Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
OMG said:
"The defence. Wow. The best GAA in the league. It is all smoke and mirrors"

No, it's not a mirage; It's a testament to superb goal-tending, superb team defence, and superb coaching/management. I don't see any of these factors changing in the 2nd half. Actually, we may get better as injured players come back and push lesser players further down the roster, and as Boyd makes some tactical changes (hopefully).

So, is there any reason to think the 67s won't continue their 1st half winning ways?

NordiquesForeva says it well:
"Nothing good is going to come from winning games 2-1 while being outshot and physically outmatched by a wide margin every game. That's my biggest concern at this point. Our top players are going to wear down and/or get injured..."

Unfortunately, the 2nd half is different from the 1st. Talented teams get better, tougher to play against and win against. What's enough to win early on may not be enough later on. The 67s can continue their superb performances, but the opposition will get better and we will be outperformed. We don't have enough offense developing internally to compensate and the defence really can't get any better.

How do we avoid being outclassed in the 2nd half?

We won't develop from inside fast enough this year (and I don't know if we have the talent internally). We'll need some injections of supporting talent. Nothing expensive or fancy or even particularly skilled. Just guys who will keep us in the game long enough and let our skilled guys work their magic. We will still be out-shot and out-hit but we may sneak in from behind and surprise everyone with a credible finish. I'm hoping anyways for an underdog story.

Reactions: RB76

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
ive only seen the 67s a few times this year but they seem to play ewles a decent amount, 4th in ice time among d from what i can see.

Yup and what we are saying is it is too much for his level of ability within the Ottawa system. I’m sure he’d be better in a less structured system that allows a little more free flow. His skills suit that. But, in a system that is highly structured and doesn’t allow for mistakes, he can be exposed quite often.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG said:
"The defence. Wow. The best GAA in the league. It is all smoke and mirrors"

No, it's not a mirage; It's a testament to superb goal-tending, superb team defence, and superb coaching/management. I don't see any of these factors changing in the 2nd half. Actually, we may get better as injured players come back and push lesser players further down the roster, and as Boyd makes some tactical changes (hopefully).

So, is there any reason to think the 67s won't continue their 1st half winning ways?

NordiquesForeva says it well:
"Nothing good is going to come from winning games 2-1 while being outshot and physically outmatched by a wide margin every game. That's my biggest concern at this point. Our top players are going to wear down and/or get injured..."

Unfortunately, the 2nd half is different from the 1st. Talented teams get better, tougher to play against and win against. What's enough to win early on may not be enough later on. The 67s can continue their superb performances, but the opposition will get better and we will be outperformed. We don't have enough offense developing internally to compensate and the defence really can't get any better.

How do we avoid being outclassed in the 2nd half?

We won't develop from inside fast enough this year (and I don't know if we have the talent internally). We'll need some injections of supporting talent. Nothing expensive or fancy or even particularly skilled. Just guys who will keep us in the game long enough and let our skilled guys work their magic. We will still be out-shot and out-hit but we may sneak in from behind and surprise everyone with a credible finish. I'm hoping anyways for an underdog story.

Pretty sure you missed the point. It is a mirage because you cannot continually be outshot and rely on goaltending to save you; therefore, the defence numbers are a mirage. You cannot expect this team with its overall depth to maintain a team GAA of 2.96 (including empty net goals). Expecting this team with no additions other than players coming back healthy to improve their “team defence” is quite Short sighted. Then you suggest we need additions to compete against other teams advancing? Which is it? Do we need players to add to maintain our standing or do we not? Or, do you think the defence will remain the same but adding a forward or two will improve our scoring enough? I’m not exactly sure where you are going here.

If this team remains status quo on the back end and simply fills an OA spot with a winger, this season will quickly swirl down the drain. They will be in tough to score enough goals and will continue to rely heavily on goaltending to save them.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Pretty sure you missed the point. It is a mirage because you cannot continually be outshot and rely on goaltending to save you; therefore, the defence numbers are a mirage. You cannot expect this team with its overall depth to maintain a team GAA of 2.96 (including empty net goals). Expecting this team with no additions other than players coming back healthy to improve their “team defence” is quite Short sighted. Then you suggest we need additions to compete against other teams advancing? Which is it? Do we need players to add to maintain our standing or do we not? Or, do you think the defence will remain the same but adding a forward or two will improve our scoring enough? I’m not exactly sure where you are going here.

If this team remains status quo on the back end and simply fills an OA spot with a winger, this season will quickly swirl down the drain. They will be in tough to score enough goals and will continue to rely heavily on goaltending to save them.
Knowing how much OMG and I agree on things it saddens me to say that I do not think doing cosmetic changes will hurt this team this year.

As we have discussed this conference is a mess. The only team that might do major surgery is Sudbury and I am not convinced that they are making a run for it this year.

That being said Kingston has come back to earth and is a 500 team, Brantford is hot and may make a run for first but is not going to be doing a lot of major trading. Mississauga is next year's team along with possibly Barrie so unless either can make a deal for a star 19-year-old that will be back next year I do not see a lot happening.

That leaves us. If we stand pat with the players we have we are going to be competitive based on our goaltending and top 4 defence. I think it is safe to say that no matter what trade we make we are not going to be a high-scoring team this year or probably next year for that matter.

If we keep Donoso and Stonehouse then we will stay at the level we have and possibly higher. If we get an OA center then yes we may be a little better but that is not a guarantee.

No matter what this team is going to be at worst a 3-4 seed in the conference and possibly the number 2 seed.

We really have only 9 tough games for the rest of s]the schedule.

At the start of this year, we knew this was not going to be a number 1 team the only difference is that we did not realize how bad the rest of the division was going to be. Personally being the number 3 seed in the conference going into the playoffs is not a bad thing for this team this year

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Knowing how much OMG and I agree on things it saddens me to say that I do not think doing cosmetic changes will hurt this team this year.

As we have discussed this conference is a mess. The only team that might do major surgery is Sudbury and I am not convinced that they are making a run for it this year.

That being said Kingston has come back to earth and is a 500 team, Brantford is hot and may make a run for first but is not going to be doing a lot of major trading. Mississauga is next year's team along with possibly Barrie so unless either can make a deal for a star 19-year-old that will be back next year I do not see a lot happening.

That leaves us. If we stand pat with the players we have we are going to be competitive based on our goaltending and top 4 defence. I think it is safe to say that no matter what trade we make we are not going to be a high-scoring team this year or probably next year for that matter.

If we keep Donoso and Stonehouse then we will stay at the level we have and possibly higher. If we get an OA center then yes we may be a little better but that is not a guarantee.

No matter what this team is going to be at worst a 3-4 seed in the conference and possibly the number 2 seed.

We really have only 9 tough games for the rest of s]the schedule.

At the start of this year, we knew this was not going to be a number 1 team the only difference is that we did not realize how bad the rest of the division was going to be. Personally being the number 3 seed in the conference going into the playoffs is not a bad thing for this team this year

Is the goal to maintain the #2 seed and potentially lose in round one to a team similar in the standings? The Petes could definitely finish 7th and we’d face them in round one. If we don’t make moves, it would be a 50-50 shot for us to win that series.

Reactions: RB76

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Is the goal to maintain the #2 seed and potentially lose in round one to a team similar in the standings? The Petes could definitely finish 7th and we’d face them in round one. If we don’t make moves, it would be a 50-50 shot for us to win that series.
The problem I see is that we ride a fine line. There are a lot of questions.

1. If we do the right thing by Donoso and trade him how much are we weakened in nets? I think that losing Donoso could hurt as it will put too much pressure on MacK and our defence.

2. If we move and acquire too many pieces, are we not doing what we didn't want to do this year by refilling the draft positions? I am not saying that we are going to draft those players or positions but it sure helps when trading to have some GOOD picks to trade.

3. Looking at this team do you really see even if we add 2 OA (which means getting rid of Donoso) this team getting any stronger?

I think you would agree that at training camp we would have been more than happy with finishing 4-5 this year. The fact that the rest of the conference is so screwed up is what confuses things.

Could we end up playing the Petes in the first round sure but we could also end up laying Kingston or Oshawa.

There are too many questions about this team to be answered. The only way we can improve is to bring in a top player. AN OA Center is not going to make a great deal of difference to this team. Yes it will free up DFoster to play wing but it is not going to make a huge imprint on the scoring.

Frankl;y I would be happy with this team finishing mid-pack in the OHL and playing well if we can draft for a better quality of player.

No matter how you look at it this and next yer re going ot be building years. You can not be at the top as long as we are without taking a break and replenishing your team. Even the NHL has gone through that.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Re: Collin Mackenzie - I don't claim to know the kid personally, but I would be surprised if he demanded a trade. He needs to think of the long game here - he is almost certain to be playing his OA year next season, so why not do it in an organization he knows and likes and where he will be the undisputed starter in 24-25? There is no guarantee if he goes elsewhere that they keep him as the starter next September. He needs a big OA year to get a pro offer, and Ottawa can give him a ton of starts. Demanding a trade would be extremely short sighted.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Re: Collin Mackenzie - I don't claim to know the kid personally, but I would be surprised if he demanded a trade. He needs to think of the long game here - he is almost certain to be playing his OA year next season, so why not do it in an organization he knows and likes and where he will be the undisputed starter in 24-25? There is no guarantee if he goes elsewhere that they keep him as the starter next September. He needs a big OA year to get a pro offer, and Ottawa can give him a ton of starts. Demanding a trade would be extremely short sighted.

I’ve seen it happen too many times. And usually how it happens is a walk out trade demand where the player sits at home and waits Because the team had made its decision. I’m not saying it WILL happen but it has and it is something that we need to factor. Additionally, it isnt fair for his development, nor his draft/pro status. It would be different if he were an 18 year old but he’s not. He is far too good of a goalie (one of the leagues top 5) to be sitting in a backup role, effectively behind a weaker goalie.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The problem I see is that we ride a fine line. There are a lot of questions.

1. If we do the right thing by Donoso and trade him how much are we weakened in nets? I think that losing Donoso could hurt as it will put too much pressure on MacK and our defence.

2. If we move and acquire too many pieces, are we not doing what we didn't want to do this year by refilling the draft positions? I am not saying that we are going to draft those players or positions but it sure helps when trading to have some GOOD picks to trade.

3. Looking at this team do you really see even if we add 2 OA (which means getting rid of Donoso) this team getting any stronger?

I think you would agree that at training camp we would have been more than happy with finishing 4-5 this year. The fact that the rest of the conference is so screwed up is what confuses things.

Could we end up playing the Petes in the first round sure but we could also end up laying Kingston or Oshawa.

There are too many questions about this team to be answered. The only way we can improve is to bring in a top player. AN OA Center is not going to make a great deal of difference to this team. Yes it will free up DFoster to play wing but it is not going to make a huge imprint on the scoring.

Frankl;y I would be happy with this team finishing mid-pack in the OHL and playing well if we can draft for a better quality of player.

No matter how you look at it this and next yer re going ot be building years. You can not be at the top as long as we are without taking a break and replenishing your team. Even the NHL has gone through that.

1> We are improved in net because MacK is the better goalie. There becomes no question of who the starter is and who will ride that role through the playoffs. If there is an injury on any team, likley they are inthe same situation. If having a starter calibre backup were a key element, all teams contending would trade for one.

2> You go into the season with a forecast. Then based on results and performance, you adjust. If the team were forecasted to be a top team and expected to buy, would You still buy if the team had a .400 win% and sitting in 9th? No. You’d sell.

3> Yes. If we add two key OA’s, the team would be exponentially better. We are in a bad situation with respect to where our gaps are. The key elements to a team competing are three bonafide centres, three scoring wingers, four top D-Men (including a PP QB) and a top third of league starting goalie. We have all those elements except we are short one centre and one top 4 D-Man. That is the foundation. The rest are filler and you try to match chemistry. Without those key elements, you have no chance at winning In the playoffs. You may as well not even try.

With no additions, we would be a toss up against Kingston, Peterborough, Brantford, and North Bay in round one. We’d lose to Missy and Sudbury. We’d beat Barrie, Oshawa and Niagara but I think those will be the bottom 3. If we end up in the #2 seed, we won’t play any of those three.

Our last six wins were by one goal. Three of those were against Oshawa who is currently out of the playoffs. We are starting to see the opposition start to up their game. We are barely keeping pace. In fact, we have been heavily outshot in many games over the last month. I know that is something that suits your argument but I believe adding those two elements plus one additional 3rd pairing D-Man to play with Smyth would go a long way. Sirman will add a little umph when he returns, likely in the 3rd line. Something we are missing.

I’d be happy to finish middle of the pack as a SELLER. If we chose to sell Stonehouse, Donoso, and Smyth, I would be happy. But if we nibble and add an OA winger and finish 4-5, I will be some pissed off. I think we know Boyd is not going to trade Stonehouse. As much as I’d be ok with that “rebuild” sort of move, I highly doubt it will happen. So, I am shifting focus to trying to make a measured run.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think if MacKenzie wanted to be traded, he would have been in a wolves uniform this past weekend.

Stonehouse will be an OA imo

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think if MacKenzie wanted to be traded, he would have been in a wolves uniform this past weekend.

Stonehouse will be an OA imo

Regardless of whether a player demands a trade, the team should do right by the players, especially when they are goalies. I could make a compelling argument that the 67’s have two starters rated in the top 10 in the league. If the team is completely unable to make it happen, so be it. I still believe Donoso is best suited to be on a middle standings team that has just OK defence.

Stonehouse may very well be an OA but with an NHL contract, I think he will at minimum be in the AHL with a start in the ECHL. He skates well enough to play at the AHL level. He’s a pest so his development curve likely doesn’t include a top 6 role at the NHL level ever.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Regardless of whether a player demands a trade, the team should do right by the players, especially when they are goalies. I could make a compelling argument that the 67’s have two starters rated in the top 20 in the league. If the team is completely unable to make it happen, so be it.

Stonehouse may very well be an OA but with an NHL contract, I think he will at minimum be in the AHL with a start in the ECHL. He skates well enough to play at the AHL level. He’s a pest so his development curve likely doesn’t include a top 6 role at the NHL level ever.
more than a few signed, FAs in particular have played in the OHL as OAs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If the 67’s don’t trade him and he returns, it will leave Ottawa with one pretty decent OA of the four good ones returning. It would be nice to snag a few extra picks for one of them.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
1> We are improved in net because MacK is the better goalie. There becomes no question of who the starter is and who will ride that role through the playoffs. If there is an injury on any team, likley they are inthe same situation. If having a starter calibre backup were a key element, all teams contending would trade for one.

2> You go into the season with a forecast. Then based on results and performance, you adjust. If the team were forecasted to be a top team and expected to buy, would You still buy if the team had a .400 win% and sitting in 9th? No. You’d sell.

3> Yes. If we add two key OA’s, the team would be exponentially better. We are in a bad situation with respect to where our gaps are. The key elements to a team competing are three bonafide centres, three scoring wingers, four top D-Men (including a PP QB) and a top third of league starting goalie. We have all those elements except we are short one centre and one top 4 D-Man. That is the foundation. The rest are filler and you try to match chemistry. Without those key elements, you have no chance at winning In the playoffs. You may as well not even try.

With no additions, we would be a toss up against Kingston, Peterborough, Brantford, and North Bay in round one. We’d lose to Missy and Sudbury. We’d beat Barrie, Oshawa and Niagara but I think those will be the bottom 3. If we end up in the #2 seed, we won’t play any of those three.

Our last six wins were by one goal. Three of those were against Oshawa who is currently out of the playoffs. We are starting to see the opposition start to up their game. We are barely keeping pace. In fact, we have been heavily outshot in many games over the last month. I know that is something that suits your argument but I believe adding those two elements plus one additional 3rd pairing D-Man to play with Smyth would go a long way. Sirman will add a little umph when he returns, likely in the 3rd line. Something we are missing.

I’d be happy to finish middle of the pack as a SELLER. If we chose to sell Stonehouse, Donoso, and Smyth, I would be happy. But if we nibble and add an OA winger and finish 4-5, I will be some pissed off. I think we know Boyd is not going to trade Stonehouse. As much as I’d be ok with that “rebuild” sort of move, I highly doubt it will happen. So, I am shifting focus to trying to make a measured run.
I am not arguing who the better goalie is I am saying that we are not as strong if we just have MacK.

Yes, there was a plan and to be honest I think they are going to stick with the plan.

Any OA that you get in a trade is just a place filler you rarely get a stud.
A 3rd line center will have minimal affect on this team.
Do you really think any team is going to give a top 4 defenseman for cheap.

Again I am not of the belief that we have to be the best every year. Even if we add the players you state we will still not be able to beat Sudbury or Mississauga.

This is a tired and worn down team that need to resolve some issues.

Personally if they can remove Uronen and open a spot now that would be somewhere I would look but I am not sure it is possible.

We do not have a powerline this year that can score at will.

We have a team that is going to win games by playing 2-way hockey by playing defence until we get an opening. That can be a tiring game for players But the addition of 2 OA is not going to resolve it.

The question that has to be asked is does any team want Donoso and Smythe.

Stonehouse is a commodity that a few teams will want but the price may be low I am not sure.

If Boyd can get a good price for Stonehouse I think he will trade him if not then he will stay.

Boyd and the owners came into the season with a plan.

You keep saying that NB and the Petes will be selling players and will fall in the standings. So really I am not worried about them.

Brantford is turning out to be a team to beat and I think they will give Mississauga a run for the money.

Looking at the condors and the oiler system Stonehouse will be a condor next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am not arguing who the better goalie is I am saying that we are not as strong if we just have MacK.

Yes, there was a plan and to be honest I think they are going to stick with the plan.

Any OA that you get in a trade is just a place filler you rarely get a stud.
A 3rd line center will have minimal affect on this team.
Do you really think any team is going to give a top 4 defenseman for cheap.

Again I am not of the belief that we have to be the best every year. Even if we add the players you state we will still not be able to beat Sudbury or Mississauga.

This is a tired and worn down team that need to resolve some issues.

Personally if they can remove Uronen and open a spot now that would be somewhere I would look but I am not sure it is possible.

We do not have a powerline this year that can score at will.

We have a team that is going to win games by playing 2-way hockey by playing defence until we get an opening. That can be a tiring game for players But the addition of 2 OA is not going to resolve it.

The question that has to be asked is does any team want Donoso and Smythe.

Stonehouse is a commodity that a few teams will want but the price may be low I am not sure.

If Boyd can get a good price for Stonehouse I think he will trade him if not then he will stay.

Boyd and the owners came into the season with a plan.

You keep saying that NB and the Petes will be selling players and will fall in the standings. So really I am not worried about them.

Brantford is turning out to be a team to beat and I think they will give Mississauga a run for the money.

Looking at the condors and the oiler system Stonehouse will be a condor next year.

Let’s break down their needs and potential price.

1> Front line centre (OA)
Last year we acquired Morrison but he was a bit of a unicorn of sorts. He was a league leading scorer as well as the previous year’s playoff MVP. The 67’s had to pay a lot for him. 19 year old forwards like Harrison, Zhilkin, and Arcuri went for two 2nds and three 3rds. That is double what OA’s typically go for at the same level. Some OA wingers have gone for as little as an 8th round pick or as high as a 3rd and 5th. I imagine if the market frees up, we could get an OA centre for a 2nd And a 3rd which is what we received for Beck. That would be a player that would play 1st line with Stonehouse and Gerrior. That pushes Gardiner-Pinelli-Foster to 2nd line.

2> Top 4 D-Man (OA)
This typically doesn‘t cost all that much. It really depends on the impact you are looking for. In our case, we’d be looking for someone capable of playing beside Marrelli. I think we could trade a 3rd and 5th for that type of player. If we wanted to go harder, we could look at Mayer but that cost will be in the 2nd+3rd range with maybe a skater or an additional pick as well.

3> Bottom pairing D-Man
That is something that can be had relatively cheap. A kid like Leskovar was traded last year for a 5th and 10th as a 19 year old.

Some will suggest if we had Beck then we’d be in a different situation. But, we could theoretically trade the two picks we got for him and secure the centre with a similar impact but at a more needed position.

We also have some spare part D-Men that may be desirable to other teams. A team like the Petes may be more interested in a body (Horner) than an extra draft pick.
I believe we can release/replace Uronen during the same window for trading the 16 year old 1st rounders. So, like January 1 to 10? Something like that.

The 67’s are in an enviable position right now. They do have tradable assets to do what they need to do to transform the roster. You and I agree they could also be sellers. BUT, if they are sellers and the return on a kid like Stonehouse would be too low to bother trading him, logically speaking, that also means acquiring players and making a run will be less than normal. So, you can’t have it both ways. If it is a buyers market, then we should buy. If it is a heavy sellers market, we’d get a really good package for Stonehouse but we’d be surrendering the season.

If they at least add a Centre that is similar to Lawrence and add a D-Man that can play with Marrelli, then that would be the absolute minimum. I could live with that. It would stretch out the roster a bit, give then some much needed relief and could help the wingers a bit to increase their scoring. Not ideal and definitely not enough to get out of round 2 but enough to at least not see them struggle all season to score.

Will Stonehouse be suspended for his 5 and 10?

Likely. Usually a minimum 2 games for the Game Misconduct. But, the league will review and assess whether the 5 minutes should have been called. The problem with some of these now are the officials automatically call the 5-minute Major if there is any chance it is and then review it to reduce it. The issue is if there isn’t a good camera angle or a close enough angle, they can’t overturn it. IF the league feels it was a 50-50 and no injury, it could be reduced.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
In the end Boyd and company will do what they see is best for the team and we can either like it or complain forever. I will be glad when the trade deadline comes and goes so then we can discuss the play of the team rather than our conception of what it should look like.

Stonehouse has been discussed daily and we do not have the answer even if we may think so.

I believe a decent overage center would help a lot with the team makeup and then some others could play where they feel more comfortable. A solid d-man who can take care of his own zone and move the puck up the ice would help significantly.

But like I said we have no input or decision making power with this situation.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Let’s break down their needs and potential price.

1> Front line centre (OA)
Last year we acquired Morrison but he was a bit of a unicorn of sorts. He was a league leading scorer as well as the previous year’s playoff MVP. The 67’s had to pay a lot for him. 19 year old forwards like Harrison, Zhilkin, and Arcuri went for two 2nds and three 3rds. That is double what OA’s typically go for at the same level. Some OA wingers have gone for as little as an 8th round pick or as high as a 3rd and 5th. I imagine if the market frees up, we could get an OA centre for a 2nd And a 3rd which is what we received for Beck. That would be a player that would play 1st line with Stonehouse and Gerrior. That pushes Gardiner-Pinelli-Foster to 2nd line.

2> Top 4 D-Man (OA)
This typically doesn‘t cost all that much. It really depends on the impact you are looking for. In our case, we’d be looking for someone capable of playing beside Marrelli. I think we could trade a 3rd and 5th for that type of player. If we wanted to go harder, we could look at Mayer but that cost will be in the 2nd+3rd range with maybe a skater or an additional pick as well.

3> Bottom pairing D-Man
That is something that can be had relatively cheap. A kid like Leskovar was traded last year for a 5th and 10th as a 19 year old.

Some will suggest if we had Beck then we’d be in a different situation. But, we could theoretically trade the two picks we got for him and secure the centre with a similar impact but at a more needed position.

We also have some spare part D-Men that may be desirable to other teams. A team like the Petes may be more interested in a body (Horner) than an extra draft pick.
I believe we can release/replace Uronen during the same window for trading the 16 year old 1st rounders. So, like January 1 to 10? Something like that.

The 67’s are in an enviable position right now. They do have tradable assets to do what they need to do to transform the roster. You and I agree they could also be sellers. BUT, if they are sellers and the return on a kid like Stonehouse would be too low to bother trading him, logically speaking, that also means acquiring players and making a run will be less than normal. So, you can’t have it both ways. If it is a buyers market, then we should buy. If it is a heavy sellers market, we’d get a really good package for Stonehouse but we’d be surrendering the season.

If they at least add a Centre that is similar to Lawrence and add a D-Man that can play with Marrelli, then that would be the absolute minimum. I could live with that. It would stretch out the roster a bit, give then some much needed relief and could help the wingers a bit to increase their scoring. Not ideal and definitely not enough to get out of round 2 but enough to at least not see them struggle all season to score.
I think that adding an OA center and D is probably the max for this team. That also has to mean keeping everyone we have except maybe a D.

The challenge with that is you are looking to this year and not the future. I think that Boyd has a long-range plan and that is what they will stick to. Minimal trades if avail will be done but I really think if they get an offer for Stonehouse and Donoso they will take it

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think that adding an OA center and D is probably the max for this team. That also has to mean keeping everyone we have except maybe a D.

The challenge with that is you are looking to this year and not the future. I think that Boyd has a long-range plan and that is what they will stick to. Minimal trades if avail will be done but I really think if they get an offer for Stonehouse and Donoso they will take it

They will add the OA, probably a centre. Whether they go get a D-Man, I don’t know. If they do, they are essentially giving up on Ewles because Brady and Dietsch are likely #5-6 next year. Makes Ewles redundant. If he can’t be a top 4 now, he likely won’t fit there next year. If they choose to roll with Ewles and Marrelli as the second pairing, it likely means they feel Ewles is they guy there next year.

My sense is they are not going to trade Stonehouse. Maybe they trade Donoso for all the same reasons we have discussed. I think they may trade Smyth as well. They’ve been trying him out in different situations. That could be for the opposition scouts or it could simply be them seeing if they have something more than they think.

I’d also like to see them move another redundant body on the back end and bring up Dietsch for the 2nd half. I like what I have seen. I think it would be good to give him some time in the 2nd half. Let him practice with the team.

It really is a tough puzzle to piece together this year. Dever looks to be out 8-10 weeks so he won’t be back until well into February. That opens a spot for Sirman I guess.

I’m not sold on Korbler. 5’10” 157? He has some speed and skating ability but he hasn’t had it translate at all into offence. We are approaching Christmas and he has three assists. I really wonder if he returns after the Christmas break.

I don’t know what to think of Kelly. He seems to be asserting himself more the last couple weeks but 2-2-4 isn’t cutting it either. We can’t give up on him but he needs to start showing more as well.

Maybe I am just too enamoured with their place in the standings? Like both Nords and I have said, their results don’t really pass the eye test. Are they for real or not? Are they jsut good enough in a weak division and conference that they are smoke and mirrors‘ing this enough to fool us?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting that Kingston found Schmidt and not us. That may say something of what they are planning

They then traded Budnick so it looks more like maybe there was a trade request for Budnick and the Fronts managed to move him and acquire Schmidt in his place?

It would seem odd that Kingston were a buyer and then trade Budnick right after acquiring Schmidt?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
They then traded Budnick so it looks more like maybe there was a trade request for Budnick and the Fronts managed to move him and acquire Schmidt in his place?

It would seem odd that Kingston were a buyer and then trade Budnick right after acquiring Schmidt?
Yeah but he would have been the player we needed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad