

we went into the year knowing that we did not have any star power except maybe Pinelli. There was no great 2nd line last year that was going to come back as our first line.

How much are you willing to spend to get an OA center that can play first line as that is what we need. How much are you willing to spend for an OA RH defenceman (realizing as OPM stated Kingston over paid)

Does anyone here think that that is going to make us an OHL Conference powerhouse against Sudbury, Brantford and Mississauga?

Also who are you going to replace Donoso with?

Again the plan has to stay as the plan this is a year to rebuild and gain experience as a defensive hockey team. Yes I know the run and gun of old was exciting but it does not win in the playoffs

The 67 at this point can not bring up Nelson or Diestch for the only reason that both teams are competing and they are important parts. You can bring them up but do not ask another CCHL team to take a player again.

To be clear, I have stated that I am fine with either way, make a run at a reasonable cost OR to be a seller at competitive prices. BUT, be one or the other. I am happy for either Option provided we can make it happen.

I fear what will happen is we make a reasonable trade to fill the open OA spot, likely for a reasonably priced winger, and then roll with what we’ve got and let the chips fall where they may.

I’ve laid out the minimum requirements to be a winner this year. I’ve laid out the minimum requirements to be a seller this year. Management needs to execute one of those two options for me, as a fan, to be happy with the results of this season.

I see one of two rosters…

Winner
Pinelli - Gardiner - Foster
Gerrior - TRADE - Stonehouse
Barlas - TRADE - TRADE
Kelly - Whitehead - Dever

Mayich - Mews
Marrelli - TRADE
Smyth - Ewles/Brady

MacKenzie
TRADE

Players traded or released: Donoso, Horner, Korbler, Lawrence
Players added: three OA’s and one Import

Seller
Barlas - Lawrence - Dever
Hilton - Whitehead - Kelly

Mayich - Mews
Marrelli - TRADE
Smyth - Brady

MacKenzie
TRADE

Platers traded or real eased: Donoso, Horner, Korbler, Ewles
Players added: 18yo + OAx1, OR OAx2, plus a backup goalie to get through season

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
To be clear, I have stated that I am fine with either way, make a run at a reasonable cost OR to be a seller at competitive prices. BUT, be one or the other. I am happy for either Option provided we can make it happen.

I fear what will happen is we make a reasonable trade to fill the open OA spot, likely for a reasonably priced winger, and then roll with what we’ve got and let the chips fall where they may.

I’ve laid out the minimum requirements to be a winner this year. I’ve laid out the minimum requirements to be a seller this year. Management needs to execute one of those two options for me, as a fan, to be happy with the results of this season.

I see one of two rosters…

Winner
Barlas - TRADE - TRADE
Kelly - Whitehead - Dever

Mayich - Mews
Marrelli - TRADE
Smyth - Ewles/Brady

MacKenzie
TRADE

Players traded or released: Donoso, Horner, Korbler, Lawrence
Players added: three OA’s and one Import

Seller
Barlas - Lawrence - Dever
Hilton - Whitehead - Kelly

Mayich - Mews
Marrelli - TRADE
Smyth - Brady

MacKenzie
TRADE

Platers traded or real eased: Donoso, Horner, Korbler, Ewles
Players added: 18yo + OAx1, OR OAx2, plus a backup goalie to get through season
I have a question: what is the difference between a rookie and an euro rookie. Considering that he is almost the last person drafted I think Korbler had an upside that we have not realized as we have been spoilt with picks. We usually do not have a second-round pick and considering we were on e fot last teams finding an impact player is hard. Next year is Korbler's year for draft.

None of the players you have listed for release or trade are worth anything in a trade.

Even if we make the changes you list this is still not a championship team it is a maybe better than the others. The cost to make them are too huge and will mess up the future of the team.

My team is

Seller
Gerrior - Lawrence - Dever
Barlas - trade - kelly
Hilton - Whitehead - Korbler

Mayich - Mews
Marrelli - Ewles
Sirman Horner
Smyth - Brady

MacKenzie
TRADE

If we can get another OA, then great but do not release or trade anyone else. We are going to need extra bodies for the last half of the season.

We started with Plan A and I really do not see a reason not to stick with Plan A.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have a question: what is the difference between a rookie and an euro rookie. Considering that he is almost the last person drafted I think Korbler had an upside that we have not realized as we have been spoilt with picks. We usually do not have a second-round pick and considering we were on e fot last teams finding an impact player is hard. Next year is Korbler's year for draft.

None of the players you have listed for release or trade are worth anything in a trade.

Even if we make the changes you list this is still not a championship team it is a maybe better than the others. The cost to make them are too huge and will mess up the future of the team.

My team is

Seller
Gerrior - Lawrence - Dever
Barlas - trade - kelly
Hilton - Whitehead - Korbler

Mayich - Mews
Marrelli - Ewles
Sirman Horner
Smyth - Brady

MacKenzie
TRADE

If we can get another OA, then great but do not release or trade anyone else. We are going to need extra bodies for the last half of the season.

We started with Plan A and I really do not see a reason not to stick with Plan A.

Either a kid can play or he can’t. It doesn‘t matter what round the player was drafted in or where he comes from. The team also needs to consider the value of a player and his replacement. Rookie 17 year olds that don’t have a goal at Christmas are a dime a dozen. They don’t need to be protected and clutched close to the chest because they are the second last player picked in the Import draft and they have accomplished more than the player picked in front of them. When you project the returning players on next year’s team, there really isn’t a spot for him. You can’t have an 18 year old Import playing 4th line when you can only roster two of them. You need to look at the replacement value of the pick Ottawa would be passing on that 1st round Import pick (assuming they keep both Uronen and Korbler). Maybe we are able to fill that spot on the defence next year with a first round Import pick.

I don’t see a scenario where Ottawa trades Stonehouse. It is possible but I don’t think Boyd has the heart to do it. You know I am all for them trading him. I’d prefer to get an 18 year old centre for him than just picks but that may be a tough trade to make. I’d also like to see Kelly get more of an opportunity but he has squandered his opportunities this Year. I am starting to worry about the kid.

Releasing players is also a means of giving them somewhere to play. I did miss putting Sirman on my chart. He’s likely start on the 4th line and like usual, he would move up and replace wingers not performing that night.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Either a kid can play or he can’t. It doesn‘t matter what round the player was drafted in or where he comes from. The team also needs to consider the value of a player and his replacement. Rookie 17 year olds that don’t have a goal at Christmas are a dime a dozen. They don’t need to be protected and clutched close to the chest because they are the second last player picked in the Import draft and they have accomplished more than the player picked in front of them. When you project the returning players on next year’s team, there really isn’t a spot for him. You can’t have an 18 year old Import playing 4th line when you can only roster two of them. You need to look at the replacement value of the pick Ottawa would be passing on that 1st round Import pick (assuming they keep both Uronen and Korbler). Maybe we are able to fill that spot on the defence next year with a first round Import pick.

I don’t see a scenario where Ottawa trades Stonehouse. It is possible but I don’t think Boyd has the heart to do it. You know I am all for them trading him. I’d prefer to get an 18 year old centre for him than just picks but that may be a tough trade to make. I’d also like to see Kelly get more of an opportunity but he has squandered his opportunities this Year. I am starting to worry about the kid.

Releasing players is also a means of giving them somewhere to play. I did miss putting Sirman on my chart. He’s likely start on the 4th line and like usual, he would move up and replace wingers not performing that night.
If this team were heads an above Korcbler's ability then yes I would agree. But you then run into a couple of questions.

1. Who do you replace him with? We don't have anyone on the bench or stands.

2. If you release him I think it becomes harder to attract players in the future. Especially at this time of year when all Euro teams are full.

I agree that he is a rookie who should have been sent down to the CCHL to get experience. The challenge with that is the same one I have been harping about all year.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU HAVE TO REPLACE HIM?

I also have a hard time seeing Stonehouse traded but my reason dovetails with the WHO question above.

I would like to see Kelly get a consistent 3rd line minute and Korbler get a consistent 4th line.

I think the biggest challenge to this team is the lack of consistency with lines and minutes.

Again this is partly Boyd's fault and partly Camerons for starting the season with such a short bench

Putting Sirman on the 4th line makes no sense. If he is going to play forward then move him up to 2nd or 3rd line when there is a problem. Use him as the energy player that can dish out the hhits and stir the pot.

As to Jared Nelson I can guarantee that the phone lines from Landsdawnt to NAVAN are broken. A first place team with the 4th bet goalie is not going to talk to Boyd until after the playoffs are done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad